• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

boat speed

minnleu

Wondering how fast a 14ft alumcraft being pushed by a 6hp should go? This is just a Grumpy Old Men set up and older but plows very slow, would guess 5-7 mph empty except a 250lb driver and few gallons gas. 6h Seahorse seems to be fine but the prop's not razor sharp. I have adjusted motor angle w/o luck and tried to balance weight forward.

Thanks

Tony

My guess was going to be 8 mph. The problem is there's just not much snort in that 6 hp Seahorse so you're probably not even getting on plane. I'm no expert with boats that size but I doubt if there's any adjustments you could make (short of increasing HP) that would make much of a difference.

I used a bare bones mid-70s Lund 14' with a 6hp Yammie last summer. I weigh about 240. I could get it to plane by using an extension on the tiller handle and sitting in the middle seat. Topped out about 10 MPH. Sitting in the back, it was a little slower.

There is not a lot you can really do with a 6 horse. You could probably look around and try to find a 15 that someone is selling and get yourself there quicker. I have a deep and wide 14' Lund with a 15 horse Mariner on there. That motor rips it up on my boat when I am alone. I have hit 32 on the GPS with me and my gear in there.

Check out some of the local thrift sites on the web and you could probably find a bigger motor for about 750 or so. Check the plate on the transom to see what the maximum horse power is before you go searching just to save yourself any drama.

Thanks for the help guys. Boats rated for a 30hp, think I would be lookin straight up (like that video of the trick boat) with that much :0. Maybe check on a 15 or so. Was my grandfathers then dads, they were not in so much hurry to get to the other side of the lake as I am.

Thanks again.

Tony