• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Red River Flooding

Good luck in the upcoming weeks with the potential of flooding. From what I have seen, it will be 1997 all over again.

I remember listening to a GF station in 97 and hearing a guy tell the dj that "If those PWC's keep going by my place and the water tops my levee I am going to start shooting"...

I'll be thinking of you folks....

Yeah, I've been in the car a lot the past couple days listening to radio reports and flood preparation. I pray it doesn't hit 97 or worse levels! Preparation seems to be going full bore with calls for volunteers to fill sand bags.

The past few days predictions seemed to have changed a lot...for the worse. I think they are assuming and taking into account rain forecast for the beginning of next week.

Seems like this flood is very hard to predict.

Similar to 1997, the Red River Basin is going to need help to protect the Fargo / Moorhead and Surrounding Areas.

If you would like to help the effort:

To volunteer for Fargo or Moorhead sandbagging operations, call FirstLink at (701) 476-4000.

Here's a link to current river levels (click on the round circle near the area of interest):

NOAA River Levels

Here are some websites with more area specific information:

City of Fargo

City of Moorhead

marine_man

hopefully with slow melt maybe that could help.I remember back in 97 with all the help Grand Forks got from the surrounding communities including the ones that are in harms way this year will not be forgotten. Lets hope nobody gets flooded like that.

I was in Fargo attending NDSU and working for the City of Moorhead during the Flood of 97. I saw things I never wanted to see again in my life, much less in 10 years. Here's hoping we don't see those levels again. I know the community is prepared and willing to fight.

We can discuss draining and tiling of the valley later but how many 500 year floods do you need in a decade to understand drainage management within the watershed is important! Building flood walls in GF won't help when miles and miles of tile upstream are installed.

I grew up in Breckenridge and live through both the flood of 89 and 97. It isnt much fun at all! We lived out in the country and our house was no where near flooded but seemed like everyone else got it. Spend alot of time filling and placing sandbags around town, They should be in alot better shape down there this year, they dug a big diversion channel around town to keep the water out. Probably only making things worse for Fargo and GF!

One good thing was we missed almost 30 day of school between the snow and flood in 97 and only had to make up about half of them!

Hey there I am a NDSU student right now I work for the city of fargo. I guess you could say I'll be working on the front lines this flood. I dont think it will be wrose than 97, I'm thinking we'll see something around the 38 foot mark 97 was 39.5 in fargo. but that depends on how much rain we get. But planing is going great right now. We were a little surprized that we could see the river crest late this week. One thing that people forget about 97 is that the flood lasted a long time. In recent years floods have been much quicker where the river rises and drops much faster. Also one thing that is different with this flood vs. 97 flood is that most of the snow is west of fargo where as in 97 the snow was east of fargo in minnesota. So we have to attack the west side more, and there is new neighborhoods that were not there in 97.

I think that Fargo should get a dike with division system like Grand Forks got after 97. The state could afford to build one with its oil revenue. I think Grand Forks dike cost somewhere like 350 million, if I remember right. The dike in GF are good to 60 feet, in 97 it peak at 54 feet seven inches.

I'm curious to see this dike get tested but without anyone getting wash out.

I was at NDSU during the '97 flood as well and it's shaping up to be a mirror image to that year with possibly another late spring storm shaping up right when the river is cresting next week which is just about what happened in '97. I recall the college excusing students if they wished to volunteer to sandbag, but they were actually turning away people because there were so many willing to pitch in and help and that goes to show how the community rallies together during times like this.

Good luck to all.

Marine man is right. Moorhead was looking for help this morning. Meet at Nemzic fieldhouse and I guess they bus you to needed areas. Early this morning they had very few show up to help but I think as the word got out people showed up. Students are on break so that hurts with numbers. My kid goes to MSUM and he was getting buddies together to do a few shifts.

Remember to check your tetnus shot date. It's good to be current if your dealing with flood waters!

Originally Posted By: LMITOUT
they were actually turning away people because there were so many willing to pitch in and help

That's been the case somewhat, but I know that moorhead is looking for more help to fill sandbags at MSU today.

marine_man

I was referring to '97 when they were turning people away.

They just change there predictions about a foot or two on the water level of the river. If I can get away from work I'm heading down to Fargo to fill some sandbags. I'm afraid if I wait till this weekend it might be to late for them. They keep pushing the crest of the river a day earlier and foot higher. Hopefully the river shows a little mercy.Goodluck to everybody and hang in there.

They have pushed the crest of the river up to Thursday night/Friday morning at around 40 with a 40% chance of hitting 41. This is 1/2 ft above 97 and is coming MUCH faster.

We are surveying areas never discussed in 97. We are starting to construct a dike all the way to Fleet Farm on I29.

If anybody has any spare time Fargo needs you.

Check out kfgo HSOforum. Someone called in when I was listening asking the same question. There was talk of getting a block of motel rooms that could be reimbursed by a fund to put up workers from out of town. I have no clue if this was factual or just someones idea. Checking kfgo's HSOforum or calling them should give you some answers. Help is needed 24/7. But it is good to call the "first link" number posted earlier to set up needed times and places. They're doing their best to keep it organized the best they can.

Definately need any help we can get in Fargo right now. Considering it took 100 volunteers just to erect about 100 yds of a sandbag dike today where I was at, and that didn't include the people filling and sealing the sandbags that were delivered to us. We ran out of sandbags tonight, so we have to get after it tommorow morning. Good progress was made, but still a LONG way to go. If the river were to crest tommorow where we were, 100's of homes would be done for. Thankfully we have till late Thursday.

In all of this turmoil, I really have a restored faith in the American people. I'm not a small guy, but after even a few hours of lifting and stacking bags, it really wears down the arms and lower back. Yesterday and today in the 20 hrs I've been bagging, I've seen women and children filling, passing, and stacking bags to the point of pure exhaustion. Seeing 100 lb girls carrying 50lb sandbags, college girls falling down with bags because they could no longer support the weight, everyone covered in mud, sand, and whatever else the RRV had on its banks. It didn't matter what gender, religion, age, political belief, or social class these people have been, it has been one true unity of people. People want to be there, it's not because they feel obligated. It is just pure acts of selflessness and self sacrifice.

Please keep the Red River valley and its people in your prayers. If if you have a spare day, we definatly can use a few 1000 more strong backs. Trust me, we'll need as many people as we can get right up until early Friday's crest.

Quote:
Anybody up there willing to put a couple guys up on the floor or spare beds? I am trying to get a few guys to car pool up with me to come help out.

I seen on the news last night that one of the schools was opening their gym to volunteers.