• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Go Go Go Gomez

alwaysonthemove

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw that game too -- I just can't figure ol' Delmon out -- he looks so clueless, like he is not sure where he is half the time. I wonder if he gets the munchies when the game is over?

Before you get on me, you have to admit that he looks like he is out of it so often ... maybe he is? That might be why he is in Gardy's Dog house all the time?

Just a thought?

Span gets on base and takes professional at-bats. No, he has never been a perenial .300 hitter, but he has done it before. Also, look at his OBP througout the minors, pretty decent, actually very good.

http://minors.baseball-reference.com/players.cgi?pid=13869

He also plays great defense, no arguing that.

He's a leadoff hitter. His job is the get on base, take pitches, provide good at-bats. He's cold right now, but just because his average isn't always .300, doesn't mean he is not a good hitter.

Single most important stat for a hitter = OBP. Especially for a leadoff hitter. He's not gonna whack the ball all over the park, actually, his minor league numbers show he has almost zero pop. But he will give good at bats. Frankly, I haven't seen a leadoff hitter like him on our squard since Chucky. Noone else I want leading off than Span.

From Sporting News fantasy today:

Carlos Gomez, OF (rank: 57) - Twins

March 28, 4:15 p.m.

Carlos Gomez went 3-for-3 with two steals as the Twins' No. 2 hitter on Saturday.

Fantasy spin: The plan is for Gomez to hit low in the order, but he's been far better than Denard Span this spring. He's hitting .283/.365/.587 with five steals in 46 at-bats, while Span is at .154/.257/.246 in 65 at-bats. Unless Span can turn it around before the end of the spring, the Twins will have to think about going back to Gomez in the leadoff spot.

Fish guy your right on there

I cannot wait to watch the twins spank the ball around I think they really got a chance to get to the big show this year.

I love Gomez that guy has a lotta heart into the game. Just wish other players [Young] had that much drive. It is fun watching gomez run. Dang thats baseball

But then what fun would we have posting on FM????

:DIn response to:

Poster: fishyguy

Subject: Re: Go Go Go Gomez

Originally Posted By: PierBridge

Now about Span who should be riding the pine when the season starts..

So Pier's statement got me to go look for a couple of posts I made about Span last year when everyone was ready for to put him in the Hall of Fame and tear apart the lineup for him, who at that point, had about 60 career AB in the majors. In the end I found a post by PierBridge that includes one of my posts but his post is priceless and pretty much sums up this entire thread and the ones like it.

All this said, I hope Span has proves me wrong but I think last year might have been his career year. If he can hit .275 or so his defense, speed and ability to work a AB still makes him a nice player.

Originally Posted By: PierBridgeOriginally Posted By: fishyguySpan has had a great start with a fairly paltry sample size of 64 at bats. Span has also never finished a minor league season with an average over .300,while batting a whopping .267 last year in AAA, but now everyone wants to dump Cuddy and tinker with a lineup that is producing the 5th most runs in all of baseball. I believe Morneau was batting about .220 after 60 at bats or so. Lets wait this out before we tear apart the team and lineup for him.

Not to mention Span is like a .140 hitter against Lefty's career wise.

LOL.... that's why they don't let fans make the decisions...heck we'd have to raid highschool teams just to field a team...

Let's see... Punto would be running the drive thru at Arbys, Mauer would be a DH or 3rd basemen, Neshak would be the closer with Nathan traded for Babe Ruth, Gardy's fired, Pohlad is whacked by the mob, Yohan and Hunter would be here to the tune of a GUARANTEED 1/4 Billion, the young starters would pitch the entire game no matter what, Doug Mientkavich never shoulda been let go his glove's to good .....yada yada yada... I know I'm missing a few good ones feel free to add them to the post!

That being said I love what Spans doing so far but only time will tell how it pans out especially after there is an actual scouting report on him and teams exploit his weekness's.

Go Twins!

anyone giving span props is a little silly. two words: Sample size. its too early to say that he takes professional at bats, especially since that wasnt something he was known for in the minors (and how lost he's looked during ST). the same people that are all over span becoming the savior are in large part the same people who loved Lew Ford.

lets wait and see. judging by results (and despite my dislike for cuddy) the starting outfield should not include span. then again, in order to see the who the true span is, he needs time and cuddy is in the way. stupid contract we gave cuddy as guys that can hit for his numbers are a dime a dozen and come cheaper.

hopefully span can step it up, but most of you are too confident.