• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Building rods for the kids

This may be a little late to ask but I just ordered a couple of colored blanks from MudHole - their Custom Builder Rod Blanks (by MudHole - not sure on the actual manufacturer). I'm building them for each of my kids. My daughter wants Vickings colors and my son (to spite me) wants Packers colors (I told him it would only catch fish in Wisconsin).

Has anyone ever used these blanks?

I am spending a lot of time and effort on the handles (wood handles with inlays that I am turning myself). I don't want to put Class AA handles on rods that will break in a year or two. They have a lifetime warranty but that won't help me much with the handles.

Thanks in advance.

Bill

I have never built on them myself, but most any rod that that is taken care of reasonably will last for many years. On the flip side even a very high end blank/rod that is abuse will break shortly. Believe me I have spent some time repairing a few.

Eyes on the Prize.

You should check out some of the cabela's blanks. (A huge variery - price range) I don't know anything about the blanks you are building on.

It's worth a look before spending a lot of time. Who knows, maybe what you are building on are fine. Maybe others can help also.

I've built on them and they are good blanks. Like upnorth said, most rods that are reasonably taken care of work just fine.

Both my kids' rods are those blanks - one pink (Sleeping Beauty) and one black - cut down to about 4'10".

I wrestled with a low 40's muskie last spring on the 4'10" rod and a zebco 202. I was impressed with the rod and how it performed. Rod held up fantastic and had the fish to the boat 3 times. If I had any kind of drag with the 202, I woulda had a chance to hand land it.

Mike - thanks for the info. Just got the blanks last night and so far I like them however the purple is very light (not even close to Vikings) and the green is very dark (but looks brighter in full sunlight).

I am working on my son's handle - pretty hard to find a green colored wood but went with Lignavitae and it will have cross cut elipticals of canary wood - I'll be sure to post some pics when done.

Well I finished turning the handles and am finishing them with a spray-on spar varnish (water proof). In the past I have used a paint on but this seamed to bubble very easily.

The weird thing is that the Lignavitae bled green when I applied the finish - and it colored the canary wood. If it were uniform it would look nice however there are streaks. I am going to let it fully dry, then sand it a little and apply another coat to see if I can make it look better. I'll post some pics of the final product.

I always use a spray on varnish to my wood handles, usually 3 coats to give it some good shine and protection. Not sure what you are using, but I use the Spar Varnish in either semi or high gloss.

Oddly the wood isn't obviously green however when you sand it, the dust is grayish green. I thought I removed all the dust from sanding before applying the finish but after the first coat it started to streak green. Having said that, as it dries the green seems to be diminishing - kinda weird - I should have taken before and after shots.

Could be that it just darkened it a bit and it comes out green.

It is definitely liquid streaking - not just a darkening of the wood - the vertical streaks cross the canary wood inlays. Even the drips from the varnish are green. (I just have to get off my butt and take some pics...

Not a whole to do other than sand it down and try again. I would consider trying a lighter first coat to seal the wood a bit and then hit it later with a heavier coat to actually give it some finish.

I do something similar with Color Preserver on cross wraps like chevrons and diamonds that I don't close. A flood coat of CP tends to swell the thread and leave gaps. I tiny amount on the corners and edges at first locks things in place to keep it from leaving me with unsightly gaps in the thread. I go back and apply several more lighter coats to lock the color.

Thanks upnorth - good idea...

I have yet to do any kind of decorative wrapping. You would think I take the time to make a nice handle, I should spend a little time to figure out how to make nice wraps. These two may be my first attempt...