• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Team #4 "TOMINATORS"

DonBo

Yeah, the weather was kinda rough on ya. Wait till next year. I'm sure they tell you in baseball, that since it's a team sport, when you have a bad day there's someone right there to pick you up. That'd be me. grin Not to worry, we're still gonna win this thing. smile

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Donbo you must be getting excited now with a couple of days until your season starts. The weather doesn't look to bad for you, maybe a little rain. Im sure It will be nice and dry in your double bull blind. Good luck to ya, hopefully you stick one.

DonBo, looks like the weather for your hunt will be just what a turkey hunter would order gringrin. Some rain and then sun shine. Good luck, I hope you seal the deal on that big one. grin

Thanks guys, due to some issues here at work I will miss tomorrow morning, frown but will be there in the afternoon. I will stay till Sunday evening, or till the tag is full. wink

I'm gonna tote my bow for a few days. After that there's no mercy! My partner is going to be there by himself in the morning. It's killin me that I won't be there with him, but lickily he's not much of a hunter so I don't think he'll do much to thin the herd. grin

Well, I'm back. Depressed. Was a very tough hunt. The only real opportunity I had was when my partner Dave shot his on day 2. Four toms came into the decoys but stayed way behind them. I had my bow. Told Dave to shoot because it was too far for me. He dumped his and the other three stayed and kicked the snot out of him. If I would have been toteing the 870 we'd have been done right there. Saw way too many hens and had more pressure than I've ever seen.

Luckily I have two more tags and like they say, It aint over till the the fat lady sings.

Oh well! Looks like you will get another shot on Wednesday. You can admit it, that your saving your tag for a monster. So we can win this contest. Good Luck Wednesday. I get to have some fun myself on Friday or saturday. I have two patterned pretty good, hopefullly they don't get disturbed or move on.

Good luck Delzz. I'll probably only get out maybe one morning this week, then the weekend. It's my MN tag that has monster written all over it and that is still a week away yet.

Today was my last shot at a WS bird, 9 days of frustration.

I'm a very patient man and love nothing more than setting the decoys in a field and waiting in my pop-up blind. However, I am also a realist and the patience thing was just not cutting it, so this morning I went old school. I grabbed my vest, my gun and a couple calls and went after 'em.

I headed up a large heavily wooded draw that usually holds good numbers of birds. I sat down and waited for a tom to give away his location. There were actually several in the area. The closest seemed to be on the other side of the ridge I was on so I headed up and over. I set up about 100 yards from what sounded like 3 toms together. There was also one just north of me and another behind me somewhere. Well just like my luck, when they hit the ground they headed the other way. I wasn't going to call any more than necessary this morning but I did then. They seemed to be getting closer, but not much. After some time one gobbled-right in front of me! Maybe only 20-25 yds, just over the edge of a steep drop. So the gun came up and I waited, and waited. Nothing. Then I heard him drumming off to my right. (of coarse I'm right handed and he's on the wrong side of me) I finally saw his bright white head only 25-30 yards away. For what seemed like 10 minutes but was probably much less I watched him strut and gobble behind a pretty thick patch of brush. Finally he got behind a stump and I made my move to turn on him and got away with it. Moments later his head appeared in the middle of a basketball size opening and that was that. Success on day 9!!!

Not the biggest bird by a long shot, but one I am very proud of and a hunt I will remember for a long time.

18 lbs, 6 oz. 10" beard, 3/4" spurs. I'll have photos and my registration form up tomorrow.

I'm back to work in the field and not in the office until Thanksgiving, so my computer time is way down. I posted some pictures in the Lets see some turkey pictures. I have had two good hunts last week. I called in 2 Toms for my cousin on his last day of his season. We went out about 5:30 pm and had the two tom come the decoys we had out about 15 yards. I had those birds pretty much figured out. I have been watching them for over a week. I wasn't so sure if I should of brought him there seeing my season started the next morning. He went out a day early with his wife and she shot her first turkey. So I helped him out so he could get his first turkey, 10 in beard 3/4 in spurs and 20 pds.

The next day I went to a different spot that I knew had some turkeys in the area. I set out some decoys and about 7 am a jake and a hen came in . After a about 5 mins I noticed that the jake kept looking back from which they came from. I kept looking over there and finally a tom appeared. I gave him some soft clucks and he started to make his way over. At about 20 yards I let him have it. 9 1/2 in beard, 22 pds and only 1/2 in spurs. I have been very fortunate this year 3 birds & 3 different states. I can't wait until next spring, though I will try this fall too. The other one that was with the one my cousin shot, should be a real nice tom next year, if he makes it. I think its time to try the string and stick next year.

Sounds like you've had a great season! Just to keep my frustration levels high I spooked two toms again this morning. Gonna be at the cabin the next couple days then I've got till Thursday to fill my MN tag.

Heard several this morning so I'm optomistic. Wish this darn pesky work didn't keep getting in the way. frown

Filled my MN tag early this morning. I'll try to get the story up later. Really looking fwd. to sleeping in tomorrow. Been a long tough few weeks.

I heard a few gobbles from above my listening position so I snuck up and spotted a bird in a pasture 100 yards away. I set up against the closest tree and made one series of yelps. I could tell there was more than one bird but not what they were or how many. I could barely see through a brushy fenceline but could tell at least one bird was coming my way. Another soft yelp and a full fan came into view. The first bird was a jake so I waited. The tom soon showed himself at about 25 yards and the trusty 870 did her job. After the shot I jumped up and spotted at least 6 hens running for distant cover. I just called two toms away from their harem. Spend enough time in the woods and all kinds of good things are bound to happen.

Almost a match of my WS bird. 18 lbs. 10 1/2" beard. 3/4" spurs.

Didn't mind sleeping in yesterday. Hunted at least parts of 13 of 16 days of my seasons since May 6th. Filled 2 of 3 tags so yes, it was a successfull season, but one of the toughest is recent memory. Decoys did nothing for me, calling rarely worked and I spooked darn near every bird I saw. Sometimes things just go like that.

If only eyehead would get his bird registered we'd have a shot at winning this thing. What do you suppose happened to him?

Yeh they made you work for them thats for sure. Its amazing that sometimes they come right in & sometimes you can try everything and they just don't respond. You had alot of days in the field the past few weeks. Did you learn anything you would like to share?

My brother & his buddy went back to Nebraska today at the last minute for the last days of the season there. I was disappointed I couldn't join them, that would of been fun.

Hopefully Eyehead is holding out for the last minute to keep it interesting, when is the dead line?

Yeh they made you work for them thats for sure. Its amazing that sometimes they come right in & sometimes you can try everything and they just don't respond. You had alot of days in the field the past few weeks. Did you learn anything you would like to share?

My brother & his buddy went back to Nebraska today at the last minute for the last days of the season there. I was disappointed I couldn't join them, that would of been fun.

Hopefully Eyehead is holding out for the last minute to keep it interesting, when is the dead line?

Oh yeah, learned many things, mostly what NOT to do. Am planning a post as soon as I have some time.

Eyehead put his registration form on the submission thread and said the rest of his photos were here. Don't see them yet. Hopefully soon. I believe tomorrow (Sunday) is the deadline.