• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

I have never ice fished, however I have a question...

Mary Knight

My first trip to Minnesota will be the end of April. We are going to Millie Lacs and I have no idea if there will be ice still or not, but if there is I would love to try ice fishing. I have sent a few emails to some guides, but have not heard back from them. We will be in Isle, MN if that helps any. If there is no ice, can you tell me what kind of fishing would be good so I can do some research. The place we are staying has Winter and Summer fishing info on their web site, however I think of end of april as Spring, so I don't know which category I should pay attention to. Any help would be appreciated.

Hi Mary, unfortunately you are coming during a transition period in not only the the fishing seasons, but also the ice/open water. Most people target walleyes on Mille Lacs and the season will be closed when you are here.

You will be able to target panfish and perch mostly. I would recommend visiting the Mille Lacs forum here:

http://www.fishingminnesota.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/forums/3/1/Mille_Lacs_Lake

There may be ice whether it is fishable or not is another question...You are coming in at a transition period. Some smaller lakes in the area may be open and that is a good time to start looking for panfish. Fishing opener isn't until the middle of May so your options for fish that you can pursue is limited to panfish or perch...Maybe look in the Mille Lacs area forum and you might get some better info. Good luck.

I agree with the others. YOu won't be able to get on any ice at that time. Check with local resorts in the are, might be easier to get a hold of than the guides. Hunter Winfields in Isle are always good and Paul at Appledorns is top notch. See what they have to say to you.

Welcome to HotSpotOutdoors!!

Mary, not sure how long of stay you will have but if you want to just try some kind of fishing in Minnesota when you are here, and have time to take a little drive. You could drive from Isle to the North shore and try some Trout fishing on Lake Superior. You may need a little different rod and gear, but a long shore casting rod would work. Have fun! smile

Mary,

Season for walleye and northern does not open until May 9 in Minnesota.

You could do some fishing on smaller lakes for crappie, sunfish and perch and have some fun. I'm sure you could find a place to rent a boat on any number of lakes nearby. One that comes to mind is Farm Island Lake but it is on the opposite side of MilleLacs from Isle. Crappies early in the season are a lot of fun.

A non-resident license would cost $39.50 for one person, $52.50 for a family, or there is a 7 day for $28.50 and a 3 day for $24.

Hope you enjoy your time.

Welcome Mary. smile

I would really encourage you to call or e-mail Paul at Appeldoorns Resort on Mille Lacs. He responds quickly and is a good guy! He will inform you of the best option going at that time of year. Tell him you are from HotSpotOutdoors.com and you will get the Royal treatment then winkgrin

Good luck and give a report after in the Mille Lacs forum after your visit!

Here is Paul's contact info:

Paul Waldowski

General Manager

Appeldoorn's Sunset Bay Resort

45401 Mille Lacs Parkway

Isle, MN 56342 · 320-676-8834

[email protected]

http://www.sunsetbayml.com/

Mary

welcome to the forum. the end of april will be really iffy for ice, would not veture out on it if there is any. Lake of the wood is a bit of a drive, but they might have ice, the walleye season is longer up there, but I believe it closes the end of april.