• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fire Ball Jigs

mrklean

These are all we use on Winnibigosh and up in Canada... They are the best jigs you can buy. Like Mr. S said, the short shanked ones are great for live bait. We use the long shanked ones when we are using shiners. Then you can double hook the minnow to conserve bait. I would suggest buying them in bulk on sale. I always pick up a few when I am at a sporting goods store. I must have a thousand by now.

One of the nicest things about them, both the roundhead and standup version, is the ability to add a stinger hook to them when the situation arises. A very good jig selection for early and late season for 'eyes. You won't be disappointed, but, as was stated earlier, try to find them in bulk or discounted, because they can become spendy.

All I use is the Fire Ball jigs. I just bought about 500 of them in bulk from Sportsmans warehouse, all different colors of course. The long shanks do work the best IMO, for shiners I've never found one that I like as much as the fireball jigs, The double hook out the mouth and through the back, gives you alot more hookups on fish. I prefer this method over the short shank and stinger.

mrklean-correct, put hook in the mouth and up through the skull and then attach stinger to back of minnow with as little slack in stinger wire as possible. Another way to combat short strikes is to open the bail, much like lindy rigging and give line, but that's getting off subject a little.

I hook bait a liitle different. I seem to always use the long shank style. I put hook through lower lip, spin hook and go back up through the belly and into the back. I experiment w/ the stringer if I am using them. sometimes I hook it into the top and sometimes into the bottom of trhe back. alot of the times I let it dangle and don't hook it at all into the minnow. I hook minnows on a jig the same. plain hook I sometimes go through bottom lip and up through skull, other times in mouth and up through the skull. Just my 2 cents