• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2004 Ford 6.0 Liter Powerstroke

Guys I am looking at an 04 F350 it has a 6.0 liter. Just wondering if anyone has any information good or bad about them. What are problem areas of these motors? Are they pretty solid running trucks. It has only 24K on it and it seem like it is a really good deal.Just wondering what everyone that has experience with these thinks.

What was the problem with them? I don't just want they were bad. What made them bad. I can give you a list of why not to buy a Duramax with the amount I put into this truck. I know the 7.3 were a good motor.

I will give you a few reasons, or complaints about them.

No low end power, unless the turbo spools up, there is no power. Why this is a problem, example-if you worked in construction and needed to drive over a curb, you drive to the curb, stop, try to accel over the curb from a stop, you need to wait until the turbo kicks in before there is enough power to climb it, and you are spinning the tires.

Poor economy.

If you chip it, you will blow out the headgaskets if you use the power. Also if you pull heavy loads, they have been known to blow out the head gaskets as well.

If you dont use the truck as a daily driver, the turbo's rust and seize.

Injectors are very comon to go bad.

Many problems with the high pressure oil system leaking internally, causing no start conditions.

Egr's plug, espeacially if you let them idle.

They suck to work on, and are expensive to repair.

I can continue, but I dont want to make these trucks look bad wink

We have 2 of the 6.0 ltrs and over 200,000 on both of them. Injectors did go bad on one and the other has been pretty much trouble free. They are shop trucks and driven by shop help so you know they are getting the tar beat out of them. We also have 2 Dodges with the cummins. Never had a problem with them. they are used to pull goose neck trailers with heavy equipment on them. Scratch that one employee hopped it at a stoplight and took out a gear. Both trucks have went through a tail gate from employees forgetting to drop the gate while unhooking. I would have no problem buying another Ford 6.0, but we have all we need right now.

i got a buddy with a 07 powerstroke. are these motors different because this one has all kinds of power(its specail ordered). i wouldnt recommend a 7.3 at all. there worthless, i drove one all summer last year and hate it with a passion. duramax will take it everyday and i was pulling a 20ft enclosed trailer also. the 7.3s are reliable but IMO worthless. id take a duramax over a 7.3 any day.

Well all new diesels are coming with EGR setups and cat converters on the exhaust. Its what they need to meet emissions. Duramax actually had a bigger problem with injectors than the 6.0. We have two work trucks with the 6.0 an 03 and an 06 chips in both an exhaust anf intake on the 03. Never had any head gasket problems (knock on wood) but i have heard they had problems with them. I cant think of why you would'nt like the truck. When a company sells twice as many trucks as the other companies a person is bound to hear the bad.

I would seriously look into a low mile Dodge with Cummins instead. Why chance it when you can have piece of mind (at least with the motor) ? I have a 2006 F350 at work and it is almost ridiculous how bad it tows, I used 1/2 tank of fuel from St. Michael to Cannon Falls towing a flatbed trailer with 4 sleds. We blew a set of injectors already, blew all the plastic intake parts (PLASTIC !!!), replaced 1 turbo already. Truck has 38,000 miles

Quick update. I talked with a friend who works on pretty much everything diesel and he said leave it lay unless your are getting such a good deal you have the money to fix. So I keep looking ended up finding a Classic 07 LBZ Duramax with the 6 speed Allison. What a truck. It is so amazing the power it has. Plus it is right before they put all that emission junk on that really tanked the mileage. When I hook up the camper I pretty much for get it is back there. Awesome fuel mileage so far right around 19. I is awesome to have a truck that gives me a fuel window of around 400 miles. It has a after market 4" exhaust that just sounds mean. Problem is my wife really likes driving it too and I am out of town alot smile. So told me tonight I think I have going to have to go do some country cruisen and see just what it will do god I love her (both my wife and the truck). It is a hugh improvement from my 02 duramax.