• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

First Time ATV question

Nordern

I am looking to pick up a used 2000 Yamaha Grizzly 600, mint condition with 520 actual miles. The guy is asking $2800.00.

My question is 2 parts; is the Grizzly a good machine and does the price look right. Thank you in advance for any help.

That year had troubles with axles breaking (I think the axles were hollow to save on weight) on the early release machines, were also very susceptible to water vapor getting into the carb and a condition referred to as boiling the gas in the carb.

The axles are an easy fix. Just put aftermarket axles on. Otherwise if the machine is mint, $2800 is a decent price. Give the machine a good once-over before you commit.

There is one problem with a 600 Grizzly, It has a solid rear axle. If you are going to use it to pull a fish house or as more of a "work" wheeler that would accually be good, but if you are going to ride it on the trail or esspecially in the mud that is a bad thing. A machine with an independent rear suspension would be much better trail riding machine. Personally I wouldn't pay $2800 for a 600 Grizzly no matter how nice it is. I have a 05 660 grizzly and like it. In the economy we are in right now you can get a newer machine with IFS for not much more than $2800.

I owned a 98 Grizzly 600 and it was a good machine, although as stated for trail riding it was very rough. It was more than capable of any work you could throw at it, although it was not liquid cooled.$2800 is kinda steep if you ask me, I'd say around $2000, as you could find a much more modern machine for that price IMO.

Thanks for the advise guys. I may try to work on the price based on what you have sad. And I do intend to use it more for pulling a fish house and not so much trail riding. I'm getting too old for that much fun.

Nord I wouldn't be to worried about the axles I believe LEP was actually thinking of the 01 02 or the early 660s I have an 01 660. I agree the price is a little steep but have ridden a 99 with over 4000 miles on it and had very few mech problems machine is still running strong my uncles. Like said above not a seed demain or super smooth riding but the 600 single will pull about anything you could ever think of speaking from expeirence loaded hay wagon, not real fun to try and stop though.

Thanks for the advise guys. I may try to work on the price based on what you have sad. And I do intend to use it more for pulling a fish house and not so much trail riding. I'm getting too old for that much fun.

If you can get the price down a little that might not be such a bad machine for you.

Thanks again for all the advise. I did get the price down and now it's sitting in my garage. One thing I'd like to do now is make sure it's ready for the summer. I called a local Yamaha dealer and he told me for $180.00 they would replace the engine oil/filter, change the diff oils and adjust the valves.

Is this a good deal? I am pretty sure I can do the fluids and filter but does anyone know if the valves would need to be adjusted? It sounds very smooth from the short time I have rode it. Thanks for any help.

Quote:
but if you are going to ride it on the trail or esspecially in the mud that is a bad thing.

Having a straight axle is not necessarily a "bad thing" for trail riding. Independent suspension is definitely nicer but a straight axle is not bad.

It shouldnt need the valves done yet. If it starts good I would wait till you have put a few miles on it. Another thing, I dont trust dealerships. If you do decide to do the valves,mark a couple of the bolts that they will need to remove to do it with nail polish. This will tell you if they actually did it.

Thanks again for all the advise. I did get the price down and now it's sitting in my garage. One thing I'd like to do now is make sure it's ready for the summer. I called a local Yamaha dealer and he told me for $180.00 they would replace the engine oil/filter, change the diff oils and adjust the valves.

Is this a good deal? I am pretty sure I can do the fluids and filter but does anyone know if the valves would need to be adjusted? It sounds very smooth from the short time I have rode it. Thanks for any help.

That seems pretty steep to me. on my 660 I can change all oils and adjust the valves in just over an hour.