• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Need walleye advice

fish catcher82

I am a first time user but have been reading an keeping up with the forums for many months now and found useful information. I started a church here in Rosemount MN 5 years ago and have done some fishing in the summer and during my free time. I have yet to catch a walleye and this is the year I would like to make it happen. I just purchased a boat from a Pastor friend of mine but now I need some advice from you guys on where to go and tips to make it happen. I will appreciate and info.

You didn't state how big your boat is, but if it's 16' or larger, I would suggest fishing one of the bigger lakes in our state, i.e. Mille Lacs, Winnie, Leech, etc. The reason for this is that it's a numbers game. The best way to learn how to catch fish is to catch fish. Greater numbers equal greater odds in your favor. I would also try to fish post-spawn (opener)to early summer period (mid-June). Generally fish are shallower and much more concentrated, thus stacking the odds in your favor. Jig and a minnow are tough to beat, as well as live-bait rigs, or slip-bobbering. These are all simple, basic methods that will get you started catching fish. If you have the money to spare, hiring a guide for a day can prove to be priceless. Most guides are very informative in what you are using to catch the fish and why you are using a particular presentation to do so. The things you learn in the boat that day can provide the building blocks for you to become a successful walleye fisherman. Good luck in your outings this year.

Heres what I would do is hire a guide. Take either a half day or fullday trip and dont stop asking questions. Most guides will be more and willing to talk and talk some more. That way if you have a narrow view on where and how to fish walleyes, they will open your eyes to so many other options. As you can see you are going to get alot of different answers but with a guide you can get some one on one time or bring your son, daughter or wife and make it a family event. If not I would recommend a jig and minnow early and a Leech or crawler as teh summer wears on. Good Luck.

fc82...First off, gives us a run down of what equip. you have/willing to get. Ok got the boat. Tiller? Steering wheel? Trolling motor(s) and where are they mounted (back or front)? Any sonar equip, flasher?

Rod/reels (spinning, baitcast,)?

This way some might be able to take what's available to you and fit that into a pattern that may work!

WW

I agree with hiring a guide. It really ups the learning curve quickly. Those bigger lakes are great for eyes, but you can hit the St. Croix River and Mississippi River for good eyes as well and not have to drive so far.

If a guide is not in the budget, see if you can find an experienced Walleye fisherman to spend a day or two in the boat with you. There must be one or two in your church that wouldn't mind earning a few points with the man upstairs.

Most fisherman enjoy taking a newby out to show them the ropes. Offer to pay for the gas, or buy him lunch and I'll bet you'll find somene that will be willing to take you out fishing somewhere locally.

"Ace"

Welcome to FM. Be sure to check out the Walleye Forum, we've got a lot of good info in there too!

Walleyes in metro lakes are tough because they don't act like traditional walleyes are supposed to act (ie. they're weed fish around here), and rivers can be tricky due to currents and things like that. If you and your boat are up to it Mille Lacs is a great place to catch walleyes, there's lots of them in there and lots of info on that lake. You can also check out the Mille Lacs Forum. Good luck and I'm sure you'll get lots of help and info from FM.

fish catcher i also live in rosemount and the st.croix has been the most consistant producer for me over the past 4 years.There is alot more room to fish but there are also alot of larger boats giving off some good size wakes.Id love to help any way i can i usally fish there 3 or 4 times a week,any questions dont be afraid to ask.

Good to hear from someone near by. I would like to know where you access the St. Croix river and then where do you head from there (down current or up current) Ive only seen the river driving through hastings long time ago but have no idea where to access it?

Hey fishcatcher,

I live in Inver Grove and fish both the Miss. and St Croix quite a bit when I can. I'm always looking for someone new to fish with, so you're welcome to join me. Is this a new church, or an extension of the existing First Baptist (my sister attends)?

Either PM me (if possible) or leave me your E-mail address and we'll get out some time.

fish catcher i put in in prescott then a short run up to the st.croix.If your looking for the best guide look on the fishing report area under st.croix report.The guy you want to find is Turk he knows more about the mississippi and st.croix than just about anyone.He also has a link to his guide service.Ive never met anyone who didn't have great things to say about him.

First thing..stay off the big waters until you get some experience in your boat, stick to a small body of water with a good walleye popoulation (use DNR Lakefinder for research) pick a portion of the lake and concentrate on it. It will not take long, Otherwise hire a guide 3 times this summer--June, July, August--it is easier to learn seasonal patterns, Good Luck

i grew up on mille lacs had a cabin on big point intill we moved to hl and have a house on the lake so we sold the cabin frown i was up there every weekend it seemed like. in the summer i pulled spiners and crawlers out on the flats (7 mile is good) and when it got colder out in like october we pulled plugs on the reefs up over the top of the reefs. had some luck with that in the summer to. night time seems to be best up there like midnight- 2am idk about later i was normally in my cabin by then.