• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Front mount String stoppers

jnorm1984

Has anyone ever installed one of these on your bow? And do string stoppers in general really make a difference? Im looking to buy one made by STS, but dont really want to spend $50, but if it realy cuts down on hand shock and what not I think I will probably go for it--Ive been shooting new bows, and really cant spend that kinda money (Says the fiance) so I want to do what I can to mine to make it better..

I don't have one, but it is my understanding that mostly it stops string vibration after the shot to make your bow quieter. I think most new bows are so quiet as is that you may not notice much difference for the price tag.

My BowTech and Diamond each have them from the factory I don't know about hand shock with them but it will take the twang out of the bow string wich reduces the noise, it also ensures the arrow leaves the string at the same spot for each shot.

I shoot a PSE Xforce6. Most would say that the bow is louder than most and has a noticeable vibe or buzz after the shot. Its not huge, but its there. It is a speed bow, but it is designed as a "bare" bow. It has no factory silencing items on it so comparing other factory bows is difficult.

After lots of reading and trying a couple other Xforce bows with silencing items I knew I wanted one. I added a sight, rest and stablizer and although the stab. helped with the shot it didn't quiet it down much. Once I added the String Tamer to my bow, it was night and day. I recommend the String Tamer from Duravanes.

My bow has no string silencers, limb silencers or anything and it is as quiet and shock free as any other factory bow with those items on it.

edit: It does come with a factory rubber star thingy behind the cable slide.....full disclosure

I don't have one, but it is my understanding that mostly it stops string vibration after the shot to make your bow quieter. I think most new bows are so quiet as is that you may not notice much difference for the price tag.

That's what I thought, until I tried one. I put it on a bow that is considered VERY quiet and vibration free. It still made a big difference. Unless something changes, I'll have one on every bow I shoot for quite a while. They are worth their weight in gold, IMO. The brand doesn't matter much- STS, String Tamer, others- I've tried four or five of them and they all seem to do roughly the same job.

Go with the string tamer. It's worth every penny. It will allow to to take the string silencers off and give you some more speed. Especially if you have a good quality string and cable. I replaced the factory string on my 07 Bear Truth with a quality custom string and I cant even explain the difference it made with noise, speed and stretch. Didn't need any accessories on the string to help silence. Just the tamer.

I have an STS and I like the feel, buzz reduction and the way the bow seems to be quieter.

However, at an archery shop the other day we watched some super slow motion video of a bow shot with an string supressor.

The string still moves a fair amount between the supressor and the top wheel or cam of the bow and the guy at the shop thought that this might affect up / down nock travel.

I'm not taking my STS off though.............

You can make a rear mount STS for cheap if you have a bow with a rear facing hole, a hack saw, an old cable guard, and a piece of rubber to fit over the cut to spec old cable guard.

Im looking online at front mount and side mount sts for my hoyt. My ? is.1st Does the side mount sts mount in the hole already on my bow or do I need to make a new hole. 2nd Would it be a better option to get the front mount so I can use it on my next bow if its not a hoyt. The side mount sure looks better. Thanks any info.

I installed a string tamer on my bow last fall. makes a huge difference. using one of these means you dont have to use string leeches or skirts. like archerysniper said, it defenitely makes your groupings much better, as the arrow releases from the string at the exact same time every time! They should mount on the rear of the riser where the stabilizer mounts.