• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Crash?

Big A

Not looking to be morbid or anything.. figure it would be a good reminder to us all to hear about our crashes or close calls...

Last year I was riding about 2 blocks from my house. It had rained within the last hr or so, the roads were wet but it wasnt too crazy. A full size ford pickup with a bobcat on a trailer decided I was invisible and pulled right out in front of me.. shocked

I had two choices in those milliseconds.. eat the trailer, or dump the bike.

I had recently finished a nice meal so I decide eating the trailer was just not necessary at the moment.

I ended up high siding the bike and performed a superman flight manuever across the pavement.. sliding so close to the brakelights on that trailer that I swear I could feel the HEAT coming off of them.

The truck and trailer continued on down the road like nothing had happened... clearly an example of how invisible we all are to most people on the roads. sick

My buddy was riding behind me and come riding up with a look of shock and panic on his face the made me think I must have messed my pants or something...

Thankfully I was able to limp the bike the two blocks back to home..

A short call to the local PD, a police report, and a quick phone call to progressive and I was on my way to earning the status of a rider who was crashed his bike and walked away from it..

the bike sustained $1500 dollars worth of damage and was fixed in a mere 30 DAYS at the local stealership mad

That was my crash. I had some rib injuries but thankfully I was wearing full leather gear and let me just say.. THAT DID ITS JOB.. if I hadnt been in full leather I would have had some serious road rash.

I wish auto makers could create a light on the dashboard of every vehicle that blinked for 30 seconds once the motor is started that clearly stated..

START SEEING MOTORCYCLES !

lets all have a safe riding year and keep these stories as old learning experiences, and not new tragedies.

Ive had this posted all day.. so far 49 people have looked at it.

Its not that great of a story.. but do you guys mean to tell me that I am the ONLY one in here that has crashed !

Yikes !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I figured we have all had a close call/crash story..........

Remember, there are only 2 kinds of riders, "Those that have been down and those that are going to go down". Glad you made it out ok! When approaching cars/trucks sitting at a stop I always make sure I can see their eyes, If I don't see their eyes I know they cant see mine or me and I start slowing down. I taught my wife this when she started to ride, she thought I was full of carp (you cant see their eyes from that far away) well after 1 little narrow escape she's a believer now.

My worst accident was Aug 1,2003. Going down the interstate at 65 miles an hour with my Honda Goldwing motorcycle. The valve stem of the front wheel broke off and I hit the ashphalt at about 50 miles an hour.

5 hours in the ER I left the hospital with a bunch of road rash, ripped clothes, and a broken naughty finger with a splint on it twice the length of my finger... Hmmm wonder what everybody thought about that?

The only damage to the motorcycle was a few scrapes in the paint and on the chrome motor guards. I had the front tire replaced just to make sure and had both valve stems replaced.

4 days later I drove that same bike back from Wisconsin brused up and nervous but I still ride today so I must have healed...

My worst accident was Aug 1,2003. Going down the interstate at 65 miles an hour with my Honda Goldwing motorcycle. The valve stem of the front wheel broke off and I hit the ashphalt at about 50 miles an hour.

5 hours in the ER I left the hospital with a bunch of road rash, ripped clothes, and a broken naughty finger with a splint on it twice the length of my finger... Hmmm wonder what everybody thought about that?

The only damage to the motorcycle was a few scrapes in the paint and on the chrome motor guards. I had the front tire replaced just to make sure and had both valve stems replaced.

4 days later I drove that same bike back from Wisconsin brused up and nervous but I still ride today so I must have healed...

Scary!

Originally Posted By: hondarider550

Scary!

Its good to get back out there and not let it get you down. Like many have said.. there are those who have crashed, and those who will. I am glad I got it out of the way early! its makes us all better riders...

My uncle put his bike down on the interstate and used his elbow for a kickstand at 65mph... same uncle now has wires and metal rods throughout the entire left side of his body based on a the same type of scenario..

But he still loves to ride!

Two years ago I bought my first bike and crashed it the first day I owned it. I had logged about 14 miles when 2 deer ran out in front of me, missed one but got the other. I hit it at an angle with the front end which caused me to go over the bars and land on my head/shoulder. Luckily I had on a helmet and leather jacket, both of which were pretty tore up. Ended up with a dislocated shoulder and some torn ligaments. Who knows what the outcome would have been without a helmet, but after looking at the damage my helmet incurred, it would have been bad. I know a lot of guys won't wear a helmet but I won't ride without one. Way too many people die of head injuries that would have been prevented with a helmet.

Mr. Let It Snow has been riding motor bikes since 1964 (he has lived to be 53 so far) - lots of experience but ALWAYS w/ a helmet.

2 moments stand out in his motorcycling experience.

