• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Respiratory illness in horses...

This past week my quarter horse mare has been having some problems with a respiratory problem. The vetetinary has me giving her some oral antibiotic that is in powder form and is added to the feed. The problem is that she will eat if the powder is not in the feed but as soon as you put it in she is done eating it. It really does not have a odor or taste but I'm sure that the poweder leaves a different texture on the feed. My next method is mixing the poweder with water which does seem to work but she sometimes does not finish her water which of course does not give her all of her antibiotic. Last night I mixed the powder with water and corn syrup then using a syringe put the paste into her mouth. Seemed to work but of course not without a little fuss.

This made me think about if anybody else is having some horse health problems or has had problems giving the medications.

Let's discuss this topic some and see if there are any hints or problems that we can figure out... smile

We've had the same problem. The oldest horse Doc whos 29 was having some really bad respiratory problems last year. We would mix the powder in a little bit of water then mix it in the grain really well. It seemed to work really well.

Thats what I was thinking too that the injections would just get it over with... My vet has been telling me to shy away from injections if possible to prevent the horse from becoming extremely scared of me.

Today she seemed to be some better but if she still shows signs of it yet in a day or so Im going to just get it over with and give her an injection...

not to argue with ya but how do they get thier regular shots, rhino, west nile, 4 way etc? If it's a rodeo to do it, show em a twitch. I find it amusing that a vet would tell ya the horse is gonna be afraid of ya if you give her a shot. Is it afraid of the vet? They can smell those meds a mile away and know what's up. I had one that was a witch to doctor, as I found out after I got her. An hour later she decided it was easier to take her medicine.

As long as YOU don't scare them, the shots and you are two TOTALLY different things. They aren't as smart as people think. Just do the technique of tapping them on the neck a few times, then insert the needle. If she trusts you, it will be a piece of cake. Even the youngest of horses, as long as they have been trained to be respectful, will accept. What a WEIRD thing to hear from a vet!

I would consider what my vet is telling me if he thinks shots "scare" a horse! Please don't take offense to that! :-)

The horses don't become afraid of you. i had to give my horse penicillin shots 2x a day for a week and i never had a problem. Word of caution though i wouldn't tap a horse each time you go to give a shot. just insert the needle. tapping gives them a warning that the shot is coming, thats when they start acting up. otherwise applesauce or molasses in a syringe or in the feed works to.