• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

bemidji st going WCHA?

cbrooks

There was a article in GF Herald sports section titled "Bemidji State is sole WCHA applicant". I can't imagine that Bemidji St would be in jeopardy of losing its hockey program all because they couldn't find a conference to play in. I've had this argrument with some of my friends about whether or not to let BSU in the WCHA. One of the cons is that some rivalries only play each other once a year instead of twice. In the article the WCHA commissioner says that having a odd number of teams in the conference is problematic with scheduling. I think that having BSU would be a huge benefit to the league. There program is strong enough to compete and the city is now building a facility for BSU hockey. What thoughts does anybody have on this?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, all of those scenarios are possible. BSU needs a new conference, but the WCHA wants to bring in 2 teams, not 1. If BSU can't find a conference, the program could disband. The WCHA commissioner last week said that they were the only team to apply so far, but that another school expressed interest last year. The commissioner said that it is possible the WCHA might go back to that school and convince them to apply as well, helping BSU. For now, it is all speculation. Everyone will have to wait untill the end of April to find out for sure.

Who knows with certainty which schools have/haven't really applied. They all deny (i.e. Niagara and Robert Morris via AHA) about conference affiliation until it's confirmed. Who knows which #12 team steps up. An 11 team schedule can work, it just isn't a neat as a 12 team schedule.

BSU has followed every parameter the WCHA has given them towards getting accepted, including the BREC. The conference committee is in town on Friday for a site visit, etc. Hopefully the FF helps pave the way as well.

I don't really buy into the fact that a 11 team coference isn't as neat as ten. The big ten conference has 11 teams in there conference and never heard of them having a issue with it. Its a lame excuse.

I think back in the early 90s the WCHA had northern michigan in there conference and I can't remember why they left, were they restructuring the conferences to make them neater. Maybe thats the answer they put Mich tech with the other michigan schools.Then you got room for another team. They should find a way to make it work.

Scheduling is an lame excuse. Eliminate a non-conference and you can keep the home-and-home intact.

The WCHA would shoot itself in the foot if it let another program die just because it didn't have a league. When the WCHA let the Bemidji women in its league, it opened the door for the men to follow even though the women's team belongs in DIII.

Two of the four teams in CHA have announced their move to Atlantic Conference in 2010. That leaves BSU and Alabama Huntsville. Seems like Bemidji State has made their case pretty air tight for joining. I would still like to see an even numbered WCHA.

Three options that could work:

1) BSU has applied to WCHA and UAH has applied to CCHA. Odd numbered teams in WCHA and CCHA.

2) Add BSU and transfer a team to CCHA, Mich Tech perhaps? Add UAH to CCHA

3) Add BSU and pick up one more, Air Force, Omaha, Alaska Fairbanks, etc. Replace team that left with UAH.

it is getting to the point we could drop CC and DU and anchorage pick up BSU and UAH let the far west teams form a conference with Air Force and other more western teams and cut down traveling so far, just an idea. But who would then be the WCHA

With all these schools dropping there hockey programs nowadays because they can't afford it and now you got a school that has the support from there school to there town and from what i've read the rest of the WCHA teams and there saying that isn't isn't enough. The only issue is scheduling, are you kidding me!

Even some of the scenarios that some of the people on this site have figured out a way to make it work. College hockey should be looking at ways of expanding not contracting. This is about the future of college hockey not just one program.

From the St. Cloud Times:

There were a lot of papers on Bruce McLeod's desk on Tuesday afternoon at the WCHA office in Denver. Among them, however, was only one application by a school to be considered for expansion at the league meetings in late April in Naples, Fla. That belonged to Bemidji State.

The only surprise is that BSU won't come to the WCHA with another dance partner. No Nebraska-Omaha. No Northern Michigan.

The league will conduct an executive conference call on Wednesday to "talk about where we go from here," McLeod said. He's also making a site visit on Friday to Bemidji, something that was scheduled well in advance of the Beavers' seemingly miraculous victories in the NCAA Midwest Regional last weekend against Notre Dame and Cornell. His visit coincides with the groundbreaking of a Bemidji's new arena, with which the school recently agreed to a long-term arrangement to be the primary tenant.

While BSU is celebrating a trip to the Frozen Four, and will play on college hockey's biggest stage against Miami (Ohio) on April 9, the future of the school's hockey program remains tenuous. The Beavers' four-member conference, College Hockey America, is disbanding after this season. Two schools, Niagara and Robert Morris, have sought entry to the Atlantic Hockey Association. That leaves Bemidji State and Alabama-Huntsville trying to find a home, facing a future as an independent, or potentially eliminating their programs.

Regarding BSU's application, a possible vote of the existing 10 WCHA institutions could take place on April 27. Eight of 10 faculty athletic representatives, acting for their school presidents, would have to vote to approve the admission of Bemidji State. If three schools vote no, expansion would be denied. McLeod said Tuesday that it's not certain a vote would even be taken, however. In other words, if it doesn't look like Bemidji State has the support to get in, they might not ask for a vote in order to keep the door open for the future.

