• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bowfishing opener is closing in!!!!

I just started my countdown to bowfishing opener and it is coming quick. 36 days and the fiberglass will fly and the fish will die. I was just checking to see if I'm crazy or if there are other people that have the bug as bad as me, if there is anybody out there that thinks the same lets hear about it. I already have my boat set for the river. I prefer bowfishing out of my boat out on the river because those spots are untouched unlike the bridges that get pounded all day long.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm pumped! I think this year I may upgrade my gear too! either way... I love the sport. Thinking of trying it at night this spring with a spotlight. Something different.

There will be guys that will be going out of state bowfishing in the near future, as soon as the water opens up. I might be one of them.

May 1st is a bowfisherman's holiday in Mn. For me I cant wait for June 1st and to start wacken fish at night again.

that i never got, crappie is open all year but we cant shoot carp? oh well i cant wait to go this year, maybe ill actually make it out

i think its because by then most of the protected fish (walleye/northern) that have seasons are done spawning in the same areas that fish that are shot by bowfishermen/women are typically shot in, so people don't mistake them for that species because once they are shot they proly wont survive but you can still fish with a rod/reel cause they can be released.

I'm headed up to Fargo tomorrow for a few days of work. Too bad the ND season doesn't open 'till May because my buddy says we could shoot them out of his backyard in the field behind his house right now frown

Originally Posted By: mrklean
that i never got, crappie is open all year but we cant shoot carp? oh well i cant wait to go this year, maybe ill actually make it out

i think its because by then most of the protected fish (walleye/northern) that have seasons are done spawning in the same areas that fish that are shot by bowfishermen/women are typically shot in, so people don't mistake them for that species because once they are shot they proly wont survive but you can still fish with a rod/reel cause they can be released.

In all my years of bowfishing I've never mistaken a game fish for a carp...in fact, I've never even heard of someone "accidentally" shooting a game fish. I say the same thing about shooting rough fish as I do about hunting in general: Always be sure of your target. And with carp, its next to impossible to confuse them with any other fish wink

From what I have been told, there are a couple of reasons for the May 1st opener.

1. Is to protect the pike run up the creeks.

The other is...

2. To protect the sucker run that happens right around the pike run.

It would be nice to get out right away, but I can wait. May 1st has become such a tradition I am not sure what I would do if I could just go shoot.

Always be sure of your target. And with carp, its next to impossible to confuse them with any other fish wink

A lot of guys can't tell the difference between a carp and a buffalo. Heck, there are a lot of guys that don't even know they are completely different fish.