• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Dog House size

Grabs

Guys, I'm trying to plan and design a dog house for my English Setter. The parents are a bit on the small size for the breed, so I am planning on having a similar sized dog. But I am finding that I don't exactly agree with all of the advice I am reading on the web. Some of the dimensions seem a bit large for an area that the dog needs to heat on its own. I plan to have a removable false wall inside to create a smaller space for the winter months and then be able to remove it for a large space in the summer. In the winter this would also create an area free from wind and snow that could enter through the door of the house.

Does anyone have any advice or recommendations on how to appropriately size a dog house? Any GREAT web pages out there that I haven't seen yet?

Thanks

Grabs... I've built a lot of sizes and styles of houses over the years, Most have actually been ruined by the dogs, some of the earlier versions the weather got over several years as I don't like using pressure treated lumber (CCA - copper, chromium, arsenic all are toxic) if it's possible they can chew on it. With all that said, I've decided that the K-9 Kondos are the best way to go. They literally will last forever, they are chew proof, and it takes nothing for a dog to heat them up themselves. I use the original barrel style for my labs, that and a little bedding and they are good to -10, colder than that and they come in to the garage. I recommend these to the people who buy my pups as I have full confidence in them. One of my clients purchased the K-9 Den(?) I believe it was called. Very nice house, maybe even nicer than mine, but it looked like more of a chore to assemble, I believe it took him a good 3 hours. Mine have sun decks, and I believe his has a flat roof that comes off so you can clean it easier. All have a great door system that can be pinned open during summer months. They are plastic so no worries about mold or mildew or fleas building up in the cracks of wood. Check them out.

If you decide to use wood, I recommend cedar as it is fairly rot resistant and it won't hurt the dog if they gnaw on it. A little tougher to really scrub clean as you now have wet wood, and homemade doors always seem to get removed by the pooch (especially Labs... they hate doors) K-9 sells their door kits seperate if you still want to build your own.

Good Luck! Labs

Thanks for the information....I've looked at some of these houses before. My biggest concern is that I think the space is too big for my dog. The parents of my dog are rough 35-40lbs English Setters, I expect my dog to be about the same size.

That 60lb german shorthair in the pictures seems to have too much space for the winter months, my little setter would have a hard time keeping that house warm enough by itself.

FYI: All treated lumber has to be arsenic free and free from all heavy metals now.

I'm going to keep digging into these, my other concern is my dog house needs to be on the outside of my kennel and it needs to line up with a preexisting opening in the back side of the kennel.

Grabs... I have a 45lb. lab living in one of the barrel style. Those are actually smaller than the other style. You can buy the insulation kit also, which will really help with the warmth.

Even though the lumber yards had to switch to Arsenic free lumber, there is still a lot of CCA roaming around. Also the copper and chromium are in high enough levels to cause harm.

Good Luck in your search. My last houses before the Kondos were made of cedar and lasted for 9 years. The interiors of them were if I remember 28" x 38". I didn't have an offst wall, but rather an offset door. I used flaps made from the rubber that printers use on their press. These would usually last a month till they had them pulled off. I made sure they were on the east side of my home so they rarely had winds and they got good morning sun, but were out of the late afternoon sun.

Good luck! Ken