• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Holcombe Flowage

wanted to know the 3 rivers that make up the flowage: Chip from the north...where do the other two come in? east of #27? I'll be there Memorial opener and want opinions on where to fish that lake, Muskie Islands? the flat just wet of #27, the stumps east of #27, up river to the island and down stream to the bend? feed back would be great. Use my email to get my phone #. Thanks

You have the Jump R which is on the east side of 27 - comes in at the northeast end of that section. I don't know of any rivers other than that and the Chipp - numerous creeks though.

I'd certainly try up there, Main Creek also comes in up there also.

The southwest part is good early also - Cranberry L(south of Co M) and near the mouth of Birch Creek.

Pretty much looking for shallow water/bays with warm temps and early weed growth. I certainly wouldn't rule out the stumps east of 27 or the flat/islands just west of 27.

I don't have any secrets for Holcombe - although walk-the-dog topwaters can be good there early season.

Hope this helps, fire away with any other questions.

The Jump is a good place to start. I would suspect walleye's to slowly be working their way back from upriver spawn locations. I've caught a fair number of walleye (all slot sized) on muskie baits, so don't be afraid to try artificials of a variety of sizes, just don't run them too deep due to the stumps.

we have a cabin on the holcombe. my dad bought it a few years ago. make it to the cabin about every other weekend in the summer. walleyes are usually pretty consistent action, but nothing big. i think our biggest is 26". most are 11-16". for muskies target the mouths of creek inlets and rivers. we'll be up this weekend for the opener, green lund fisherman with a 150 merc, MN license. feel free to say hi

i'd be interested to hear what you guys catch your eyes on. i hear a lot of folks pulling cranks shallow in spring. we tend to do well will lindy rigs and jig/minnow combos.

Opener was pretty good. We only caught 4 fish, but had a lot of fun in the process. We where fishing around the mouth of the jump. I caught a real small 4-5 incher than a 13 incher, lost probably a slot fish and finished with a 22inch walleye. I was using Northland's Slurpie grub in the green color with half a night crawler. Guys where having really good luck with jig and minnows as well. Can you always find walleye in that area or will they eventually leave for a different part of the lake?