• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

95 chevy 1/2 ton rough idle

my truck idles very rough, sometimes dies.

i put new plugs and wires in. the rotor and cap were replaced and still in good condition before i bought it 40 k ago.

anyother segestions???

it might just be a factor of 275,000 miles

I'd get the cylinder compression checked, before anything else. IF that checks out ...then look at other things, such as ngr, idle air control, different sensors, dist cap, etc. My rebuilt engine only had 31000 miles on it when I went through all that. Did all the OTHER stuff first, without success, before checking compression. 1 cyl. was 20, another was 40, the other 4 were over 100. SHOULDA got that checked first......

My F150 was doing the same with a 125K and it turned out to be either the fuel filter or the Mass Air Flow sensor needed cleaning. I did them both the same AM and runs fine now. Both were cheap fixes after buying new spark plug wires and spark plugs. Sometimes it's the easiest things but the hardest to diagnosis. You can clean the MAF sensor with electric contact cleaner or MAF sensor cleaner in a can that you just spray onto the two wires to clear the gunk off of them.

i got a 93. and mine had the same problem awhile ago. we put a cap, rotor, plug wires, plugs, and a never PCV valve and that fixed it. it was pretty cheap to and all that was still stock to i figured it needed to be replaced anyway at 145,000 at the time. got 170,000 on her now

U would be good to do a tune up with that many miles on it. If I remeber right it has the funky cap with the crossover electrodes in it. Sometimes they break in the middle and show no signs of damage otherwise.

Are you getting a check engine light at all? If so that might give you a starting point.

^Found On Road Dead. Chevy, like a rock-it sits there and does nothing like a rock.

Sorry I couldnt help myself. All cars suck in one way or another.

Anyways, if the O2 sensor was really bad it will cause a running rough problem as its not adjusting the air/fuel mixture properly. Since you got a check engine light for it, plop a new one in there and see what happens. I would bet with that kind of mileage its needing it. Also, its gonna help the MPG so thats a added bonus to changing it out.

Matt, I could help you with some diagnostics if you want. I would start with simple things like vaccum leaks and ignition issues. Have you replaced any fuel filters? My shop is in new prague. How was Gogebic for jumbos a few weeks ago?

E-mail in signature

Ya there is always the posibility of the intake problems.

However, since there is a check engine light on, figure out what it is. Any auto parts store will be able to at least pull the code for you and its probably the quickest way to get a starting point for figuring out whats wrong.

alright guys thanks for the help but i think im going to cut and run with this truck.

i would fix it up but it has some major cancer and lots of other problems: cracked manifolds, needs new exhaust, engine work, brakes are about gone.........ect

i just dont think its worth sticking a fue K into a truck that i paid 1500 for a year and a half ago. it owes me nothing and its time to retire it.

im looking for a similar style truck so i can use this one for parts.