• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

pointing lab ? problem

psegriz

Took mothers 9 mo old lab cross (from pound) out pheasant hunting last year. She has excelent nose bottom line best dog I've hunted behind. Third time Itook her out met a guy at wildlife he asked if he could hunt w/us sure 1 more gun couldn't hurt especially the way my buddy shoots grin.gif Well he offered $5000 for her granted too much.

She will flush or point, if she points she sees the bird and is close enough she will catch it if it moves b4 we get there to kick it up. Friends and I got 87 birds w/her last year we only shot 78. Of the 9 she got 6 were hens. That's Problem #1

The other problem is she wants to run. Oh she listens just fine will come or stop when asked that is until she gets on a bird.I used shocking collar 3 or 4 times and it worked. I could keep her close enough that when a bird did move she'd let us take'em anyway.

Mom found out about shock collar and now won't let me take dog unless I give her my shocker. She said "This is my pet and it is a house dog. I don't mind if you take her hunting she likes it and it gives her exercise. I am not going to let you use a shock collar on her."

Does anyone know of away to keep her from killing birds or keeping close w/out zapping them. She obeys fine unless she is on a bird

GRIZ