"I don't know if the building is tied to their entry into the WCHA or not -- I hope to find out this weekend," McLeod said. "We're sensitive to their situation and we want to try to help. But I also work for the WCHA, and our (members) have to decide to vote with either their heart or head. Everyone understands the tradition with the program at Bemidji. I'm happy for the institution with what they accomplished (last weekend). And, since I was involved in the early stages of the CHA, I feel like I have a personal investment there. It's a bittersweet thing for them to accomplish what no other school outside of the so-called 'Big Four' conferences has -- getting to the Frozen Four -- and yet know that their league is going away."

While the Beavers' victories over the Irish and Big Red didn't hurt, McLeod stopped short of saying they'll influence the possibility of expansion.

"It doesn't change the debate of the pros and cons," McLeod said. "It's just a public perception."

Central to the problem of receiving one application is managing an 11-team league. McLeod said he has contacted hockey officials from the NHL on down to find a model for an 11-team conference, and one which requires at least two-game weekend series. (McLeod said the possibility of a three-game weekend series, previously tried by the CCHA, is not on the table.)

"No one has come forward with an answer," McLeod said. "People say 'Bruce, you'll work it out.' Well, I haven't. I can schedule 11 teams for 28 games (matching the existing number of league matches), but there's no balance to it. There's no fairness. And there's no rotation so it would even be balanced over time."

He said there's already enough discussion about the WCHA's unbalanced schedule that evens out over a four-year rotation.

"The legitimacy of your stats and your championships come into question if you water it down more," he said. "But more than the imbalance, (the members) are going to have to deal with the fact that the attractive opponents will be in your building less. That could be a financial step backward."

And, since the Cinderella Beavers are the only ones evidently stepping to the music, it remains to be seen if there will be much of a dance beyond the big ball of the Frozen Four.

McLeod will be there, without one of his teams for the first time since 1999, when the Frozen Four was in Anaheim. The league has been a no-show at the event only two other times, in 1998 at Boston and 1993 in Milwaukee.

"I know the feeling isn't so good," he said. "I've been there before. But the sun came up Sunday (after Minnesota-Duluth lost to Miami) and we'll just look ahead."

Not the greatest news, I was hoping they would get in along with whoever. This is probably a long shot and maybe not even possible but I wonder is some MIAC schoole like St. Thomas, Hamline, St. Johns might ever consider jumping up to D1 for hockey.

Interesting idea.

St Thomas would be the Team from a success stand point if any. They are perennial contenders in the MIAC and D3 Tournament.

Problem is none of the MIAC teams have an Arena that would even remotely suffice.

I just think the cost of a New Arena and the funding needed to run a D1 program are going to be a tough sell for the MIAC Schools.

But you never know.

It's pretty unlikely that a DIII would be allowed to move up because of restrictions on funding, scholarships and Title 9. DIII doesn't have athletic scholarships.

It's not unprecidented, though. Many eastern schools are DIII in other sports. And in the WCHA, Colorado College is DIII (they just clipped football) and Duluth is DII in other sports.

i didn't think there was d2 hockey... not in the ncaa at least.

The NCAA dropped D2 Hockey in 2000 I due to a lack of Team participation.

Bemidji State played in both the D2 and D3 NCAA Tourneys sometimes in the the same year.

It would be sad if the WCHA doesn't let them in. Just boot Michigan Tech, they shouldn't even be in D1 hockey. They would at least compete in D2 hockey.

I think . . . eventually . . . BSU will find a quality conference. Hopefully WCHA schools will see beyond a possible short-term scheduling hurdle and vote them in this year for 2010. The WCHA may choose not to vote and will wait to see what happens with Bowling Green and Western MI too. There's a lot of balls in the air right now with the WCHA, CCHA, etc, and it's frustrating for the fans, let alone BSU. BSU has followed WCHA's guidelines to a T, so hopefully it will pay dividends in the next year or too.

It's pretty unlikely that a DIII would be allowed to move up because of restrictions on funding, scholarships and Title 9. DIII doesn't have athletic scholarships.

It's not unprecidented, though. Many eastern schools are DIII in other sports. And in the WCHA, Colorado College is DIII (they just clipped football) and Duluth is DII in other sports.

I agree this would be a major road block, I belive CC and a couple of eastern schools were grandfathered in otherwise they would have been forced to play down in DIII a few years back.

I actually think another D1 hockey school in the cities could find a niche, there are a lot of Gopher haters and alums that might jump on board. Probably not enough to pack an area like Mariucci every weekend but I could see a smaller rink in the 3500-5000 range. Either way its not happening any time soon, just a long shot idea I was throwing out there. For now I'm hoping somebody steps up and tries to get in with Bemidji.

Quote:
Probably not enough to pack an area like Mariucci every weekend but I could see a smaller rink in the 3500-5000 range.

Bemidji is somewhat a Hockey town, when the big time WCHA teams come up, the rink will be filling....best is to win games and fans will go and watch. We'll see what happens!

Bemidji is a hockey town. We are getting the fever and nobody can stop it now. Can you imagine the difference between seeing the badgers, gophers, sioux, and tigers vs. robert morris, huntsville, and niagra? This is the cusp of great hockey and the people of Bemidji, who have limited hockey knowledge, are getting ready for a big time education. Now it is a wait and see.