• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

"Poll" - Minnkota Co-Pilot remote location

PTocko

I just added a co-pilot to boat and I am wondering where people "wear" their remote. I like the idea of mounting them on the fishing pole but I do not want to go out and buy enough to equip all my poles if this doesn't work. I know this is probably a matter of personal opinion but just wandering where others are wearing their remotes. Don't know how to officially conduct a poll but if anyone can chime in - location and why it would be helpful. Thanks for the input. Paul

We hang it on a lanyard, around our neck. Easy to swap to buddy when fighting a fish, or just trading off. Then we hang it around the steering wheel when not using it, so it doesn't get lost. Works good for us, but we will be getting a second one so two guys can control (i.e. fighting fish, tying knot, taking a nature break, etc.)

I used to have it on my rods, but didn't care for that. I found a spare remote on C-list. So I keep that on the console and flip it to a buddy if I need them to take over. The other is on a lanyard that I have tied to a rod holder right by my console.

I wear the remote around my neck on a lanyard and I feel it is the best option when I am guiding. It is very comfortable, accessable, and out of the way all at the same time. I also have a spare remote programmed on a lanyard that I will give to a friend or some one in my boat if it is real windy out or for some other reason we are needing to 'correct' the boat position regularly. Then when you are rigging or landing a fish you have all the freedom you need.. your buddy can navigate and keep you on the fish instead of doing doughnuts. Auto Pilot is also a great option.. but unless you have a button on the remote to turn it on or off (like the Terrova) I don't care to use it.

Auto Pilot is also a great option.. but unless you have a button on the remote to turn it on or off (like the Terrova) I don't care to use it.

I agree, don't use my auto pilot nearly as much since I have my co pilot. My next Trolling Motor will be the Terrova.

So, on the powerdrives, you can't adjust the direction with the copilot while the auto is turned on? I had an old one with auto,you just adjusted with pedal while it was on, why is the co-pilot any different that you need to shut auto off to adjust?

I always keep mine on my wrist...I've found it much easier than around the neck. I also have an auto-pilot and I am able to re-direct my position with the co-pilot remote. Very nice feature in the wind or when working a particular breakline or flat.

So, on the powerdrives, you can't adjust the direction with the copilot while the auto is turned on? I had an old one with auto,you just adjusted with pedal while it was on, why is the co-pilot any different that you need to shut auto off to adjust?

just to clarify...

You can change the direction with the co-pilot but.. the reason I don't like it is that I fish from behind the windshield and I don't like running up to the front to turn the AP on and off with the button on top of the motor. And most all of the time I prefer to make adjustments myself then let a compass do it for me...

Having said that.. on the Terrova, one could turn the AP on with the remote when you do want to use it (so it is normally OFF in stead of on).. this is great when you are tying lines or messing around doing whatever just turn the AP on then when your ready to take over you can hit the button on the remote and take control again....

I had a terrova on my last boat and loved the AP and Instant high speed buttons on the remote.. I will have a new Terrova on my next boat again..

Thanks for the replies - interesting more people aren't using the fishing pole mounts. I kind of figured this would be the way to go. What I might do is mount a couple and see if I really like it. Otherwise, the lanyard seems like a good "safe" solution - how can you go wrong with the remote around your neck.

Also, its intersting about the AP not being used as much. Pre-copilot I used all of the time. I figured the co-pilot would just make the AP that much better. I have a tiller and move around a lot anyway so going forward to turn the AP on/off maybe isn't as big a deal as if I fished from the back more.

Thanks again for the responses - can't wait to get on the water and try it out. Looking out my window at lower prior, one sheet of ice left (that I can see). Upper looks open. Maybe next week. Paul

I have a 3 year old and 7 year old, as well as a wife that won't touch bait or the fish....

Needless to say, I LOVE autopilot.

My copilot is mounted on my fishing rod with zip ties.

90% of our fishing is for panfish or walleyes and we pretty much use the same light graphite rods, but I'm constantly putting new lures / bait on, or (since I'm such a great guide :D) taking fish off (never mind they're 6" sunnies).

Anyways, if you're the only one running the boat, and if you pretty much use the same rod, I'd mount it on the rod, it's at thumb-tip control then.

Mine are on the rods. If you palm a baitcaster, you will get used to making adjustments in mid-cast, during the retrieve, and even fighting a fish. I don't have to take either hand off the reel to make an adjustment.

Try it different ways. Whatever you try, it will take a few hours to get used to.

I have a mount on each of my rods. It works well for me. The only problem I have run into is on some rods it is a little difficult to get the mount tight with the zip ties and for it to remain tight. One thing is for sure...I will never own another trolling motor without the co-pilot.

I put the remote on a lanyard around my neck. I also have my clippers and hook sharpener on the same lanyard. The co-pilot/auto pilot combo is great for boat control. I do wish that I had the Terrova, so that I could turn AP on and off from the remote. I usually just turn AP on when I drop the Minn-Kota in the water.