• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Team #4 "TOMINATORS"

DonBo

Great job Dan. I was waiting to hear how you did. I saw you running around over the weekend and almost stopped when I saw you talking to Rebstock but was running late. Good luck this weekend on the mentor hunt I hope you get the kid one. My son did the mentor hunt a couple years ago and he had a fun time. Got some really cool footage of a hen trying to beat up the decoys. I think the guides name was Mark Iverson...I can''t remember..great guy tho. Oh, shoot, don't tell my team mates that I was hear...

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, the youth hunt did not go as well as hoped. Sat morning there was little gobbling nearby. I did call in a big hen, three times. She had no boy friends with her, what's up with that?

We then had a big tom come in close gobbling every few minutes but other than an early glimpse he never showed himself. The kid was pretty excited though.

This morning, lots of early gobbling but never heard so much as a cluck after 6:30. Never saw a bird today. Oh well, that's hunting.

Our youth hunt went quite well. We had nine boys and one girl participating. Two birds were tagged on saturday and one today. One bird was missed on saturday and one youth decided to pass on a jake. After the hunt on saturday all participants met at Birch Cooley Park for hotdogs and chips. After lunch each kid stood up and talked about their experience of the hunt. I had a great time and will definitely mentor again next year.

P4180534.jpg

P4180538.jpg

This is the bird tagged by the youth I was mentoring.

The bird had three beards, one 6" and two 7", and yes he is HOOKED.

P4170527.jpg

P4170531.jpg

Good job Dan! Wish our hunt went as good as yours but it was not meant to be. My kid went home with nothing more than good (I hope) memories and a wing bone caller I made for him.

I think there were only 4 of 10 successful hunts in the metro area. You're right, it was a very memorable and rewarding hunt for me and I will definitly be doing it again.

I think it's a success just getting the kids out to experience the hunt. Memories of the experience is what it's all about. The bird is a bonus. A wing bone caller??? well there you go. I bet that wing bone will be in his bag each hunt and be his go to call. cool

Taking the time to mentor the youth is a great experience and if anyone knows of a youth that is interested in turkey hunting get them in the program next year.

Dan

Well actually I have to work at the hog farm Saturday morning and afternoon and Sunday morning,I'm hoping to get out when I get off Saturday morning at about 9 and hunt til 1 and then get back out at about 3.My dad got one this morning,22.5 lbs/9.5 in beard/3/4 in spurs in the place where I'm going also and he said there was 3 other ones around when he shot his. They didnt spook either they just were looking around so he called and they gobbled right back and then he left them and they slowly walked away. I'm pumped!!!!!!!!

Hey guys I'm finally back. Had some work commitments and a family emergency I had to be at. Anyway I just realized I made a bonehead move and forgot to put the contest form along with the picture eek I was in such a hurry to get it cleaned and on the road that I forgot about the form...Sorry it was a rough week.

here's the pics....

dsc00108z.jpg

dsc00110nsc.jpg

dsc00111qtq.jpg

Scott's been a no-show, hope his hunt's going well. Kinda nasty weather yesterday, better today. Good luck!

Eyehead, still looking for your bird on the submission page...I'd want to be showin' that bad boy off to everybody! cool

Good Luck Scott I see under a different topic, you had some jakes around you saturday.

I harvested my first nebraska turkey last friday. We had quite the weather Wednesday 82, Thursday it was 85 and by friday late afternoon it was snowing which accumualated to about a couple of inches. Because of the snow and the forcast of another .25 inch of rain, we ended up leaving a day early. The roads were in pretty bad shape.

The birds did not respond to the calls at all, which was a little disappointing. We'll try going next year a week later and hopefully they won't be henned up so bad.

I posted a picture under the topic Lets see some turkey pictures

Good job delzz. Seems a little unfair you've got two in the box already and I haven't even gotten to look under the hood of mine yet. cry Nine days and counting... smile

hey guys,well I'm sittin in school right now because we have a baseball game and if you miss any school you cant play. I went out Saturday afternoon when I got off work and within 15 mins had 4 jakes within 20 yds and everytime they left and we called they came right back, but I didnt want to shoot beings it was the first day, and had 1 tom with a hen locked up on the ridge where I was going to sit,but when I got out there I called and he gobbled so I didnt wanna go onto the ridge and kick him out. Sunday I didnt get out it was pouring here all day and windy as heck. Yesterday I went out until 8:30 a.m. and had toms gobbling all over me until 7:00 a.m. then it was like someone hit the mute button,not a one gobble after that and seen nothing. Went out last night from 4-8 p.m to a spot where there has been 10 toms/jakes/hens feeding EVERY night and I mean EVERY night since last Saturday and of course the night I go,not one showed up! Won't be getting out tonight so I'm planning on doing the run-n-gun all day tomorrow, beings we dont have any baseball on Wednesdays. So wish me luck at worst I should be able to get those jakes back in!

Haven't done much scouting but we've got permission on 4 great farms that get very little pressure. One good friend and I have been hunting the same spots for years. Been a long time since we didn't fill out.

This first week is always the big one for me. We take the camper down and spend the full 5 days in the woods. The next week will be probably just the weekend. (Really busy at work right now) Think I'm gonna leave the camper and bring my wife that weekend.

My MN season will be mostly just before work. I do have permission on two new pieces of property that total 250 acres here in the metro zone that I'm pretty excited about.

Yes, my May will be busy. Gotta love it huh? Just hope there's room for some fishing in there somewhere. smile

Scott, How'd your hunt go???

Went out this morning and had 4 toms gobbling right outta the roost. 2 were to the west across the ravine and 2 were to the east across another ravine. Sat til 9 and got soaked to the bone so I decided to go home and get a dry set of camo. Went back at 9:30 and snuck up to where I thought the 2 to the west were and sure enough they were gobbling right across the ravine where I was sitting earlier,so I didnt call and snuck back to the truck and went up to where I originally was hoping I could sneek within a 100yds or so and get one to come in. Well I got back to the first spot and it was dead quite. By this time I'm pretty PO'd and tired! So I just sat by the tree waiting to hear something,about an hour later the 2 to the east gobbled on the hillside where they were in the morning so I clucked a few times and it sounded like they were getting closer because I couldnt see them but it sounded like it. Well there was a hen with them and I seen her come down the hill and go out of sight which I thought was good because she would maybe come straight up the hill right by me and the toms would follow. Nope didnt see anything of her after that and the 2 toms wouldnt leave the opposite hillside. Then it started raining again and its like someone hit the mute button,no gobbles for the rest of the time I was in the woods. Then 12:30 came and I had an appointment at 1:30 so I got outta there. Went back after baseball practice at about 5 and nothing was gobbling. Sorry guys,just wasnt my year I guess,best of luck to the rest,I'll be watching to see the results!!