• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Dog food

portageman

I used to feed my 1 year old Brit. Lab Purina Pro Plan but after talking to the breeder I got her from, he suggested that we switch to Nutro Ultra. It is a all natural and supposed to be one of the best foods out there for hunting dogs. She has been on it for a couple of months now and her coat looks a lot better and shedding has decreased. It is a little expensive ($38 for a 20 lb. bag) and about $48 for a 40 lb., but it is a good food and I want her healthy. Anyone feed their dog Nutro?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My wife sells stuff through Amway. i bought the dog food for my lab, the stuff is amazing, It is called Nutripet Chicken Meal and Rice. I switched over from Science Diet. i immediately noticed shinier coat, and less toots, more energy too, but that could just be the spring air.

Here are the ingredients. Chicken meal, ground brown rice,ground white rice, chicken fat, dried beet pulp,dried egg product,fish meals, flaxseed, dried carrots, dried peas.

protein 24% fat content 12% plus Omega 6:2.7% Omega 3.65%.

Also contains Probiotics CFU/LB 240mil.

Its kind of funny, the neighboors dog eats my dogs droppings now, owner says he just might let her live of it

I bought a 40lb bag for $67 free shipping, but there is an 8lb for $16.5.

Let me know if you guys want me to order you a bag

[pleasebecomeasponsor]@yahoo.com

Native dog food has proven to be a good choice for my two Brits. I used to use Iams and when I switched it saw the coat of the old guy brighten up and also find less to clean up in the yard. Chuck and Don's sells it for around $43 for a 40 lb bag.

There is a ton of otehr stuff in it too, buti didnt want to list it all, more fruits and vitamins and what not.

This stuff sounds really good for the dog and healthy to boot. However $67 bucks for a bag is kinda steep when your used to paying $38 for a bag of Iams or what ever else.

before my springer passed on...(man, I miss her!) I was using Nutro. I switched her to it and noticed some differences. If you live near Fleet Farm, they sell it for quite a bit cheaper.

I have seen quite a few posts out there about diamond and when I get another one, I may try that, as I can buy it locally for very resonable.

Good Luck!

We started out on ProPlan for puppy then dog for our two setters, switched to Diamond Natural because some itchy/scratchy issues developing, now we're serving Diamond Regular(green bag)or Diamond Natural and they do well on it. Diamond works well for the two dogs and the cost works well for me.

Feeding Nutri Source for several years now both to the sleddogs (Siberians) and the Springers. All do very well even the old Springer with a fat/protein issue, keep her on Senior and she's functions normally. The rest get Senior in the summer, move to Adult in fall with Performance when they're running. Vet says they're the healthiest group she sees.

Premium foods are worth the extra cost, from someone that goes through alot of dogfood. Less going in and alot less coming out. And, firmer is always easier to pick up. pics on BWCA-Knife Lake thread.

i fed my last two dogs and my current boxer natural choice from nutro. good stuff first ingrediant is meat and it gave my 15 year old shepard pitbull mix and extra couple of very energetic years. my boxer pup has a super shinny coat from it and endless energey. i swear by the stuff

I just found a brand called Orijen.

It is 70% protein and 30% fruits and vegetables. Made with real chicken and turkey and no grains or gluten.

The dog loves it.

Google it, it seems like the best out there.

They have puppy, 2 different kinds of meat dog food and also a fresh fish dog food for dogs with allergies etc.

Not to [PoorWordUsage] on your parade but 70% protein without any listing of fat seems excessive on the one and extremely difficient on the other.

Dogs get there energy from fat. Protein builds and maintains their body.

Even the Super Performance (Nutri Source) I feed during the season is something like 33/31 protein/fat. Sleddogs on trail can burn 5000 caleries or more. The only way to get that much fuel in a 50 pound dog is feed a high fat content.

They'll use the protein they need then pass the rest.

GUARANTEED ANALYSIS

Crude Protein (min.) 40.0%

Crude Fat (min.) 16.0%

Crude Fiber (max.) 3.0%

Moisture (max.) 10.0%

Calcium (min.) 1.5%

Calcium (max.) 1.7%

Phosphorus (min.) 1.1%

Phosphorus (max.) 1.3%

Omega-6 (min.) 2.6%

Omega-3 (min.)

