• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Question for you Bowfishing guys

KTapper

Looking to get into the sport I have looked around and one of my choices are the AMS Bowfishng Fish Hawk it is a kit that comes ready to shoot. My question is this something that is quality and something that I could get the job done with?

Here is some info on it.

AMS Fish Hawk

that bow will work but I think you will want to upgrade after a while. A bow with a little higher draw weight would be better and let you shoot in all types of conditions. That kit comes with a roller rest and it is very easy for the arrow to fall off the rest with a little finger pinch when you draw back. I have seen them sell the AMS Wave Rest in those kits instead. Before you commit to buying anything check out these bowfishing suppliers first. You can buy a bow for cheap on [YouNeedAuthorization] and buy the other equipment seperatly and spend less then the price of that kit.

Backwater Bowfishing

Bowfishing Extreme

I know quite a few bowfisherman in the mankato area who would be happy to take a beginer out fishing. Also there is the bowbender tourney in the middle of may there. This tourney runs into the buff spawn and is great shooting.

I do some shooting on german and jeff. Let me know if you want to tag along sometime.

Sure thing! German is my main fishing lake!

I also would like a bow I could use for just regular target practice, and maybe deer hunting.

I am trading a case of Busch Light for a used bow that I would like to use for picking off some carp this spring. I need to get the arrows and reel. I seen some different set ups at Fleet Farm that range from 15 - 80. is there a difference? Are there some that are safer than others?

Any recommendations would be helpful.

Hey carpshooter is there a bow that you would suggest? I would like to spend $450 max.

Oneida bows are the prefered bow for most bowfisherman that i know. I have three older oneidas in my boat that i bought off [YouNeedAuthorization] for around $120 each. Someday I am going to fork out the money and buy a Oneida Osprey. These are very, very nice bows for bowfishing but they are spendy.

I am trading a case of Busch Light for a used bow that I would like to use for picking off some carp this spring. I need to get the arrows and reel. I seen some different set ups at Fleet Farm that range from 15 - 80. is there a difference? Are there some that are safer than others?

Any recommendations would be helpful.

This is what i would buy if I was in your shoes.

- AMS Retreiver Reel

- Muzzy Fish Hook Rest

- 2 Fiberglass Arrows with Muzzy Quick Release Points

- Some extra nocks

- A package of AMS Safty Slides.

I think I'll end up buying the same stuff. I have a couple of old compunds I was scheming on using an old recurve but I guess an old compound would be ok. I've been spearing suckers since I was just a kid, now that i'm old and don't like tromping through the water like I did when I was younger, I can stand on the bank and get a few for the smoker and get some archery in.

carpshooter would like to get into bowfishing with my sons & love to know where to get a lo cost effective starter kit, but not too low i need to upgrade right away. thanks

I would recomend the AMS Fish Hawk Bow. This bow has a 30-40# draw weight and 15"-30" draw length. I dont know how old your kids are but they would be able to grow with this bow, adults can shoot this bow. In a catalog Im looking at right now, its priced at $238. This bow has been out for a couple years and I never heard of problems with this bow also AMS is very good a standing behind there products.

Reminder, there is a bowfishing day at the Rogers Cabelas on the 18th of april.

You can use whatever bow you want. Just like anything you can buy as nice of equipment as you want for how serious you are about it. I bought an old Reflex hunting bow and just stripped it down.

Couple things to consider:

1. Drop your draw weight down to where CS said. Otherwise if you are in shallow water you will be spending your time trying to pull your arrow out of the bottom. And you will get pass thrus on the fish where you will have to try to thread the arrow back through the fish at odd angles.

2. As Morn said, you don't need sites. You'll get the feel for it after you've shot a few times. Remember to aim below the fish.

3. ALWAYS check the line after you have knocked the arrow to make sure it isn't wrapped around something that will make it swing back at you when your release the arrow. Also check again periodically while you standing around with the arrow knocked. The slide on the arrow, the wind, and you moving around will make the line move around also.

3. ALWAYS check the line after you have knocked the arrow to make sure it isn't wrapped around something that will make it swing back at you when your release the arrow. Also check again periodically while you standing around with the arrow knocked. The slide on the arrow, the wind, and you moving around will make the line move around also.

You cannot stress this point enough!!!!!!

Questions for Slayer21.....

Where on the arrow do you tie directly to? That sounds like it could be very dangerous??? I have never had a safety slide break on me yet... Don't the slides work on the aluminum bowfishing arrows? Why do you prefer the aluminum arrows?

the slides dont but the slide stopper does. i think the aluminum arrows shoot straighter just my opinion. i take the slide stop out and then tie right through that hole..i havent had any dangerous encounters yet