• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Beer of the Summer.....

Ok, I will be the first to admit, in the winter I am a Beer Snob. Bottles, taps, and the darkest beers possible. If I can see threw it, it is not dark enough. In the summer that changes, time for can beer, kegs, and the "beer of the summer." Golden draft light, Coors light, there have been quite a few in the past.

Personaly I am a Moose Head guy. It is by far my "can beer" of choice. However, I have recently been "given more time to hunt, fish, and persue other interests." In other words been cut from Full time to Part time (at least I still have a job)and I am feeling the pinch. So now I am on a quest to find something cheap, paletable, and not something that will tear up the innards.

So after a few attempts eeksickeek I have found one I like. Nothern Lager, it is only available at a few stores, but I can get it localy, so I am happy.

So lets hear what you got. What is your "beer of the summer". Cheap and good. I will start.

If I have $$$$ Moose Head in the can $9.99 per 12. = .83 per can.

If I am Broke... Northern Lager can price $11.00 per 24 = .46 per can.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I drink one beer and one beer alone. Natty light!!!! I drink it during the summer and during the winter.As well as spring and fall.. Strait out the can.No cooling needed. I like it warm and that keeps everyone else from drinking all my beer. grin

$14.16 a case. .59 cents a can.... And worth every penny. I know I'm gonna get some flack over this one but thats alright.

Neighbor, I'm much like you. I'm a total beer snob. (Make sure you grab a six pack of Bell's Hopslam while it is on the shelves). However, when I'm low on funds or have to share with friends, I go cheap. I'll agree with the above poster that Natty Light is a good cheap beer. Lots of that in college and I tell myself that I'm really drinking Bud Light in another can. Here are my other suggestions.

Busch Light - Case for $14.00. Not the greatest beer in the world, but it drinks easy. Another college favorite. We bought some on fishing opener a few years ago and everyone talked about not having it in many years. By Sunday, everyone agreed they kind of like it.

Keystone Light - Six 16oz cans for $4.89. A Coors product that is a step above the really cheap stuff.

Miller Highlife - You can always find this on sale for about $14 per case.

Pabst/Pabst Light - See Miller Highlife - I can always find it on sale.

Mountain Crest - When things get really tough on the pocket book, this beer is a lifesaver. Case for $8.96.

Some people go for the Ice style beers for the higher alcohol content. However, I find that it usually goes down the hatch like fish hooks.

I'm a Summer Shandy guy. There's probably cheaper options but it's really refreshing when it's 90 deg. and the normal beer is just drying your mouth out. And I am man enough to admit that I do "Fruit the Beer" from time to time. A little lemon in certain beers takes it to a whole other level. Summer Shandy should hit the shelves in April for the summer!

Neighbor_Guy, I bet I'm the only other guy on FM that knows where your sign-off quote came from-- gotta love MST 3K!

When the wallets full its Blue Moon Belguim ale or Summer Shandy which is already available at Sarracks. But since I'm unemployed when I do buy it's PBR saves a couple bucks.

Does anybody remember Minnesota Brew? Back in the day when we shouldn't have been drinking we could scrape up our carwash tips and get a case at Morelli's for 7.00 oh them were the days. No Wife, No Kids and No Mortgage and $4.25 an hour was plenty.

If my wife would taste it when she drank, ,I would buy better stuff.

Natty light and Busch light for us.

Keystone is pretty darned good also, especially when its on sale for the 16 ouncers.

Dad always said, "There really is no bad beer, some just tastes better than others."

all right guys I enjoy my top notch beer like guiness, smithwicks, moos drool, I love just about any bock but in the summer on a nice hot day nothing taste better than an ice cold grainbelt premium and if im feeling fancy give me about 4 olives

I don't ever let cost get in the way of the beer I want to drink, that is for sure. I drink local 100% of the time so it depends what Schell's, Summit, or Surly have on the market at the time. Lakemaids will be hitting the stores soon, if not already and the summer wheat beers will soon be upon us!

The Lakemaid's are on the shelf now for the opener and rest of summer. Brewed at Schells who teamed up with Rapala. IF you dont catch ANY fish on the boat and you have Lakemaids with you can at least bet your buddy on the biggest fist under the bottle cap, or just catch the old buzz.

Honeyweiss is always my standby in the summer, however Blue Moon and Fat Tire are excellent as well if I don't mind spending a little $$$. I love Shells Carmel Bock as well.

For less expensive beer, we always take some Premo on our fishing trips, that always goes down easy, but isn't watery either. A cold silver bullet is pretty good for a light beer. I think Glueck's makes a Honey bock that is pretty decent.