DHA

EPA 1.0%

0.6%

0.3%

Carbohydrate (max.) 20.0%

Glucosamine (min.) 1400 mg/kg

Chondroitin (min.) 1200 mg/kg

Microorganisms (min.) 120M cfu/kg

BOTANICAL INCLUSIONS

Chicory root 700 mg/kg

Licorice root 500 mg/kg

Angelica root 350 mg/kg

Fenugreek 350 mg/kg

Marigold flowers 350 mg/kg

Sweet Fennel 350 mg/kg

Peppermint leaf 300 mg/kg

Chamomile flowers 300 mg/kg

Dandelion root 150 mg/kg

Summer savory 150 mg/kg

VITAMINS

Vitamin A 15 kIU/kg

Vitamin D3 2 kIU/kg

Vitamin E 400 UI/kg

Vitamin B12 0.5 mg/kg

Thiamine 50 mg/kg

Riboflavin 50 mg/kg

Niacin 250 mg/kg

Pan. Acid (B5) 40 mg/kg

Pyridoxine (B6) 26 mg/kg

Biotin 1 mg/kg

Folic Acid 3 mg/kg

Choline 2700 mg/kg

Ascorbic Acid 55 mg/kg

Beta carotene 0.40 mg/kg

AMINO ACIDS

Taurine 0.3 mg/kg

T. Lysine 2.7%

T. Threonine 1.65%

T. Methionine 0.87%

T. Isoleucine 1.60%

T. Leucine 2.9%

T. Valine 1.9%

T. Arginine 2.9%

T. Phen. 1.6%

T. Histidine 0.85%

T. Cystine 0.5%

MINERALS

Sodium 0.4%

Chloride 0.6%

Potassium 0.65%

Magnesium 0.10%

Sulphur 0.4%

Manganese 14 mg/kg

Cobalt 0.47 mg/kg

Iodine 3.5 mg/kg

Selenium 0.5 mg/kg

Iron 200 mg/kg

Zinc 150 mg/kg

Copper 13

Its interesting that it includes both:

Glucosamine (min.) 1400 mg/kg

Chondroitin (min.) 1200 mg/kg

Common joint maintenance suppliments but it seems not to include in probiotic.

The botanical items are interesting as well but uncertain of the k9 benefits. But, if your dog does well on it, feed it so long as its a premium grade food and you can afford it.

That reminds me, need to leave early to pick up a 1000 pounds worth of NS (made in MN).

Keep your tail waggin.

My 3 1/2 year old Black Lab is very active I switched from Iams to Nutro Natural Choice she loves it her coat is very shiney and at 2 cups a day Gypsy seems very satisfied, during hunting I dont measure her food I just feel the dish and she eats what she wants.

Had bad luck with pro plan and Iams, the dog had a strong odor that changed when she stareted on nutro

It is 70% protein and 30% fruits and vegetables. Made with real chicken and turkey and no grains or gluten.

The dog loves it.

They have puppy, 2 different kinds of meat dog food and also a fresh fish dog food for dogs with allergies etc.

I would definitely consider it....if I could afford it!

$60 for 29.7 lbs!

I was feeding my 1 yr old lab Blue Buffalo for large breeds, however since getting Gunner, he could not handle the protein in it. So he was on Iams so we changed them both over. The BB was the cleanest that i had found, had no meal or corn in it. Chicken Rice, Blueberries, Carrots, and other veggies. i will give Lobo a bit of it from time to time just as a treat, he loved the dried blueberries. Gunner who will be 15 wks monday is nearly 40 lb, he is just a toad, not fat long and and fearless, thanks Gina. We have had good luck with the Iams but I think gunner is hungrier after the change.

Originally Posted By: MuleShack

The dog loves it.

I would definitely consider it....if I could afford it!

$60 for 29.7 lbs!

I was in the vets office talking to the Doc a few weeks ago when we were in for the last of the puppy shots. She ask me what food I was feeding and I said the Diamond Naturals puppy and she goes "Oh...". I said what do you mean Oh...? She said that it was not a very high quality food. I asked what she recommended and out came Iams and Eukanuba. Then I told her that Iams has corn as the first ingredient and then she changed the subject. Any way that got me thinking whether she knew what she was talking about or if there are better foods out there. I searched online and ran across this site that uses fresh ingredients and ordered a bag on line to try it. With this food we dont have to mix any canned food with it so I am making up my cost with that alone.

With the Diamond if I'd drop food pieces on the floor she would sniff and ignore it, but if this stuff falls it is gone.

I'm not pushing it on anyone, just putting it out there as a healthy option.

With this food we dont have to mix any canned food with it so I am making up my cost with that alone.

Why would you have to mix canned food with other dry dog food? I've never done that or heard of doing that.

We've been doing this for years with our first labs. The wife brought it up many years ago with our first 2 pups so who was I to argu. Now their gone and we have the new pup so we kept the same tradition starting at 4 months. I mixed about a 1/6th of a can in with the food at each serving to give a little extra flavor. She eats twice a day so one can lasts about 2.5 - 3 days

Some people spoil their dogs i guess...GUILTY grin

my inlaws feed their 9 yr old schnauzer mixed canned and dry iams at each meal. not sure why but he will eat it down in no time. i will take some left over chicken and boil it and make white rice to add to their food just to use it up. kind of change of pace from the same old thing.