• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Help? Tuffy's Gold Puppy

Grabs

Hey guys I just found out at the beginning of the week from the breeder that he is feeding my new pup Tuffy's Gold Puppy. Well I pick him tomorrow late afternoon and I am still trying to find this stuff. I have checked every store that I can think of, Wal-mart, Target, Rainbow, Cub, Petsmart, Petco, Menards, and the farm supply store here in Belle Plaine. Also the two local grocery stores, they carried Tuffy's but did not carry the puppy food.

Any ideas where I can find this stuff? I will be traveling between Eden Prairie, Belle Plaine and Waseca tomorrow afternoon when we go to pick him up. There is still a chance that I will just get some from the breeder when I pick him up tomorrow and then I can make a switch slowly after that.

Darrell "Tuffy" Nelson, father of Kenny Nelson, owned Pine Lakes Feed in Perham, Minnesota in 1947. After returning to Perham from college in 1964, Kenny developed the Tuffy's Dog Food Company in partnership with his father. This was an excellent extension of the business considering most of the raw materials used in dog food were already at Pine Lakes Feed.
In March of 1971, Tuffy's was sold to Star-Kist Foods, a Division of H.J. Heinz. After selling the business to Star-Kist, Kenny began a new company in Perham called Barrel O' Fun Snack Foods. Barrel O' Fun began production in 1973 manufacturing potato chips and other snack foods. In April of 1981, Barrel O' Fun was sold to G. Heileman Brewing Company. After selling Barrel O' Fun, Kenny began yet another new company in Perham, Kenny's Candy, manufacturing licorice.
Star-Kist Foods sold the Tuffy's pet food plant to Windy Hill Pet Food Company in 1996. Windy Hill Pet Food Company merged with Doane Pet Care in 1998 and Tuffy's pet food plant became known as Doane Pet Care.

In April of 2001, KLN Enterprises purchased the pet food manufacturing facility in Perham from Doane Pet Care and formed Tuffy's Pet Foods, Inc. Currently, all three companies originally begun by Ken Nelson (Barrel O' Fun Snack Foods, Kenny's Candy and Tuffy's Pet Foods) are wholly owned subsidiaries of KLN Enterprises, Inc.

This may help in finding a place to buy it, I would contact them and ask for a local distributor's number.

I got this info off thier web site!

Benny

I feel like I just got beat up by a history teacher... grin.gif

*Note to self* .. careful asking Benny Questions.

Here is my question, how can one person know all that about a brand of food, and not know where someone can positively buy it?

I have never heard of it before .. I probably seen it, but overlooked it.. I was just blown away by the post.

This company also makes Nutri Source a premium
food made with chicken and rice. No corn. It was
recommended by the breeder that we got our chocolate lab pup from. I got the info off their
HSOforum and called the company. They were very helpful and sent me a couple coupons.

Grabs, being you're from Belle Plaine, try Chub Lake Feed. They carry a big selection of foods. It used to be the only place that carried Diamond years ago, and I'd make my monthly run to there. I know Tuffy's premium line was/is hard to find in the Metro area (I checked into it a couple years back), if you continue to have problems finding it, have your breeder give you enough to cover 3-4 days of feeding and ween him to a new brand over a weeks time.

Good Luck!

Ken

I found some at the Waconia Farm Supply store and had a co-worker pick it up for me before they closed this evening.

Talked with Tuffy's today and that was the nearest location with it. Sounds like they will be trying to get it into the Belle Plaine Coop here soon, so I might just leave him on it if I can get a supply from there.

Seems like a quality affordable food.

Not sure where Chub Lake Feed is??

Thanks!

Fisherdave, if you want to continiuosly belittle me just send me an email.I will gladly bash you with emails, but I won't use this site for a personal vendetta.

I posted the information so he would know that it is a Minnesota based company and they have a web site for more info.
We can't post links or I would have just done that.I don't have time to research phone numbers for some one who is perfectly able and knowleagable enough to do it if given a heads up.
I am sure Grabs is internt fluent.
Thanks, Benny