• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What do you think about HP?

Bandit

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You aren't worried about gas prices when when you're safely getting back to the ramp when the weather switches suddenly are you? No, you're thanking the horsepower gods for the opportunity to boat again another day. 80-100% rated HP just makes sense from a safety standpoint if nothing else.

well if you had 175 or even a 150 on that crestliner in any

kind of wind over 15mph on a big lake you wouldnt be albe to use it any way if your talking saftey You'd be beating

the s---------- out of people plus that kind of hp would bust that boat in half in a short period of time

as far as having enuff power to control the boat in a wind

i think that goes to the person operatoring the boat

i use to have 17ft fiberglass crestliner with a 60hp evinrude on

it and i had more than enuff power in that and i'm sure that boat was as heavy as that one you have probably heavier and i fished mille lacs darn near every week end back then alot of touraments

so all this hp talk is a bunch of [PoorWordUsage] when it comes to talking saftey

i dont have nothing against horse power and speed if you like going fast go for it

but to say you need all that hp for saftey is riduclous

and my 150 isnt old its a 07 e tec and if i dont wanna spend a pile on gas thats kinda my bussiness

i have 07 2095DCX Yar Craft and with the e tec on it i will stay right along side you in anything your runing on leech or mile lacs and be SAFE in just bout any kind of wind and probably

stay dryer......

yes i understand boat control very well have been fishing

mille lacs for 25 yrs and winnie

and as i said for 25 yrs i had a 60 hp motor that worked very well up until last summer i bought a new boat

my point is to be safe you dont need 250 horses to be safe on the water i know you dont want to underpower a boat

and i'm not saying theres any thing wrong with running big hp

but i'm as safe in my boat with 150 on it as any body with a 250

It has probably been said here, but you can always run at 1/2 or 3/4 throttle on a bigger motor, but good luck trying to get 5/4 or 3/2 throttle out of a smaller motor wink

While I agree that safety is better with more hp, your eyes and judgement are more important than any motor for safety. With that said, I was glad I had 150 ponies up on LOTW one time, holy cow. We didn't go fast, but we needed darn near hlaf throttle of a 150 to get up some of those bigguns (that we ignored as they were getting bigger, doh!)

Also, I don't care how old you are, or how much we all say we just have the boat to fish and don't need speed.... but there is no way that blank-eating-grin gets old when you crack the throttle on a nice calm day smile Paul Coffeys comment is perfect, ha!

Don'T forget that look on your buddies face when the boat starts to chime just before you back off on the throttle grin as you scream give me more power scotty. laugh

Oh ya. that wet spot, more like a puddle, on the drivers seat came from the driver.

HP is OK but some of the arguments here are beyond belief, like "loud pipes save lives". I would be willing to bet more people are killed due to excessive speed than caught in bad weather, so don't use the safety rational for max HP. Just admit, its fun to drive fast and be done with it. I have NOTHING against max HP, just have to smile at the rational.

if you max out your boat it is easyer to sell it latter if and when the time comes and i'm the same way my boats maxed with a 75 hp. but i wish i could hold a 90 hp just to get up and go faster and if your a guy you can't have to much power.

Seems to me, about 25 years ago, a 90hp used to be a BIG motor. Also, I though the standard used to be at 75% max HP is where you wanted to be at or above and not the 80%. Either times have really changed or I just dont know what im talking about.

My grandpa used to take me out in his 16ft lund with a 18 hp and it worked great. For now I have a 115hp on my 18ft fisherman(max rated for 150)and it does everything I want it to do including skiing (I get up no prob and weigh 215) and lake of the woods fishing making long runs @32mph at ~1/2 throt and has no problems busting 4ft+ waves. Unless its clam I dont want to go faster than that anyway. To each their own I guess.

More Power UHHH, UHHH, UHHH

I would always go for the max or close to it...

My 115 pushs my boat at 46 mph and I wish I had more.

As for gas consumption, HA!!!

My Yahama 115 uses far less gas being on the lake for a full day then my explorer does getting the boat to the lake.

My boat is the most efficient engine I own. And far more fun then the lawn mower gringrin

As long as it doesn't take logn to get on plane and goes at least 30 mph it works for me. Mine is a lund fisherman 1700 with 140hp (150 max). Max speed is between 42-44 mph. I love this combo for a fishing + family boat. Before I went any bigger and more horsepower I would add a pontoon to the mix to keep the kids toys out of the boat.

Quote:
My grandpa used to take me out in his 16ft lund with a 18 hp and it worked great.

You're probably right. Boat length is only one small factor in determining motor rating and need.

A 16' four seater fishing boat only needs about 15-20hp. A 16' deep-V with wood floor, console, livewell, storage, etc. will be much heavier and it will take much more power to move it along efficiently.

I have a 14' with a 15 hp and I think it is a little under powered. It would be ideal with a 25hp. the boat has a wood floor and casting decks with 2 batteries...with 2 people and the 15 hp I get around 13-15mph I think.....it has been so long I can't remember!!

I like the comment above about the 14' boat with the 35 HP motor doing 25 to 30 MPH. Gotta respect that effort! I once had a 14' Alumacaft F7 with an 18 HP Evinrude up to 29 MPH with a 14" two blade prop. Pretty much maxed out for top end. That motor met it's untimely end on a submerged stump. Too bad.

Is it just me or does it seem like the pre-packaged boat deals are a little underpowered? I know mine has a 75 max and came with only a 50. I am fine with the 50 and have always felt like I have had enough power, even in some pretty high winds and waves. I now wish I had more power, but only because it would be more fun.