• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Skunk Urine, now what?

Cootz

Maverick just got introduced to the world of skunks this weekend and I guess I did too. Used the tomatoe juice trick, no luck. Used vinegar, same result. Shampo'd him, nothing. The only thing that I found to work was to make him sleep outside last night. What really works?

------------------
So many scientists, so few rockets.

Cootz - There is a product out there called "skunk-off." I haven't found anything that works better. It will remove the smell from your dog, you, or just about anything. Call around to see if you can find some. I recently picked some up right at my vet's office. It's amazing stuff!

Two bottles of hydrogen peroxide, one gallon of water, about a cup or slightly less of shampoo and really soak it in. Be carefull around they eyes but it is really important to get it down to the skin around the head. He/she probaly got sprayed head on. I have no way to keep my dog outside and I was able to live with him after I used this on him when he was sprayed last fall.

Sorry to hear about the introduction. When that happened to both my dogs they actually killed it and shook it. They slime and smell was unbearable so I know what you are going through. I also had no outside place to keep them at. This is what I used:

The no scent soap for bow hunting!!! Also the no scent spray!! It really cut the stench and made it bearable. After about 3 days you can repeat it and that should be the end of it. I washed the dogs well with the soap/shampoo and then sprayed them down well and worked in the scent killer spray.

I now laugh at people when I see them not bringing a kennel for the back of the truck when they go hunting. I had one for the dogs when it happened to me. Without it I would have left the dogs and come back later. Just imagine how the wife would react driving home 3.5 hours with the dogs in the cab!!

Good luck and hope the dog is not resentful and now searches out the skunks!! Watch carefully.