• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Stick a fork in Sheffield

IFallsRon

Dude could rake but I always thought he was a clown. Maybe he'll sign with the Raiders.

LAKELAND, Fla. -- Gary Sheffield's milestone 500th career home run will have to come with a different team. The Tigers released the longtime slugger on Tuesday, a surprising roster move and a potential end to what may ultimately be a Hall of Fame career.

Sheffield said he was told by manager Jim Leyland and president/general manager Dave Dombrowski that the team wanted to go with a more versatile lineup. The Tigers did not envision Sheffield playing any position other than designated hitter.

The Tigers will owe Sheffield his guaranteed $14 million salary for this year. If he clears waivers, he'll be free to sign with any team he chooses.

Sheffield, who has 499 career home runs and is on the verge of becoming just the 25th player in history to record 500, said that he was surprised by the move and that he didn't consider it a possibility.

"I never really thought about it, to be honest with you," Sheffield said.

Sheffield spent the last two seasons with the Tigers, batting a combined .247 with 44 home runs and 132 RBIs in 247 games, primarily as a designated hitter. He played in just 114 games last season, missing time because of a sore right shoulder and a strained oblique.

The 40-year-old is a career .292 hitter over 21 seasons with seven teams -- the Brewers, Padres, Marlins, Dodgers, Braves, Yankees and Tigers. For his career, he has 2,615 hits, 1,633 RBIs and 1,592 runs scored in 2,476 games.

twins, soory. I dont think we would spend the money for a guy that is getting to the point in his career that he is washed up

I think you have already forgotten the last few years with the Twins bringing in washed up players. Either way, I think Detroit is on the hook for his salary this season.

another twinkie killer. hopefully he signs in the NL or retirement grabs him. takes alot of energy to whirl that bat around like he does at his age. i wonder what his pregame rituals are. maybe thats why he is a headcase? wink

Sheff quotes:

September '92 on his days in Milwaukee: "The Brewers brought out the hate in me. I was a crazy man. . . . I hated everything about the place. If the official scorer gave me an error I didn't think was an error, I'd say, 'OK, here's a real error,' and I'd throw the next ball into the stands on purpose.' "

Sheff, a born-again Christian, on teammate Shawn Green missing a game with the Dodgers because of Yom Kippur during a crucial pennant stretch: "Religion is an important thing as long as you worship the right God."

July '05 after punching a fan in the right-field stands at Fenway: "What did I do to be a villain?" Sheffield listened patiently as someone recounted the reasoning. "Well, I mean you can't look at it that way. I didn't initiate it. It's a situation where I showed restraint, and I moved on from there."

In June 2005 On whether he would participate in next year's World Baseball Classic: "My season is when I get paid. I'm not doing that...I'm not sacrificing my body or taking a chance on an injury for something that's made up. This isn't the Olympics. That's a big difference. This is something you made up."

On the '04 Red Sox: "They're a walking disaster. They act like they're tough, how they care so much about winning, but it's all a front. They're just a bunch of characters."

In response to the Hartford Courant asking him in 2004 about whether winning an MVP award would mean anything to him: "No."

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2935737

I have always liked Gary Sheffield. I would love to see him in a Twins jersey waving that bat around.

Me too.

And it would only cost us $400,000 as Detroit is on the hook for the 14 million he's scheduled to make this year.

Wishful thinking I'm afraid, but yeah that bat could do some serious damage in the Metrodome!