• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Should I switch to synthetic oil? 95 chev 225,000 miles

My 95 chev silverado 1/2 ton with the 5.0 just hit 225,000 mi. This truck has been very good to me. It is in perfect running condition, and doesnt burn any oil. My question is should I switch to a synthetic oil, or at least a high millage conventional oil? Every thing seems to be running fine, may have lost a bit of power over the years.

You would expect me to say yes, but this time probably not.

My general answer has a catch word: you can use AMSOIL (or any other synthetic) in any sound engine. That is, that is not burning or using an excessive quantity of oil.

In the old series of small block GM V8s, most have a fair amount of valve guide wear that gum and varnish are holding together. AMSOIL will clean this out and reveal a potential problem.

To change, even to change brands or types of petroleum oil, may reveal a problem. In your case, keep doing what you have been and stay with the oil that got you to where you are.

Few years back I bought a 1993 Corvette with 177k miles, Car ran fine for many miles, wife took it to work every day. I decided to take in at dealer for an oil change. I was 100% certain previous owner (cheap guy) changed oil with cheap stuff. Dealer replaced it with OEM synthetic. Car ran for approx 200 miles than developed a rod knock. Motor was toasted.

I just replaced oil in my new (to me) 1997 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins diesel with 245,000 miles. I used Amsoil 15-40. Don't have a problem at all whatsoever, previous owner always used Rotella-T non synthetic.

I think I would follow everybody suggestion to stick with what you used so far, just to be on the safe side.

I had a 97 Mazda MPV- it had around 130,000 on it and I switched over to synthetic once. Had a lifter ticking bad after that, even after switching back to conventional, which I did almost right away. Bad mistake