• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Alaskan hunting outfitters

I am planning a hunting trip hopefully this coming fall for caribou and moose and am wondering if anyone has had good luck with or knows of any good outfitters. I have never went on a trip like this and with my timeframe, I really need to get busy. By the looks of the prices, it is probably going to be an unguided hunt but i don't really know where to start looking. The price is a factor but I would rather spend more money and get someone that I know is good instead of going cheap and not having a good experience. If anyone also can think of some good questions to ask possible outfitters it would be greatly appreciated.

I worked at one for several months, the HSOforum is hunting adventure dot com with spaces removed. They are a very classy outfitter. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them.

Some good questions to ask are Price (obviously), what kind of base camp they use. ask about taxidermy work, and quality of game in their area. Also ask about lodging and food. Some will hunt you directly out of a lodge some will fly out to a base camp and spike camp from there, it all depends on the area. Ask about their planes, if they use planes, most do. Ask for previous years success rates. Ask for refferral #s from previous clients so you can call them directly and ask them about their experience. If I think of more, I will post it up.

Jeez your kinda cutting it close. Most good outfitters are booked a year out. Not sure with this year with economy and all that.

For your hunt I would reccomend a float trip that covers some country.

And also check to see if they fly over and check on you. Take some meat out or what not.

Africa is cheaper

Also ask about fishing, If you tag out early, what better way to spend the rest of your trip than reeling in some nice salmon, pike, trout, or grayling. This could be a very fun addition to your trip.

Originally Posted By: ac777
Ask for previous years success rates. Ask for refferral #s from previous clients so you can call them directly and ask them about their experience.

Can't overstate that enough.

Are the outfitters usually pretty honest when it comes to telling you past success rates and also their references. I mean they probably aren't going to give you people that left angry or unhappy.

Some of the units are closed to non-residents this year, we were gonna hunt in unit 17, that and 18 are closed,not sure what else is, good luck!

Was this closed for moose or caribou? That is very interesting because most of the outfitter's websites don't have that info on them. Also their pricing is usually about 2-4 years old so when you get ahold of one that sounds reasonable on the phone, here comes the sticker shock.

Also, don't forget all the new gear you will be required to buy. If you don't have it yet, it is going to add up, but the good thing is that most of it will be put to good use during the trip and in years to come on future hunts even if local. To give a general Idea, I will list a few things you will need. High quality optics like leupold, nikon, swarovski, $300+ for binocs and at least $200 plus for range finder. Very good hiking boots, good gun, preferrably stainless as it can be very wet at times. A good light and warm sleeping bag also. Outfitters like light things when flying you around, so just remember the lighter the gear the more you can have of it. Don't bring a heavy coat, get a warm light weight one made of synthetics. Waders might be in order if you are going to be crossing streams all day, depends on hunt, some areas this is un necessary. A nice backpack will be worth the money spent as you will have this on most of the day when hiking. Get some quality PVC raingear, yes PVC. The so called "water proof" stuff most people use like goretex and [PoorWordUsage] is fine for one or 2 day hunts, but if your hunting for a week, you want your gear to be dry and pvc will keep you dry and also dry off super quick even just in a tent. You can also use it when butchering your kill to protect your under clothing. I can try to find my outfitters list I got when I went up. If I do, I will post it up to give you an Idea.

Oh and about the outfitters being honest, they most likely aren't going to refer you to someone who was unsuccessful, but if you can call someone, be sure to have questions ready and lots of them. You should be able to tell by how the set up is run and how he does business if the guy is legit. Just remember that it is still hunting, and you aren't guaranteed to make a kill. You should have good chances, but there is always that small percentage. Try to do your part and be willing to hunt on crappy weather days, and all day and that will help. Trust me, some hunters don't like hunting in rain downpours, but it may be necessary.

Are the outfitters usually pretty honest when it comes to telling you past success rates and also their references. I mean they probably aren't going to give you people that left angry or unhappy.

Well, businesses usually hype their best stories but if you get a half dozen references and speak with those directly, you can develop a sense of the truth. Ask the references what their other levels of experiences have been in other places to guage what kind of hunts they are used to.

And I'm not sure, but success rates might be published by the State of AK. Log onto the State HSOforum and look up Registered Guides and Outfitters.