• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Conditioning your pups

FISHER ED

Was just reading Mr B's reply on the ear infection topic about how he had a difficult time handling his 2 year old lab when it had it's ear infection. It got me thinking about how important it is to start conditioning your dog from day one. Take a few minutes a day to look into their eyes and ears, feel and handle their paws, and check their mouth and teeth. Doing this will teach the dog to be steady when you REALLY have to do any of these actions for a reason. Like Mr B said, a 60 pound dog can be a handfull, just imagine the guys with a 100+ dog.

Getting your dogs use to being checked over will be a great help when you and your hunting buddy are alone in the field and an accident happens. You don't want to be wrestling with a hurt dog all by yourself so teach it to be steady when you examine them. You'll really appreciate it. It also just firms up the idea of who's boss in the family.

Ed

Fisher Ed

You are so right about conditioning your dog to be handled.

The interesting thing was my wife and I had been doing that with Maggie. I guess we neglected working with her ears. Or maybe it was just that they hurt to much?

After going through the medications for her ears I think she actually like her ears to be played with now. We will not know until she has another ear infection.

If anyone has any other tips for training or caring for dogs I would love to know them. Maggie is my first hunting dog so I have learned a lot in the last two years.