• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Southeast Iowa Fishing Reports

Well I've gone fishing a few times so far. 1 small largemouth at arbor lake on a rapala. No bites on the North Skunk river below the dam at Wabagon (spelling?) Mill. And 2 bluegills at Rock Creek Lake off shore. I fished in all 3 spots numerous times with different types of gulp and powerbait catfish baits with no luck. Is it because there are no cats where I am or that they won't eat the gulp and powerbait? Any advice at all would be awsome, I just want to catch some fish!

Thanks!

Just got back from Rock Creek. I tried the small cove on the east side of the lake, the one you can drive right down to and turn around. Soaked a chicken liver for about 30 min on a bottom rig with no bites and then a whole gobbed on crawler for an hour and got numerous bites (felt like little pecks, no real takes) towards dark. I then casted out a small jig and tipped with gulp under a bobber and caught a small bluegill which makes me think the small bites I was feeling on the crawler were 'gills too. Could they be a cat or carp? I saw carp jumping around the cove and also other fish jumping that I didn't see what they were. Any tips? I'd really like to catch my first catfish!

The pecks were probably bluegill--they'll sit and nibble at crawlers all day. When a channel cat hit a bait, they generally don't mess around. If a carp decides to take your bait, it will make a run with it, not nip at it.

As for catching channel cat in lakes and reservoirs, try after dark around rocks. Rock Creek is an artifical lake, so I'm betting there is rock at the dam. (Obviously, I've never been to Rock Creek, so I can't point you to any specific areas.)

If you want to catch channel cat, I would recommend fishing whatever river is near you. I don't target channel cat much, but I catch a lot more of them fishing rivers than in reservoirs like Macbride.

Thanks 'eyehunter! I figured they were bluegills... Oh well. I tried Diamond Lake last night for the first time on the jetties near the dam and then the one that spans the very N side of the lake. I caught lots of dink bluegills but nothing else... tried for cat's the whole time again. I tihnk I'm going to have to stick to the North Skunk river to try and catch a cat since I can't get one in a lake. Does anyone know any good areas on the North Skunk?

Thanks for any help!

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

Lake Geode

Water temperatures are starting to cool of into the 60s. Bluegill - Fair: The bluegills are starting to move into the shallow waters later in the day. Not many anglers are out yet looking for them.

Lake Belva Deer

The road work is done for the rest of the year. They will let the road bed settle this winter and start the paving part of the project next year. Channel Catfish - Good: Channel catfish fishing remain steady as these fish fatten up for the winter. Bluegill - Excellent: The bluegills are in shallow. My preferred baits for this time of year is small 1/64 ounce jigs tipped with wax worms. Crappie - Excellent: Crappie fishing remains very good. Work along the rocks and trees in the lower part of the lake.

Lake of the Hills

Water temperatures are dropping into the upper 60s. The fish are starting to fatten up for the winter. Channel Catfish - Fair: Some anglers are catching fish on chicken liver. Hit the ledges to deep water during the day. Bluegill - Good: Work them just like the crappies. Largemouth Bass - Good: Lake of the Hills sister lake: Railroad lake has been producing some nice bass by flipping plastics close to the flooded trees. Crappie - Good: Hit the brush piles with wax worms on small jigs and bobbers. Jigging small tube jigs tipped with wax worms in the deeper brush piles are producing the bigger fish.

Lake Darling

The lake remains drained.

Skunk River (Coppock to Mississippi River)

Water temperature is in the upper 50s to low 60s. The river level remains higher than normal for this time of year and I doubt it will get better with all the rain forecast. Flathead Catfish - Good: These fish are doing the last of the winter fattening up as they start their migration to their over-wintering spots.

Iowa River (Columbus Junction to Mississippi River)

NOAA has the river dropping several more feet during the next few days. I wonder if they have checked the weather forecast.

Pollmiller Park Lake

Channel Catfish - Slow: Bluegill - Slow: Largemouth Bass - Slow: Crappie - Fair: Jigs tipped with minnows, with and without a bobber, have produced a few nice crappies. Constantly twitching the bait seems to alert crappies and gets them to bite.

Kent Park Lake

Channel Catfish - Fair: Some eating sized fish are being taken. Early and late have been the best times of the day. Bluegill - Fair: Use small jigs, worms, or wax worms around brush. Largemouth Bass - Fair: Try crankbaits or soft plastics around shallower brush or rock.

Lake Macbride

Largemouth Bass - Fair: Fish will begin to move toward shoreline cover as the water cools. Try crankbaits, spinnerbaits, or soft plastics around rock and wood. Crappie - Fair: Fish over brush with small jigs or minnows. The fish should continue to move to shallower structure as the water cools.