1983 - He "laid it down" in Tulsa when a car pulled out in front of him...going 4 blocks for a 1/2 gallon of milk. Crashed at 20 miles per hour. Road rash, lesson learned. Lucky.

1985 - He hit some gravel pulling out from a stop sign onto US hwy 53. He BROKE his helmet and his wrist. Rode 39 more miles like that and I took him to the ER when he got home. He would have been dead from a 30 mile per hour crash w/out the helmet.

No one knows when an accident will happen - that's why they call 'em accidents.

As stated earlier - there are those that have crashed and those that will.

START SEEING MOTORCYCLES - RIDE CAREFUL, RIDE SMART

A neat little trick when you're going through a busy intersection.

Try weaving back and forth within your lane. It helps people see you and it makes them wonder what the heck you're doing. The idea is to get the driver to second guess your move and they'll stop right where they are.

Another trick is to just point up in the air as you approach an intersection. It seems to get peoples attention for a few seconds, and they pay attention to you.

I've had blue hairs look me right in the eye, and then pull out in front of me. NEVER NEVER NEVER assume they see you.

Hope everyone has a safe riding season this year!

While I did not crash, the guy driving down the street in front of my work dumped in front of a car who pulled out in front of him, he was on his way to putting it away for the year, he was on one last run! kind of makes me scared to think about driving a cycle.

My worst crash was when a deer ran out in front of me at night on a really curvy road on the way home. I T-boned the deer at 50mph, I don't remember to much of the crash so I can't give details to what happened after I hit the deer, but I came to in the left side ditch and my bike was in the right ditch. I did ride it the rest of the way home but went right to the hospital and all I had wrong with me was a concussion and some bruises and scrapes, so I feel real lucky

Isanti Co has had a rash of crashes as of late.

Last being a Truck with oversize tires rear ended a bike. The hood of the truck was dented in with the perfect shape of the riders head...

Needless to say... SERIOUS SERIOUS injuries.. as the rider was not wearing a helmet.

Stay Safe

In all my years thus far.. i have yet to see a SERIOUS motorcycle crash that was the RIDERS fault... more often.. it is the other guy. watch out for each other and watch for what those other guys are doing in those vehicles !

I found out the hard way one does not have to be moving to be involved in a crash.

I was sitting at a driveway of a bank waiting for traffic to clear to enter onto a 4 lane highway. I did not see it coming nor did I hear it. Apparently one car was changing lanes and she hit the car next to her and forced her to spin out of control witch aimed the car at me she ended up hitting me throwing the bike 45 ft away and I came down slamming my head onto the trunk and sliding down the side of the car and thrown 15ft only to be stopped by hitting the car behind me.

I was extremely lucky as I was wearing a helmet as I would be dead because I hit the car with my head initially leaving one heck of a dent in her fender. Only injuries occurred were a concussion, road rash and a severed finger. The bike took the brunt of the impact luckily.

Have a buddy who rides dirt bike in the desert, while riding in the middle of BFE Arizona, he made a jump and came down on the front end. after landing from doing a header, the guy that was behind him did the same thing only managed to hit charlie who was laying in the trail. Front wheel started at bottom of foot he rode all the way to the top of helmet. For his sake he rides with armor on which saved organs etc but his legs and arms where trashed. his buddy worked on him for a bit and then road 22 miles back to main road to flag down a car to go into town and call for help. Set up a marker on the road for crew to find him. After being tended to, he was hauled out to the road on a big wheel behind a quad to a waiting dps helo to get him to phx trama hospital. I saw him a week or so later he had shorts and tee shirt on. There were square knob bruises from toe to head where is buddy ran him over. He is still paying for it some 15 yrs later.

Here's one for the belive it or not files (it is true though).

In the early 80's when I was much younger. I was coming down a bridge in traffic there was a stop light ahead with probably 15 cars and a semi in front of me. There was at least one car behind me. I noted the light was green but the lane I was in was not moving yet. I thought just make the lane change but since my DL was revolked I just hit the brakes looked in the mirror and BAM this lady hit me from behind. This is no bull I landed on the hood slid off and hit the ground as she came to a stop. My bike was trash. No broken bones (pretty sure thats why my back is messed up though). Moral of the story go with your gut and swirve if you can.

A few years back I put my bike down and did the superman thing (Nothing worse than a shinraking from your handlebars! cry ) I also had a helmet on which had a nasty gash where my chin would have been if I were bareheaded.

It was one of the last rides of the year and I seemed fine, put the bike away for the winter. Next spring I was a nervous wreck the first couple times I rode. I eventually got my mojo back and was able to commute daily, rain or shine (More because I had to rather than wanted to) I sold her that fall to help pay for covered transportation the following winter.

I got a wife and kids now, I don't think I'll be doing the bike thing no more.