• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Understanding Bass.............

dudewheresmyboat

It depends on the lake and the time of year. If its a dirty lake I will generally concentrate shallow. Clearer I assume there are plenty of fish out deep and unless I find out otherwise, I work on that. So many variables there...

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Deitz Dittrich

Good stuff on the weather! But lets not forget to throw in current and wind driver currant. We shouldn’t forget that almost if not all Pro Bass fishing contests are on rivers! How did Hank Parker say it?--- “The first time I went fishing in northern Minnesota I just about drove myself crazy looking for the side of the lake with the dam on it.”

Good stuff though on the specific gravity and barometric pressure. I don’t think I’ll throw an hydrometer in my tackle box though. smirk

good post Deitz.

I am far less experienced then most on here and for the most part i read and take in information instead of giving it for that reason. Just one thing i've learned over the past couple years is remember that the "rules" of fishing dont always aply. For example i caught most of my big fish last year 4+ lbs throwing top waters around 12-2 oclock in the afternoon on a sunny blue bird sky type day. When most people were out fishing the deep weedlines i was fishing 2 feet and under up in the slop (hence my name:D). I try to be differnt and am not affraid to break the rules. Again pro's give tips to help us and they do work along with all the information given on here cause this is a great site and people know what they are talking about. All the things said on this thread are true and they will work and have been proven to do so. But every once and a while you have to go against the norm, because if everyone on the lake is doing it then your chances at success is lower. I'd rather focus on the fish that haven't seen as many lures. just my two cents not saying im right just my past experience.

sometimes I just let it sit on the bottom for a while too and then pull the line in to see if there is tension. Early in spring I find that the BIG largemouth will not take out line when you drop it in on them, they will suck it in and sit there and you wont know they are on until you reel in.

Your right guys, Jason is a good stick. However, I know he has been quite busy as of late. Dont be offended, he may not have anything to add. If you have other questions, please feel free to post them. One of our great memebers will chime in I am sure.

-How and where do bass move from april through september?

I look at bass like people, they want to be comfortable. They will relate to areas where their comfort is met. In the early spring when the water is still cold this could be the shallows where the sun can warm the water quickest (northern parts of the lake, and shallow bays warm first) and as the summer progresses and the water temps get very warm some bass may go deeper where the water is coolest. With that said whatever depth a bass is relating too they will be in a spot where their is abundant forage and cover, two critical things bass need to be comfortable (Kind of like how us humans live in a house "cover" and have a refrigerator "forage" near by)

-Where do the big girls hide after the spawn?

After the spawn it's my understanding that the "big girls" will go a little deeper to recooperate, they aren't necessarily looking to feed at this time, although there next stop will be normal summer haunts (deep weeds, thick cover, docks...), this will probably be the next time you have a good shot at hooking up with a couple.

-What type of structure do I look for during the months of July-August in search of big girls and why?

Comfort zones, Its HOT during those months and the fish want to sit "indoors" during those long summer days, The thickest nastiest cover you can find should hold fish, underneath docks in the darkest areas of shade and also out deep near the weed edge were the water may be a couple degrees cooler and they have a good ambush point for prey that may swim by.

-What is staging and why do they do it?

Stagaing is the inbetween times, When the water hasn't warmed enough to draw most fish into the shallows for spawning. The fish want to go shallow but its just not warm enough yet. Good staging areas are usually the first drop leading up to a shallow flat.

-When and why should someone fish deep?

Usually the deep bite picks up as the season progesses, as the water warms and bass start looking to cool down a big deep weeds/and structure for that matter provide all of the "comforts" that bass need. And why should someone fish deep? well the simple answer is because there are fish to be caught deep. I still do most of my fishing shallow but if you can locate deep water bass they are generally less pressured and more likely to bite.

-What is inside/outside weedline?

The inside weedline is the weed edge closest to shore, and the outide weedline is the weed edge closest to deep water.

Hope that helps clarify things a little bit even though I am no "pro"

~Craig

Do bass also reside INSIDE the weeds? I've actually caught a bass that bit 5 feet in front of me in gin-water and the darn thing came from inside some dead/dying grass!

Needless to say that was the strike of my fishing life.I actually saw the trebles embed on the bass' mouth!

Bass are ambush predators. If they arent IN the weeds they will be right on the edge using it as an ambush point. Same goes for underneath a dock. The best way I can describe it is...have you ever looked into a house window that doesnt having and lights on on a bright sunny day? Its difficult to see inside. The shadow cast by the dock recreates that effect and since the baitfish can't see "into the house" WHAM meal time for the bass