• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Swim Jigs

Craigums

I use the same as Fluker. 7' MF avid casting with 30lb braid. Medium action allows the fish to take it in and allows the rod to load up before I hit them. I am going to look at getting a longer rod for open water, but might go to a 7-6 MF. Fluker, you should be able to get a good look at that 76MHMF at most retailers in the Avid series. Haven't seen too many places that carry it in the LT but most do have it in the Avid's.

The hookset is more of waiting for the rod to load and then just popping it.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also use a 7'MF avid for throwing swim jigs with 30 lb braid. I think the softer action rods are best for getting hooks in fish. For guys that are having trouble hooking fish, I suggest a good quality swim jig with a light wire hook. The lighter wire hooks are much easier to get into a fish on a long cast.

Hiya -

Cool discussion.

Seems like the common denominator for guys using braid is either a rod that's a little lighter in power (M vs. MH) or a little slower in speed (MF vs F). Makes sense to me. It's a lot like crankbaits in that regard I think. The rod I tried using braid on was a MH fast, and it's a pretty fast blank overall, which is I suspect why I was missing fish with braid. Worked like a champ with mono though. I have some options rod-wise so I will continute to mess around with combos. I may try a MH mod-fast with braid this spring.

Superduty - very good point on the hooks (no pun intended). All my swim jigs are either Outkast, All Terrain or Brovarneys. Some of the 'swim jigs' on the market from bigger manufacturers have flipping jig hooks on them, and stiff full weedguards besides. Pretty useless I think, unless you're really combat fishing, in which case, why not just use a flipping jig in the first place...

Cheers,

Rob Kimm

I have used several different swim jigs over the past few years. I always end up going to Brovarney hands down. They swim straight and are hand tied. Custom Gama hook designed just for them. ZColor selection and customer service are the best in the business!

Hooks and weedguards are crucial as well as the angle of the eye and the skirt count. Like Rob said, a lot of generic swim jigs have a heavier weedguard, a bulky hook, the wrong angle on the eye (affects how bait looks in water) and have a normal skirt on them. The high skirt count does not allow the skirt to come alive like a lighter skirt. They do this so they don't have to alter manufacturing too much and can save money.

I have used several different swim jigs over the past few years. I always end up going to Brovarney hands down. They swim straight and are hand tied. Custom Gama hook designed just for them. ZColor selection and customer service are the best in the business!
I'll 2nd this statement!!

Originally Posted By: st.crioxfishin
Do you guys "pump" or "jig" your swim jigs on the retrieve or do you just reel them straight in like burning a spinnerbait?

When you are fishing in deeper water a short pause can trigger bits. Trust me smile

I love to fish swim jigs, they are a great search bait with all the weeds we have here in Minnesota. A Berkley chigger craw is a great trailer on one as well. I keep to more natural color, Green Pumpkin is still my go to color. White does seem to work well on river systems as well.

agreed

I would say that 90% of my swim jigs are 1/4 oz.

Same here. I have a few lighter and a few heavier, but 1/4 oz is just the most versatile I think. Casts half way decent and can keep it up at slow speeds.

Cheers,

Rob Kimm

I like a 1/8 oz. to 1/4 oz Outkast swim jig. Instead of the rubber collared skirt they come with, I hand tie my own with a little more tinsel than what they come with. I like to stick to bluegill or crappie colors and I generally like the fat albert grub from zoom.

I fish them on a Falcon Reaction Series swimjig rod with 20 lb mono. It seems like I can cast the lighter jigs better on mono plus it helps the jig ride a little higher.

gobble- Yes sir, I use 2 different ones quite a bit.. The Mr.Twister Sassy Shad. and the Castiac Jerky J swim.. Both work great.

As to the question earlier if I pulse or jerk the bait back in.. It really depends on the weather. When conditions are right, and the fish are on, a faster steady retrieve seems best.. however as conditions are tougher, pulsing, changing speed as RK said and does can trigger bites..