• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Spoonplugs...

Laska

I tried them a few times last year, I don't have a lot of confidence in them yet so I never left them on for too long. They've got a great reputation though, that's why I tried them. Troll them fast, like 3+ mph, and use heavy equipment because they pull hard!

I've seing them work very well. I watched a couple guys catch 3 pike over 35. one 40 and a ten pound plus walleye in a couple hours on spoon plugs. All on a metro area lake.. I couldnt believe it.

Back in the late 70's/ early 80's spoon plugs, no-bo line, stout rods and speed trolling were the THING for big fish. As I recall, when the water had warmed up the idea was to troll fast along the bottom of break lines. Speed trolling caused the fish to strike reflexively that is to say the fast moving plug caused a strike whether the fish were feeding or not. Anybody know if the precision trolling book has spoonplugs? The different sizes ran at different depths with a fixed amount of line out, I kind of remember there were charts of line length / plug size / depth of run. I would think a super braid and a line counter reel would work in place of no-bo line.

Spoonplugs sink so it is not just how much line you have out, but also how fast or how slow you are going, that determines how deep they'll run.....unlike a floating bait where speed doesn't make much of a difference because it's all about how much line you have out.

Just as any bait they all have their place and times to be used .. one place that i found spoonplugs great to use was on a timber infested lake ,, a spoon plug goes thru the water at such a sharp angle that when the lip hit a log it would fold forward and once past the log it would return to running normal... once i started useing them on this particular lake i caught alot odf good size fish and save a lot of cash since i didnt lose as much tackle

Blue Ribbon Bait in Oakdale (local bait/Musky shop), talking to Josh the owner, he recommended using them. Unfortunately I cannot remember the size, time/place they work best.

If you stop into his shop, He can help ya out.

Has anyone ever used these Im big into Northerns and never tried them, would be kinda nice to have a deep diving spoon...

Muddog, on FM, is a wealth of knowledge on this subject. I see a link has been posted from past information. This is a good starting point but don't be afraid to get it right from the horse's mouth in the South Central forum.