• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Alaskan brown bear hunt- archery

I'd like to do an Alaskan brown bear hunt with my bow. My preference would be to do unguided, but I've heard that's either not allowed, or very limited. I know nothing about this right now- this is my first attempt to dig up some info, so any info is appreciated. Most importantly, how much will this cost? Obviously, if I can do DIY, it'll be cheaper. If I can't do DIY, the cost will be much more, but I still have no idea how much. When are seasons for this? What areas of Alaska might I look into? Any info would be great!

Thanks,

Scoot,

As long as I have know Alaskan regs, no Non-Resident can hunt Brown Bear without a guide, with the exception of being accompanied by a relative who is a Resident.

I don't think that extended to friends but I could be wrong.

Last I read the only big game critters a Non-Resident can hunt without a guide are elk, caribou, black bear, and black tail deer. Moose used to be O.K. but that may have changed as well.

As Wanderer said, a guide is needed for Brown/Grizzly bear and dall sheep, not 100 % on the moose, but that doesn't matter for your case. I would definitely look at the Alaskan peninsula for brown bears as it is home to the largest bears in the world, and has a very high population rate.

I would recommend hunting adventure dot com (with spaces removed)as a first class outfitter. They have some great guide exclusive areas they hunt right on the coast of the Alaskan Penninsula. I worked there a couple of years ago and am going back this spring to do some fishing and help around the lodge. Also another thing to remember if hunting on the penninsula, the brown bear season alternates between spring and fall every year. Like this year the season is in the fall, and the next year it is in the spring and so forth.

Also refer to my other post in duckhunters topic for more info.

[Note from admin: Please read forum policy before posting again. Thank you.]

This is the web site to the outfitter my dad and a friend used last year. They both shot great brown bears, one squared about 9 foot and the other squared about 10 foot. They were hunting in the southwest part of the state by Bethel. They booked their trip 2or 3 years in advance, and I am sure they each paid a pretty penny. I can send you the pics of my dads bear if you want.

Consider hunting the russian bears, genetically I think they're identical but the guided hunts are cheaper, I've heard. I would use a hunt consultant for a trip like this because you are going to spend a lot of money. Do it right the first time. And definitely get it on video.

Thanks for the info, fellas. It appears that I don't need to pursue this any further- it's outta my league. No chance in heck that I'll be doing this, unless I win the lottery (and I don't play it).

DaveT, from what I've hear bowhunts aren't allowed in Russia. Apparently some of the former Soviet Republic does, but those tend to be more expensive. ... at least that's what I've been told recently. Regardless, even if it's half the price of what we're talking about in Alaska, I can't swing it anytime soon (and by anytime soon, I mean in this lifetime).

You could just move there for a year. winkgrin

Does it flood there? I'm suddenly looking to move somewhere that doesn't flood!

No chance of convincing my wife to move there though...

grin

Stay coastal. The winters are actually milder than where you live now.

'Spose you might have to think about a potential earthquake, but you'll probably only see flooding from a Bull tide swamping your waders.

Yeah, before we got married my wife said she would have tried living there with me. Now? No dice. Imagine that. smirk

I lived up in Seward when my wife and I started dating (knew her earlier) and after I made the move back to MN she told me that she was thinking of moving up there. I would have been better off not knowing that. There are more pheasants here though.

I lived up in Seward when my wife and I started dating (knew her earlier) and after I made the move back to MN she told me that she was thinking of moving up there. I would have been better off not knowing that. There are more pheasants here though.

Ha ha that is very true.