• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Maui Golf.....

picksbigwagon

Okay, I had a few days in Maui to golf, I actually golfed 5 days while were out and yes while it is expensive, I can honestly say 3 of the 5 courses were worth it. I started off in Honolulu and played a public course within walking distance of our hotel on Waikiki. It was called Awa Ell, I paid 42 bucks, residents paid 8 bucks, I would have no problem paying 8 bucks to play there again, but it was 18 holes of golf.

We headed to maui and I played 4 courses over there too. The first was Elle Air on Monday. I would compare it to many of the metro courses you can golf. It was nice, pretty well taken care of and there were some views of the ocean (I have cell phone pictures I will add later).

Next was the Wailea Old blue course. I have only been golfing a year, we played from the white tee's (I joined another guy from Canada who had been playing the course since it opened in 1972), I opened with a 50 and came back with a 46. I broke 100 on a really nice and challenging course. The greens were past firm. I fired a 4 hybrid from about 190 and it hit the green and rolled off, there was no ball mark, and I fired that ball at the pin too....I took some video of whales breaching in the water, but no pictures that day. I did score my first birdie that day as well...

Wednesday I played The dunes at Maui Lani. It is a dunes style course which I didn't realize meant really small greens with lots of bunkers. I liked this course, it reminded me a lot of Sand Creek in Jordan, except for the mountains and the multi million dollars homes. The wind was a killer, on 18 it took my 50 yard pitch shot and blew it 30 yards right, into the pond....I have some pictures of this course.

111.jpg

113.jpg

112.jpg

110.jpg

108.jpg

Notice the extra starch in the flags on that #18. That is my ball on the lower right of the screen.

The final day I played the Makena Golf Clubs North course. I and the guy I played with (another Canadian) both decided to play from the big boy tees (blue, not the back black tees) well I exploded for a 55 on the front nine which was fine since I lost a few balls and then hit into some rocks and believed I could hit it out ( I need a new 5 iron). I finally hit a groove on the back nine and managed a 46, I was playing well, still lost a few balls, but did get a 46. My shot of the week came at Makena on hole #13, a par 4 330 yard hole. there were no trees or nutli-million dollar houses so I ripped into the ball, and the result is down below.

13MakenaNorthcourse.jpg

I drove the green, yes I missed the eagle putt but I did get my second birdie of the trip and of my current golfing life.

I tried not to think about how much the golf cost, my wife did find a phone number to call of a company and it saved me over 50 bucks that last day at Makena. It was called Stand by golf. you call the night before for a tee time the next morning. Of course if I wanted to play and pay twillight fees I could have, but the wind is pretty strong out there at this time of the year. When I finished on Wednesday, I would say it was a constantly 20 with gust over 30.....

Enjoy

Picks...

Love the photos...thanks for sharing...looks like you had a blast.

Like I didn't have the itch BEFORE I saw those pictures....now I really want to get out!