• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Spring Bullhead Tactics

JimBuck

Well, as I drove to work today I noticed some of my bullie spots are beginning to open up. I had a tough time last year pinpointing the ideal locations and scenarios that hold bullheads. I've tried some smaller lakes as well as some ponds and had a hard time developing a pattern for locating bullheads. I was wondering what people look for in a good bullhead spot? My best locations were in smaller lakes that are fed by creeks. On these lakes I typically hit the shallow, sandy areas near shore where the water seems to warm up quicker. I do enjoy giving Moore's Bait the business when I can, but being from the Southwest metro...it can be a bit of a drive if I plan on fishing the Minnesota. Thanks guys.

This may sound crazy but I've found that the bullheads take a little time to find the bait and then they seem to pass the word on to the rest of the bullies. Almost every time it takes about 15 minutes or so to get the bullies to turn on. It seems that all I need is a little patience and they will just start biting. I don't know if the nightcrawler bait leaves a scent in the water that attracts them or if once they find it the rest are attracted by the activity but something triggers them. Once you catch one just keep going back to the same spot as closely as you can. On most of my spots I can catch about 25 or more in an hour or so.

The pond I go to has shallow water near shore with a lot of timber in the water. When it looked like the water was coming starting to boil (a lot of surface bubbles or ripples) then I knew I was in for steady action. I have not tried for them yet this year.