• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

outboard muffs for merc 15

bgreen82

I've used the same muffs for every outboad I've owned. Starting with a 9.9 Mariner up to the Yamaha F150 I have now.

You can get them at Fleet Farm, Gander, Cabelas, West Marine or any boat dealer.

so i bought some muffs w/o looking at motor(at folks house) and now that i checked it the water intake isnt on sides of lower unit. if its what i think it is, it is on the bottom of the fin just above the prop. is that correct? if so, i took the prop off can i use the muffs vertically with the hose end on bottom going up and in? if not it was only 5 bucks.

I'm interested in hearing from those that have used/use the muffs succesfully. I put them on and had a fair amount of water running outside them so I didn't trust to start the motor, because if the water doesn't get sucked up in the engine to cool it, just a few seconds of running it can burn the impeller. Do you just trust that it's going to work and give her heck? Or should the muff create a better seal than what I'm seeing?

mine do the same thing and ive had my motor running 10 min to get all the fuel outa the lines, the water is going to run out the sides cuz where else can it go besides be stopped.. when you first hook it up let it idle untill it pees then you know its working

Yes you can use it that way. Be sure it sucks the water good. You can leave the prop on, but BE SURE not to put it in gear.

If the arms of the muffs are of metal you can squeeze them a little to have better grip to painted surface, and be sure the end with the hose attached is the one that is against motor intake.

I'm interested in hearing from those that have used/use the muffs succesfully. I put them on and had a fair amount of water running outside them so I didn't trust to start the motor, because if the water doesn't get sucked up in the engine to cool it, just a few seconds of running it can burn the impeller. Do you just trust that it's going to work and give her heck? Or should the muff create a better seal than what I'm seeing?

There will be water running out the sides. No worries. Fire it up!

I have a Merc. 9.9 4stroke and muffs will not work as the water intake is on top of the cavitation plate. I have to use a small garbage can to run the motor if it's on the trailer. You may be able to position the muffs (I haven't tried) but I don't know if enough water will be pumped properly to the engine powerhead. Water may spit out of the indicator, but that doesn't always mean water is cooling the engine itself...might have to touch the engine to see if it gets too hot.

Might give 'em a try then. Quick confirmation if you would. For a '95 Merc 150 XRi, the water intake is the "finned" slots (for lack of better description) on either side on the lower unit, and I just need to make sure I cover those with the muffs, right?