• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Newby to boating

Carpenter

Great point, Welcome to the boating world. Backing up is one of hardest things to learn, for some people. Being new to boating, go to smaller lakes to get of hang of things. Fellow alot of what all have said.

DO NOT unhook boat before it is in the water. I have seen guys do this, many end up with new boat launch on to the ramp, before it's to the water.

The last you want is guys, giving you a ear beating for not knowing what your doing. (PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE)

Don't let your buddies tell what you should be do if they don't have a boat. There are all kinds of bathtubs cowboys.

I would be willing to come help show you a few things. As I'm sure many of us would. There is nothing wrong with going to smaller lake, to learn your boat, and practice loading and unloading. You could do it a for whole day. Each time you unload and load your new boat, you will learn something, to make it faster and easier.

yes it does pay to pratice or get use to taking some s------

from guys at some of the landings when they are busy

some will offer to help be careful on that to some will bellyache

a few yrs back a buddie and i were up on winnie fishing

bite was slow we decide to kinda take a break we went to

the landing on the cutfoot and had a sandwich and we were going to take a nap

but we got watching people putin in and coming out

very entertaining couple of hrs never did get the nap lol

I learned on my own. Had had trailers before in my band days so was used to backing. I still go to a small lake in the spring to get it out the first time of the season and make sure all is working. Not busy, don't have to worry about current and you can usually putz around at the landing and make sure you are squared away.

For a while I had a checklist I laminated on my console. Things like, put the plug in and such on it.

Jiggin' is correct, NEVER unhook your boat before it's in the water. I always take off the safety chain and that's it until it's in and running. Had someone with me last spring that when I was in line to back in decided to lean over and unhook the which strap as well. I didn't notice it. Backed down the ramp and WHAM (not the band either) boat was nose up sitting on the concrete. $3500 later it was fixed.

Nother lesson I learned the hard way, double check whatever those that go out with you did. I train the ones that fish with me regular so they know how anal I am about it. But I still check things quite a bit.

sandmannd

bummer on the nose and the fixxn

i had my old boat for nearly 20 not to brag but i could

unload and load faster than most when there were 2 people

one reason i guess i fished alone alot so learned

when i took people fishin of coarse they want to help but at best i'd let hold the boat by the dock

now my new is a big yar craft on bunks and most of the time i hafta unhook it before i back in specially by myself at first i had the hardest time doing that for the exact reason your talking bout but after trying to crank that on those bunks

even wet i finally have the confidence that it will stay on

but its a whole diffrent deal with that big of boat

rather than a smaller boat on a roller trailers

Congrats on buying a new boat!

I'm fairly new myself, and this is what I can tell ya (which is pretty much what everyone else has said)

1. With the vehicle you chose, make sure it has enough power, and that the vehicle is rated to pull your boat. For example, if your boat is going to weigh 1,900 lbs, and your truck can only pull 2,200 lbs, you might want to rethink the vehicle. Make sure there's some leway there. Your transmission and pocketbook will thank you later.

2. Once you get the boat home, get used to pulling it around - find an empty parking lot and set up a couple of cones - practice backing it up, and that way you can back it into your driveway easier, and at the ramp. This is what I did, and it helped tremendously! Also, feel free to pull your boat around town a little. Get used to stopping with it behind your truck, and that way when you get out on the big bad interstates, you will have more of an idea of how your truck will handle towing the boat. Also, then you can show off your new boat to your neighbors and make them all jealous. (And don't forget the licensing for the trailer and boat!)

3. Do some trial runs, and then make a checklist. Before you get ready to go out to the lake, make a checklist, and then you can make sure all of your gear is ready. If I know I am going to go out for a big trip, I start my checklist a day or so before I am going to go out. That way I can make sure I have my charger on my trolling motor, make sure the boat is all full with gas, and I can get the worms/minnows. It also gives me the excuse to head to Gander/Cabela's and make an additional purchase or two. :-) That way the day of, I don't have to deal with the hectic lines at the bait shop at 0500. (Think the BP out on 169 near Garrison on a Saturday morning - YIKES!)

4. As many others have said here, take your boat out first to some of the smaller lakes and bays. Get used to running your boat, and get used to loading and unloading your boat. Get comfortable with her. You just dropped a metric baitload of cash, and she's your baby. This way, you can also run through some of the break-in period on the motor if you are getting a brand new boat. The break in period is different for each motor, but I know with mine (2008 90HP Merc) after the break in period my plugs were somewhat fouled, and I had to get them replaced. This way you can also make sure everything in the boat is working. You can help to make sure everything is working the day of The Big Dance and then you won't be out on the middle of 5 mile with fouled plugs and a 3 mile paddle to shore.

5. Check your cotter pin when you are putting your boat in. This is the little pin that secures your prop to the motor. Make sure it is in and not rusted. Been there, done that, prop fell off. So if anyone is ever on East Spirit Lake in Ottertail County and finds a prop, let me know. :-)

6. Make sure you get used to your boat, and have fun. Most of the guys here have some really good advice - make sure you take your transom straps off BEFORE you put your boat in the water. Yes, even with the trailer attached, your boat will float. If this happens, take your boat SLOWLY forward until it stops floating. Don't make the mistake I made and try to undo the transom straps while the boat is IN the water. Let's just say that Darwin and I almost had a very close encounter that day. I've learned my lesson, and I hope you will too.

Most of all, if you are at a ramp and having trouble, ask for help. I know I would much rather help someone out who is having trouble than see them try and try again to get their boat in or out of the water. I know for me, I really like checklists - I have a checklist for almost everything that I do when I put my boat in or take it out of the water. It drives my partners crazy, but, it also means that I haven't had any major accidents since I started using it. (It was the transom strap thing that finally caused it for me!) Yes, the list will get longer as the years go by, but it also leaves less room for error, and also means for a safer, and I think more fun boating and fishing experience.

Remember, have fun, and always make your friends who are mooching off your new boat buy you beer and bait.

HTH,

wx_nut

Dont know if your interested but I offer a day long clinic on what you are looking for and then some. Looking back at my dads first boat and all of the damage, misuse, etc etc that took YEARS to learn verses one day--give me a call if your interested. good luck

I like all the tips.....I got a bigger boat last year with a bunk, TILT trailer....I was use to a 14' on a roller trailer.

Can anyone give me the best ways to use the TILT? Went to a lake last fall with a shallow access....NOT fun, probably took an hour to get loaded up (in the dark, so no waiting).

Suggestions, tips...get a new roller trailer?????? ha

I bought my first "Big Boy Boat" last summer, even though I have owned other smaller boats, boats that didn't require trimming the motor and all that. I still took my seasoned friend with me on it's maiden voyage, he actually drove the boat before me that day, he hasn't driven it since, hands off "it's my boat" laugh . He showed me a lot and really cut down the things I would have had to pick up on my own.

Everyone has pumped you full of information pretty good so far. So the only thing I will add is do your best - whatever you have to do to keep your cool at the launch and not feel rushed, feeling rushed opens the doors to bigger problems. As long as you aren't jacking around and being a moron people at the launch are more tolerant then you think.

RU