• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

HELP !! Plaque on teeth?

I have a three year old Lab and his teeth have started to have a small plaque build-up! His gums are showing a tiny bit red around his upper canines. He has all the chew products? Would it be the food? I feed him Purena 1. What are your recomendations and ideas, other than a Vet! I know brushing is an option, But it's hard to make a 85 pound, three year old Lab hold still that long !! Been there,Done that!!

Rich
PSD Catch-N-Tackle / Bio-Bait

I know you don't want the vet option... but the dark stains on your dogs are no longer plaque, but built up tartar. You want to get that nasty stuff scraped off. As it builds up it allows more material between the teeth and gum causing disintegration of the tooth. At three you don't want this to continue as he may end up with tooth "issues" in his prime. Some dogs seem to be more prone to this and some have "pearly whites" well into their advanced years. If you make brushing a common occurrance for the dog, most seem to take to it after a while.

Good Luck! Ken

For all of the negatives surrounding rawhide, there is nothing better for keeping the teeth clean (and keeping the dog from chewing your house to shreds). A couple times a week for an hour or two is a big help. Don't leave rawhide laying around all the time.

You may want to try a dog food that has a larger kibble. I fed Purina One for one bag and quit because the kibble was so small my 1.5 year lab would lick it up and hardly chew. If they aren't chewing their food it's doing no good for their teeth. I'm now on Purina Pro Beef & rice and it has a decent size kibble for him to chew. Just my opinion.

W.W. Rawhide can cause some pretty bad digstive track problems, a lot of dogs will get diarehha etc. There have been cases of dogs choking on a softened up half chewed piece, Then you need to watch out for the stuff produced in Mexico or other 3 world countries. There has been cases of dogs getting sick / dying from the chemicals they use to preserve the rawhide.

I use nylabones (the best for cleaning teeth), cow-hooves, pigs ears (for treats)etc. etc. If they don't seem to want to chew them at first, smear a little peanut butter on them to get them to start in on them. I usually buy the smoked varities, they seem to take to them quicker...

God Luck! Ken

Dry food helps like Fisher Ed suggested, however, not all decent dog foods are large enough for the dogs to chew on. I prefer to give my dogs a bone every once in a while (get your mind out of the gutter).

------------------
Erik

Rawhide does a few things that Nylabone does not/ cannot do. It gets chewed and softened to various consistencies. This allows the tooth to pierce through the material, and work the gumline. Also, no matter how much a dog likes Nyla and Gumabone (mine do) they just never chew them for as long ar as aggresively as they will with Rawhide. Dogs will also do a "nibble" type of thing that works surfaces substitutes never see.

"Labsforme" You are dead on with the concerns over Rawhide. The perservative used in Mexico, Argentina and just about anywhere else in the world is Formaldahyde. Sweet, sweet embalming fluid. Always but rawhide that says "American Beefhide" on it.

I just assume nowadays that people feed a high quality premium food to their dogs, right? I can't see how many times vets have to explain the value. It is SO worth it............

Try one of those big blue indistructable hollow chew things, cant remember what their called, hollow to be filled with peanut butter and treats and yummie goodness, stuff'em full and youre dog will chew and work for hours to get to the prize, mine loves it. Later boar.

I understand the 3 year old concept but you do want to preserve the teeth for years to come. How do you clip the toenails... another battle I know but if you get used to taking the dog and having them lay down between your legs you can flip them on their back to do the nails and also scrape the teeth yourself. My dentist gave me a couple of old scrapers and I scrape them when they need it. They are under control and better behaved as it is the same position I do the nails in. Worth a try. I have a chessie at 85# and it is better to get them used to the handling as there will be more yet to come.

There is no choice other than a vet.
They will put your dog under then they have at it. You would'nt hesitate to bring your children to the dentist, then do the same for your doggy! It does'nt cost that much. And then it will be alot easier to keep it's teeth clean!

[This message has been edited by Finlander (edited 04-13-2004).]

[This message has been edited by Finlander (edited 04-13-2004).]

I know a vet would be the proper answer for my dogs teeth, But let me tell you what happened to my last dog (Simmons). I can't blame anything on anybody, but the last time I had my dog put under he had seizures for the rest of his life! Over anesthetized? Not a pretty sight! Now you know my skepticism. Am I wrong? My Vet is the best. What are the chances??

Rich
PSD Catch-N tackle/Bio-Bait