• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Best Set of Binoculars for a Canada Caribou Trip

SSSTaxidermy

I've got a Caribou hunting trip planned in Canada next year (2010). For the most part, I have the appropriate gear except for a GOOD pair of binocs. I've got a cheaper pair, but that will not cut it up there...

I understand that a good pair of glassing optics will be one of my most important items. I've did some moderate research online. I must say, I'm a huge Nikon Fan, so in a way I'd like to stay with them. However, I'm open to other brands as well. All my scopes are Nikon Monarchs, I'm happy with them, and have had great results. I'll need something that can handle the diverse climate conditions, not just give me a nice view when the weather is at perfect conditions.

Looking for input on everything to specs, diversity, ruggedness, water/fog/weather proof, etc..

Thanks in advance

24 -7 go to your local bargain cave and see what they have. There should be quite a few pairs there ,check em all out.Sure there returns but you can usually get areal quality pair a couple hundred bucks less than new. Every hunter owes themselves a good pair of optics. They will become youre most important tool.I picked up a pair of zeiss 10x30 and they have been awesome $275.00 6 years ago , i wont leave home without them ! I think when you glass gobblers and can see his spurs 200 yards out its a pretty good pair!

My dad has a pair of leicas and loves them, he has an older pair and always says he never regrets spending too much money on binos.

I have a pair of Kowas and they are just as clear as my dads Leicas for about 1/3 the price. Although you can never go wrong with Nikons (all of my scopes).

If you really want the best for your caribou hunt and talk yourself into the $$$, you'll never regret a pair of Swarovski's.

Almost 20 years of beating them up and they're still going strong. Impervious to everything I've thrown at em. 4 trips to Alaska plus everything else including dropping them out of a deer stand down all the steps of an aluminum extension ladder (not my favorite stand).

I can still judge beards on turkeys from one bluff to the other.

Your title was "Best".... grin

BTW, you want something that doesn't strain your eyes from glassing for long periods. Nice contrast and sharp image.

Two coke bottles may work well at high noon, but what I've always thought was important was which ones do the trick the first and last half hour. Trouble is at least in a store you can't tell cause they are so well lit. When I am getting ready to spend I bone up on the info on light gathering capabilities and then try and make the best decision I can afford with that as the main criteria. It gets a bit confusing and you have to read a lot of stuff to be able to cut through the marketing lingo but it's worth it. Almost always the bottom line is parallel to the $$$.

fujion (spelling) used the leica's, swar's and all the best-- for $600 bucks, fujion 7/50 are unreal. It's what the military uses. Tom7227 hits the nail on the head,, but I think at around 500 $$ you get into a really nice binoc. No need for the absurd.

I got a Cabelas brand a handful of years ago and after looking at the various binocs I found I could see a big difference the $100 variety and the $400-$500 variety. I did not see a huge difference between the $500 and the $800-$1000 ones so I bought a $500 variety. I love the low light quality and overall crispness.

With all of the $ I have spent on binocs over the last couple decades, I couldve owned a set of Swarovskis...... but I dont.

Ive tried several pairs of Nikons and they work great till they wear out, which in my opinion is premature. I bought a pair of Leupold Wind Rivers, and have never been as disapointed in a pair of binocs, as I was with them, and all my rifle glass is Leupold!

In my opinion, the most best binoc for the money is the DCFWP Pentax.

I have some Burris Signature Series and really impressed with them. I use them deer hunting and some bird watching. I went in looking to buy Nikons (which I like and have rifles scopes) but ended up buying Burris on advice of a birder at the store. I also got them for decent price, but the normal price wasn't that low.

I agree with fivebucks, the jump in quality from a $200 to a $500 pair was huge to me - I think the Burris were about $500 retail at that time, not sure now...

Thanks for the replies and suggestions...I've viewed through a handful of binos the past week or so. I have noticed that if I spend around that $600 range...I can get a very good optic, Huge, Huge difference if I dipped under $500....I was told by a couple guys in sporting good stores, to hold off a bit here, as most manufactures haven't distributed their 2009 line yet...And they guessed they'd see them mid summer or so..

The IS feature sounds interesting. I wonder if it isn't more important on the more compact units. I have a pair of 7X35 Steiners that I like. When I got a some of the compact units the shaking got to be a big issue at the higher powers. Problem is that the price really takes a jump on the Canon rigs if you go bigger than the 12X35.

Anyone else have any input on the IS feature?

I bought a pair of Leupold 10x42's last year for my caribou hunt and they were awesome in the snow and rain, compact enough to fit in a pocket of a jacket (I hate them around my neck). I think they are the green rings, for 300 bucks I think it's a good deal.

Mike

I'll throw in another vote for the DCFWP Pentax being the best glass fort he money. If my rich Uncle was buying I'd be going Swarovoski's for sure. The difference between $500 and $2000 binoc's isn't what they are like coming out of the box, it's what they are like after being bounced around in the truck and hunting pack for 15 years. The Swaro's will still be crisp and clear, and it will be time to buy another pair of the $500 variety.

if you're lookin at purchasing a pair for a hunting trip, then i'm guessing they wouldn't be used very often. if you were buying them to own a good pair on the otherhand, then you would make it sound like they would be used often. there aint nothin wrong with Nikon binocs. i've got the 12x50 action ex. waterproof, fog proof, very clear, and less than 200 bucks. have had them in use for 5 vigorous years. still like brand new.

The one thing I like about the Nikons is their "no fault policy" Drop them out of a tree onto a rock and they will replace them whereas others may scrutinize the damage. I think the no fault policy applies for 25 years