• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

bait for cool water channels?

Gordie

I have never had any luck with stink bait. Stink bait is for the southern states that are warm. Try doing minced garlic and chicken liver. Put them in a ice cube tray place your favorite hook in with them then put them in the freezer. You could also first put them in panty hose. That way the stay together. In the summer let it stay in the sun for a week or so.

chicken livers- marinaded in anise, garlic and tuna or mackerel oil... then chunked up in tied in a little square of pantyhose (tie opposite corners like a little hobo sack)and kept in a bucket of the "marinade" and then hook lightly onto a largish thin wire circle hook.... this way the stinky, sloppy bait will put a good sized slick in the water, enough to stand out from the rest of the winter-killed gunk on the bottom and yet not fall apart on first cast.

Don't rule out crawlers this time of year with all the run off happening. You might out fish cutbait, since the ice has been gone for some time and the temps pretty stable. Because of that, not a lot of shad andbaitfish are dieing off or thawing for them to eat.

I am using garlic this year. I still remember someone dunking his cutbait in the garlic butter sauce that came with his delivered pizza. About 5 minutes later he had a channel on shore.

Orange jig with 2 0r 3 fatheads. Though this time of year where I fish them I think they will take anything when their in.

I use the a big ole bobber to keep away from the snags, way to rocky to fish off bottom without a snag, on the bottom.

Quote:
way to rocky to fish off bottom without a snag, on the bottom.

Best thing to do (IHF) in those area's is cast out and drop your rod right down to the holder or "Y" stick. No reel'in early, no pull'in! The fish will find it and pick it up. It lowers your snag-up per cast ratio big time wink

Early bait of choice for me is Frozen river chubs from the year before. Or get some and freeze them for a few days before you go out..Freezing minnows makes the cells in the body expand and explode so when they slowly unthaw on your hook they release a ton more scent in the water and chubs seem to be of their choice over suckers or anything else I have tried.