• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Homemade coating for walleye

This winter, finally, I had the opportunity to cook quite a bit of fish in my fish shack. Of course 90% of the time unprepared. I mixed up lot of different concoctions from what I hadn't finished munching on. One of the best crumb mixtures I had was a 50/50 mix of Ritz and Harvest Cheddar Sun Chips. I crushed them up real fine, put them in a big zip-lock and crushed them with a hammer he-he, I would suggest a rolling pin might work better at home. Season that with a good amount of lemon pepper.

Soak in milk/egg, roll in the mix, fry in Crisco. Fabulous! Toast up some english muffin toasting bread, throw on a slice of cheese with some tarter sauce and you got yourself a killer fish sandwich!

Anyway, I think I tried several different chip and crumb combinations this winter and they all were good and worked fine. I think the important thing is to get it crushed up fine. It browns up much better and evenly.

Experiment and varietize with what you already know and usually you can't go wrong.

How about coating them in lemon-pepper and sauteing them in a little butter. Fish doesn't have to be breaded to be good.

I aggree. I have been using a garlic/dill sprinkle and sauteing them in olive oil in the pan or on the grill. Less mess. Still love them breaded and fried every once in a while though.

Keep coming back to dry mix of 2/3 cornmeal, 1/3 flour.

Dip in milk with 1 egg added, dip in cornmeal mix, and fry in butter/olive oil. Cornmeal adds nutty flavor, not too heavy like some batters. My favorite!