• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Winthrop Harbor

We normally fish out of Algoma with Howard Kinn in August but last year was a terrible bite so we're going to try the spring coho/steelhead run in Winthrop Harbor IL with Kinn. Has anyone done this trip and is the fun what it's all cracked up to be? Thanks.

Never been that far south, but if it's anything like mid may in Milwaukee, you're in for a blast. 2 years ago was the last time I was there in May, and we caught 20 silvers in an hour and 20 minutes. We lost more fish than we caught. Rods popping left and right with fish everywhere. Most fish were in the 3-5 lb. range. Every now and again we'll get a stray king in May, too.

loosegoose,

I've done it. You'll have a good time. It's like everything else, weather and fish dependant. But I've gone out with Kinn's service about 15 times. Never been disappointed. Action should be fast. Have fun.

i'm heading down the first weekend of may. may just be able to fish from shore on the weekend. any good shore spots around winthrop harbor, waukeegan, etc.... any good tributaries?

Is this the dike your talking about Bob? I may check it out. Whats off that point?

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=42.363237,-87.812326&spn=0.003662,0.010943&t=h&z=17

Goose,

6 of us went out 2nd weekend of may last year with Mr. Kinns son(Kinn's Katch II) and all i can say is wow. Had 2 eight hour days booked and we caught 63 total in about a total of 6 hours (between the 2 days)If I remember correctly we caught 17 king, 7 steelhead, 1 laker and all the rest were coho. Biggest king were 15,16 and 17 lbs. Have fun!!!

s2h, no that's not it. It is south of that where you see the boats coming out of the channel. There is a light house on the end I believe. When I fished it you could fish the north and south dike. I don't know if you still can. I haven't been there in about 2-3 years. There is a bait shop in town called the Salmon Stop. They can give you the low down on the fishing there. If you buy something in there shop they are more free with info. The perch are biting good on the main lake 40-70ft.

Fished with Kinns Friday the 24th PM and Saturday the 25th am. Fishing was SLOW! 10 fish total, 5 bites on Friday with all 5 caught, 8 bites Saturday with 5 caught.

Tried for some steelies on the Root Saturday afternoon but nothing going there. Did see a few fish caught. By Sunday morning there were flash flood warnings and the river had come up a couple feet, so we headed for home.

Here's the skinny. It was a great with our limit of 20, for four guys of course, on Monday afternoon in about 5 hours. We also lost more than we caught. Went out again Tuesday morning the 26th about 4:30am fishing about 5. We had our 20 fish by 7:30. It was pretty action packed with three fish on two different times and landing all three of them both times. The bite was definitely on and not many boats out fishing. We had four species both days, Chinook (kings), Coho (silvers), Rainbows (steelhead), and Lake Trout (laker). Most Coho averaging around that 6-8lb range and the biggest king about 15lbs.

Here's the skinny. It was a great with our limit of 20, for four guys of course, on Monday afternoon in about 5 hours. We also lost more than we caught. Went out again Tuesday morning the 26th about 4:30am fishing about 5. We had our 20 fish by 7:30. It was pretty action packed with three fish on two different times and landing all three of them both times. The bite was definitely on and not many boats out fishing. We had four species both days, Chinook (kings), Coho (silvers), Rainbows (steelhead), and Lake Trout (laker). Most Coho averaging around that 6-8lb range and the biggest king about 15lbs.