• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bowfishing opener is closing in!!!!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyway, back to being excited about bowfishing!!! Can't wait. Spent hundreds on bow set ups and a 400 dollar carpin pontoon. I'll have to post some pics as soon as I can figure out how.??

Does anyone know if the carp are in shallow on Buffalo or clearwater yet? Happy hunting!!

Originally Posted By: benbosh
Originally Posted By: mrklean
that i never got, crappie is open all year but we cant shoot carp? oh well i cant wait to go this year, maybe ill actually make it out

i think its because by then most of the protected fish (walleye/northern) that have seasons are done spawning in the same areas that fish that are shot by bowfishermen/women are typically shot in, so people don't mistake them for that species because once they are shot they proly wont survive but you can still fish with a rod/reel cause they can be released.

In all my years of bowfishing I've never mistaken a game fish for a carp...in fact, I've never even heard of someone "accidentally" shooting a game fish. I say the same thing about shooting rough fish as I do about hunting in general: Always be sure of your target. And with carp, its next to impossible to confuse them with any other fish wink

first of all there are some idiots out there that might and probably have and second of all not everybody bowfishes for carp. have you ever heard of gar? and are a few extra weeks really going to kill you?

Originally Posted By: TylerS
Originally Posted By: benbosh
Originally Posted By: mrklean
that i never got, crappie is open all year but we cant shoot carp? oh well i cant wait to go this year, maybe ill actually make it out

i think its because by then most of the protected fish (walleye/northern) that have seasons are done spawning in the same areas that fish that are shot by bowfishermen/women are typically shot in, so people don't mistake them for that species because once they are shot they proly wont survive but you can still fish with a rod/reel cause they can be released.

In all my years of bowfishing I've never mistaken a game fish for a carp...in fact, I've never even heard of someone "accidentally" shooting a game fish. I say the same thing about shooting rough fish as I do about hunting in general: Always be sure of your target. And with carp, its next to impossible to confuse them with any other fish wink

first of all there are some idiots out there that might and probably have and second of all not everybody bowfishes for carp. have you ever heard of gar? and are a few extra weeks really going to kill you?

I believe that you would have to be pretty stupid to mistake a northern for gar.

Hey now it all depends on the situation. I went and shot some short nose gar 2 weeks ago and there was a couple of times when we would get into a school of them and all of a sudden a small northern was mixed in the school and well i am not proud of this but i almost shot at a couple northerns cause i thought it was gar. Also all of this was done while shooting at night and the water wasn't the cleanest by all means. I bowfish just about year round. So if you are calling me stupid for mistaken a northern for a gar, well you haven't shot enough fish at night and just going after gar.

Hey now it all depends on the situation. I went and shot some short nose gar 2 weeks ago and there was a couple of times when we would get into a school of them and all of a sudden a small northern was mixed in the school and well i am not proud of this but i almost shot at a couple northerns cause i thought it was gar. Also all of this was done while shooting at night and the water wasn't the cleanest by all means. I bowfish just about year round. So if you are calling me stupid for mistaken a northern for a gar, well you haven't shot enough fish at night and just going after gar.

yes i can understand a few accidentially but some people im sure do purposely. we all make mistakes

when you are bowfishing murky waters like there is here in sw mn you shoot at any big figure that swims by... 99.9% of the time that figure is a carp buffalo or sucker.. only once have i ever hit a catfish that i thought was a small carp...so it cn happen

Stretch,

Season opens May 1st two weeks ago puts you 2 weeks before legal shooting. No matter what you shoot you are poaching. You also need to know your target. Shooting at a shadow in the woods is not ethical so the same could be said for shooting at shadows in the water. Please take time to read the regulations to avoid getting fines.

I live in SWMN to and still ahve never shot at anything I didnt know what it was. Part of bow fishing is knowing your target even if its between a buffalo and a commom carp I always figure it out or dont shoot.