• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

I would be a little nervous!

They sure do look cool. I was on my way home and saw 6 of them floating above the river so I stopped to watch for a little while. They were all landing in a tree across the river so I went home and got my camera and my son and went to find them. I found about 11 of them sitting in 2 trees in one yard. My son, who's 7 says, "yeah that can't be good"!

Yikes! I haven't seen any yet. But I just saw the 1993 Pulitzer prize winning photo by Kevin Carter of a tiny little girl trying to crawl to a feeding area in Sudan during the famine. A vulture is sitting behind her on the ground--waiting. Your son is right--that can't be good. Of all the Pulitzer Prize winners, this is the one that just stunned me.

That picture reminds me of William Faulkner's "As I Lay Dying," with the vultures circling over the farm and foreshadowing the death of Addie. I remember reading it for a high school English class and thinking, "what a miserable, morbid book." I wouldn't wish that book on anyone, but it is apparently a rite of passage (or maybe teachers really are just mean and want to see students suffer grin)

That picture reminds me of William Faulkner's "As I Lay Dying," with the vultures circling over the farm and foreshadowing the death of Addie. I remember reading it for a high school English class and thinking, "what a miserable, morbid book." I wouldn't wish that book on anyone, but it is apparently a rite of passage (or maybe teachers really are just mean and want to see students suffer grin)

I forgot about the vultures. Loved your comments. My daughters friend in college called it "As I Die Reading."

Yep, this reminds me of catfishing on the hottest day of the summer a couple years ago. It must have been 100+ degrees & we were really feeling it after 7-8 hours. I knew it was time to bail when the turkey vultures started circling overhead! It was was so funny because the timing was perfect.