• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Yamaha Recalls Rhino

Dave S

Yamaha recalls 120,000 off-road vehicles after 46 deaths

By NATASHA T. METZLER , Associated Press

WASHINGTON - Yamaha Motor Corp. USA recalled about 120,000 off-highway recreational vehicles for repairs Tuesday, after two models were involved in 46 deaths.

The two-passenger vehicles are designed for drivers over 16 years old with valid drivers licenses, although some reported deaths involved younger children who were passengers or who operated the vehicles against recommendations, according to the Consumer Product Safety Commission, which announced the recall.

All Rhino 450 and 660 model vehicles were recalled for repairs designed to prevent accidents that resulted in 46 deaths and hundreds of injuries. The reported deaths occurred between the fall of 2003, when the vehicles were first distributed, through this year.

More than two-thirds of the incidents were rollovers. According to the CPSC many of these involved turns on level ground at relatively slow speeds. A number of incidents also involved riders not wearing seat belts.

The repairs are designed to reduce rollover risk, as well as to improve handling and keep riders' limbs inside the vehicles.

Rhino 450 and 660 owners should stop using these vehicles and call their local dealer to schedule an appointment for repairs.

Not sure if this recall has to do with the doors and the OSH (Oh $h!T handle) they mount on the console. My dad had the same thing done to his.

This recall notice just arrived in my e-mail from ATVAM today. According to the release, the repairs performed are designed to reduce the rollover risk. That wouldn't include doors. Maybe wheel spacers to widen it out?

I have to step out for a couple hours but will do more diggin' on this when I get back.

More than two-thirds of the incidents were rollovers. According to the CPSC many of these involved turns on level ground at relatively slow speeds. A number of incidents also involved riders not wearing seat belts.

We have rolled them before but it takes a little more than level ground at slow speeds. I wonder how many roll overs took place after a couple cold ones.

Here's another update on the recall. It looks like wheel spacers will be added to the rear and the sway bar removed. I can only imagine this will greatly affect the ride.

Yamaha recalls Rhino off-road vehicles following rollover deaths

Today, the Consumer Products Safety Commission urged owners of Yamaha Motor Corp.'s Rhino 450, 660 and 700 off-highway recreational vehicles to stop using them immediately until they are repaired by a dealer. The repairs include installation of a spacer on the rear wheels as well as the removal of the rear anti-sway bar. The aim is to reduce the Rhino's propensity to roll over. Because of that flaw, Rhinos have been subject of many lawsuits.

The CPSC staff has investigated more than 50 incidents involving an astounding 46 driver and passenger deaths. More than two-thirds involved rollovers. In addition, says CPSC spokesperson Scott Wolfson, there have been a significant number of injuries.

The Rhino is a utility terrain vehicle (UTV) that seats driver and passenger side-by-side. Unlike an ATV, it has a steering column, a roll cage, and seat belts. And, unlike ATVs, these vehicles are not required to meet any safety standards. In fact, there are no voluntary safety standards that cover UTVs. We urge RHOVA, the Recreational Off-Highway Vehicle Association, to develop a comprehensive and effective safety standard as soon as possible to reduce further death and injury.

According to Jason Shamblin, an attorney from Birmingham, Alabama who represents victims of Rhino rollovers, this is Yamaha’s third attempt to address the injuries associated with its vehicles. In 2006, Yamaha sent out stickers that warned riders to keep their arms and legs inside the vehicle. In 2007, it offered a “silent recall,” not announced by the CPSC, that provided owners with free doors to help contain occupants. Today’s announcement, although not termed a recall, is in fact a large recall of some 120,000 450 and 660 models. In addition, 25,000 Rhino 700s are part of the repair program. (The Rhino 450 and 700 were recalled last year due to risk of brake failure.)

Another attempt by Big Brother to protect stupid people from doing stupid things? This could be the start of the end of the UTV...

Or design improvements.wink Just trying to be optimistic.

Reminds me of when they banned three wheeleres! It's not the machine thats hurting or killing people, it's the idiots driving them. I'm sure just like in the case of the 3 wheelers, alot of irresponsible parents put their children in the Rhino's and say "have fun"!

Although I agree that there is a percentage of irresponsible people who caused these accidents, it would seem to me that a design change might be in order.

I found no recalls on the Prowler related to rollovers, only two related to brakes with no injuries reported and the only one related to the Ranger is about catching fire. That's kinda major, but a fire starting isn't as sudden as rolling over.

From everything I've found one reason people cite to get a Rhino is it fits in the bed of a pickup (narrower than the others) yet many people who choose to upgrade suspensions go with a wider track for better stability.

This reminds me of the Suzuki Samurai.....

I have an 04 660.It is great that it fits in the back of my pickup. I won't take it in just because of this. We have had alot of fun on it and never came close to rolling it. I agree it will roll easier than the rest, but I don't feel it is unsafe.

Based on the news release only the rear wheels will have spacers added to widen it out. I would suspect that it won't be so much that you couldn't get the vehicle into the back of a full size pickup. It would maybe help however to also widen out the front to make it even more stable.

Powerstroke wrote: This reminds me of the Suzuki Samurai.....

Reminds me of the Ford Bronco 2. They never issues a recall, they just quit making them. Actually I think Firestone was blamed for the Ford Bronco 2 rollovers. Ford then started making the Explorer with a wider wheelbase than the Bronco 2.

Powerstroke wrote: This reminds me of the Suzuki Samurai.....

Reminds me of the Ford Bronco 2. They never issues a recall, they just quit making them. Actually I think Firestone was blamed for the Ford Bronco 2 rollovers. Ford then started making the Explorer with a wider wheelbase than the Bronco 2.

Actually Firestone was blamed for the Explorer issues. Though Ford knowingly required lower than recommended tire pressure in the vehicles which lead to increased heat which caused the treat separation issue. If properly inflated there was not a tread separation issue, but the Explorer rolled over super easy.

Reminds me of when they banned three wheeleres! It's not the machine thats hurting or killing people, it's the idiots driving them. I'm sure just like in the case of the 3 wheelers, alot of irresponsible parents put their children in the Rhino's and say "have fun"!

I totally agree.....just idiots driving stupid to YOUNG, arent seat belted in! just kills it for everyone else!

Thats a good Video!! haha

Tyler does have a point. In 2007, the average age of ATV riders involved in serious accidents with injury or death was 50 years old.

There are some factors involved with this swing in age.

1) IMO, the MNDNR safety training is making a difference with the younger crowd.

2) As some, not all, grow older they become more complacent or naive with safety, their experience and their "self-perceived" abilities.

i realize theres alot of people my age(17) that do dumb things and then get companys in trouble for there own bad judgement. i try to keep myself out of that perticular group. but the key word there is TRY right?

i realize theres alot of people my age(17) that do dumb things and then get companys in trouble for there own bad judgement. i try to keep myself out of that perticular group. but the key word there is TRY right?

That's about all a guy can do these days wink

Tyler does have a point. In 2007, the average age of ATV riders involved in serious accidents with injury or death was 50 years old.

There are some factors involved with this swing in age.

1) IMO, the MNDNR safety training is making a difference with the younger crowd.

2) As some, not all, grow older they become more complacent or naive with safety, their experience and their "self-perceived" abilities.

And, I think a safe bet would be to add alcohol to the list.

wasn't necessarily the younger crowd that was intoxicated. Just remember Tyler, you're actually part of the "safer" age group.

im kinda surprized by that. i guess you only here about the younger crowd drinking vs. someone older and legal even if they drink to much.