• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

gulp and gulp alive

DRH1175

I dont think it will replace live bait 100% of the time. I've had excellent luck with it. At times we caught more fish on gulp and other times more on live bait. It sure is nice to have. Keep in the boat all the time, never know when you might want to fish for another kind of fish then you were origanally targeting that day.

Jordyn, it all depends on what type of presentation you are using.

They offer the flying mullet tails which are like a twister tail. Those in my mind are great for active fast retrieving presentations to get that tail to really move.

They also have the pogey tail, which is more lika a small paddle. I use this more for my jigging and bottom dragging presentations. But it works well actually in a swimming, or trolling speed with some wicked movement with that rigid tail.

Add in the 3 and 5 inch leach option, floating or not and boy, you can really tackle a lot of situations and cover many presentations options. Mix in all the color choices, and Gulp becomes a great tool. I use it exclusively on my weeklong trip to Lac Seul in Canada. It also works well for me jigging on the river!

Gulp.... Fish Eat It!

DSCN0090-1.jpg

I was using a Saltwater Gulp Nuclear Chicken here and Notice my hat.... Team Gulp!

Like GRH said, I don't think it will replace live bait 100%. It does have its time and place however. Gulp alive minnows and leeches can be very effective while jigging. I will usually start out jigging with Gulp and make neccessary changes if the fish are not responding.

There have been a few times for me where the gulp alive leeches outfished live ones while rigging, but majority of the time it's hard to beat live bait for lindy rigs.

Jordyn, we normally have the 3 or 4 inch minnow type stock, but the leaches come in 3 and 5 I believe, I have some of both. I put a few of each color and variety in my big tub so I only have to carry one thing with a large mix of options. Just make sure to have some Gulp juice in there other wise they will dry out and get stiff as leather. And don't ever leave one on a jighead or hook on your line, it will be tough to get off.

It really depends on depth, and if there is any current on jig head size, Just enough to get it to the bottom and keep it there. I use many colors and match up options with the gulp.

And just so you know, I have no connections with Gulp, I just love the product. And I agree with many of the statements below, I have never gone without live bait, but I have gone to almost exclusive use of Gulp on my Canada trip. Because we have proven it works year after year. This year, we will likely only get a half gallon of leaches for 6 guys for an entire week.

I like the GULP products and use them a lot too. But I don't think it replaces live bait all the time. If you have lots of fish concentrated or have aggressvie fish the GULP products are great ..... but for a slow tough bait I don't think you're going to beat live bait with it.

Bottom line, I usually have both in the boat when I'm going after walleyes.

Jordyn, we normally have the 3 or 4 inch minnow type stock, but the leaches come in 3 and 5 I believe, I have some of both. I put a few of each color and variety in my big tub so I only have to carry one thing with a large mix of options. Just make sure to have some Gulp juice in there other wise they will dry out and get stiff as leather. And don't ever leave one on a jighead or hook on your line, it will be tough to get off.

It really depends on depth, and if there is any current on jig head size, Just enough to get it to the bottom and keep it there. I use many colors and match up options with the gulp.

And just so you know, I have no connections with Gulp, I just love the product. And I agree with many of the statements below, I have never gone without live bait, but I have gone to almost exclusive use of Gulp on my Canada trip. Because we have proven it works year after year. This year, we will likely only get a half gallon of leaches for 6 guys for an entire week.

what are the best techniques you've used to catch them,

sorry to ask a dumb question but how do they work? what makes them so effective -- what is this tub thing, don;t they just come in pouches?

I NEVER use rubber bait, but i have hear sooooooo much about this lately that i am thinking about putting some in the boat.

Is it really as good as Al Linder says it is? Can it really replace all live bait? It would be nice to never have to keep bait fresh and alive. I have done great on the magot version for panfish.

I have used Gulp and although it worked for me, i had better luck with frozen shiners

sorry to ask a dumb question but how do they work? what makes them so effective -- what is this tub thing, don;t they just come in pouches?

Gulp alive is that stuff in the tubs. The liquid in the tubs helps give it better fish scent that helps fishing. After you use a bait a while you can put it back in the tub to "recharge".

I use them on jigs and like the 4" minnows fish them just like a minnow on a jig. I fished them exclusivly on my Canada trip last year and seemed to catch as many as the other guys with minnows and the fish were bigger. I also use them a lot on pool 2 you may do better on the river with live bait but to much of a hassle for me to get minnows when I want to go to the river (call me lazy).

If you get the tub of alive keep the foil top on and just open enough to get your bait in and out this helps avoid leaks/spills. If you spill the liguid all over the carpet it stinks.

The main advantage of it IMO is it is convient and it does not die.

I like it but some of my fishing partners did not.

I like the GULP products and use them a lot too. But I don't think it replaces live bait all the time. If you have lots of fish concentrated or have aggressvie fish the GULP products are great ..... but for a slow tough bait I don't think you're going to beat live bait with it.

Bottom line, I usually have both in the boat when I'm going after walleyes.

same here!

Jordyn, my main method with them is super slow drift dragging the jig head/gulp combo on the bottom with the occasional light lift!

The pouches and the Gulp Alive are the same product, but the "juice" preserves and keeps the attractant more prevelant! I buy pouches of stuff and throw it in the juice all the time!

For the most part I will use Gulp! over live bait and have good results. But after trial and error over the last few years there are times where I will always have live bait with me from now on. 1) When fishing vertical with minimal to no jig or boat movement because of negative fish I have better results on live minnows. 2)Lindy rigging crawlers or leeches I will use the real thing. I have had success rigging with Gulp! crawlers, but that was in current moving fairly swift getting bit mostly out of reaction. 3) I will have live bait with me when I have other people in my boat. Fishing strictly Gulp! takes confidence and under some conditions a certain degree of skill for it to work and sometimes ends up in limited fish in the boat. Overall Gulp! shines for me and is truly an amazing product. The presentation where Gulp! is huge for me is pulling spinner crawler combos in waters where there are annoying bait pickers like sheephead and little perch. The Gulp! is tough.

I've never had that much luck with it other then Bass. I think Al Linder fishs up in Canada a lot where they will eat just about anything that hits the water!! smile

There are lakes that have sent Al home with his tail between his legs, that Gulp works good on also.