Pleasant Creek Lake

We have received no information regarding fishing on this water body this week.

Coralville Reservoir

As of October 1, the lake level is 686 feet. The water has dirtied up following the high winds and rain. Channel Catfish - Slow: Drifting cut bait has produced some nice sized fish. White Bass - Slow: Watch your electronics for scattered schools of fish, and use crankbaits or jigs.

Iowa River (Coralville Lake to River Junction)

As of October 1, the flows are 3,500 and are predicted to 6,000 on Friday. This will affect water levels and clarity as well as fish location and feeding. Channel Catfish - Fair: Anglers have been picking up some fish on shad. White Bass - Fair: Throw jigs or crankbaits below the dams.

Lake Wapello

The lake has been renovated and is being allowed to fill.

Lake Keomah

Channel Catfish - Slow: Try night crawler or cut bait along the shoreline. Bluegill - Fair: Anglers are using small jigs tipped with a wax worm fished around structure. Largemouth Bass - Slow: Try rubber worms along the fishing jetties or around submerged structure.

Lake Miami

The lake is 6 feet low due to a planned drawdown. The boat ramps are still usable. Channel Catfish - Slow: Use night crawlers or cut bait. Largemouth Bass - Fair: Use spinnerbaits around the flooded timber or areas with submerged structure. Try using rubber worms in the same areas.

Lake Sugema

Bluegill - Fair: Use small jigs tipped with a wax worm or chunk of night crawler around the weed line. Largemouth Bass - Good: Use spinnerbaits or crankbaits around submerged structure or the weed line. Try Carolina rigged worms around areas of timber or the lily pads. Crappie - Fair: Use jig and minnow combinations around the flooded timber. Keep moving until finding active fish. Walleye - Slow: As the water cools, the walleye will move onto areas with rocks. Try a jig and minnow combination or a crankbaits around areas near the dam.

Rathbun Reservoir

The water temperature is in the upper 60s. The lake level is 905.21 with normal pool being 904.00. Channel Catfish - Fair: Blood bait and cut bait have been catching some nice sized channel catfish. South Fork has been a productive area to try. White Bass - Slow: Try baits that mimic shad like chrome colored crankbaits or jigging spoons. Crappie - Fair: Anglers are catching crappies around submerged brush piles in 10 to 15 feet of water. Most fish are being caught on a jig and minnow combination. Walleye - Slow: Trolling crankbaits around submerged drop-offs and underwater islands has been successful.

I have been in Michigan since last Friday, so I haven't been able to check ice around Johnson County, but I got up very early this morning in Ann Arbor and drove back to IC to beat the storm. After I got my stuff stowed away I went out and checked three ponds in the area, all within a few miles of each other:

My usual first-ice pond, an acre at most in surface area with a max depth of about 13', is 95% iced over. The ice near shore was no more than half-frozen crust, open in places. The ice over deeper water is already covered with snow, and has a couple inches of open water between the ice and the snow, probably due to the weight of the snow. I don't know how thin that ice over the deeper water is, but it held up a softball-sized rock I tossed out on it.

A second pond, a couple acres in size with a max depth of 25', is still completely open.

A third pond, between the first two in surface area with a max depth of about 10', is a little over half open.

I am still hoping to get out, probably on the third pond that is a little over half open, this Saturday. Since it is partly open now, I hope it will freeze up solidly by the weekend.

The deepest and still entirely open pond always takes longer to freeze, so that one is out.

I am not sure about what the ice on the first, smallest pond will be like after the deep freeze. Hopefully the snow will completely flood the existing ice on that one and melt it so it will freeze over good the next couple days, but I don't know about that. If not, I am planning a road trip back to Minnesota next week anyway.

The University cancelled classes today, so I went for a drive and checked the same three ponds from yesterday afternoon. The two smaller ponds were covered with slush, while the deep pond is still open.

At this point in time, I have no idea if the slush cover will help or hurt ice formation over the next couple days. Maybe the open water with slush on it will freeze faster,and with what ice was there before now covered by slush and water, maybe it will freeze quicker too. I'll know more by Friday.

I did my quick pond ice check after classes this afternoon, and it was better than I hoped. I checked my usual first-ice pond, and found it clear of snow except on the very edges. I spudded my way out, found the going good, and drilled a couple holes. On top was about 3" of cloudy ice, and about 3" more of good clear ice beneath that. laugh So I ran home, grabbed my fishing gear, and drove right back.

I fished for about an hour, and caught probably twenty bluegill, with two or three over eight inches. Those went back, but I kept nine in the 6-7" range while tossing back some smaller ones. The fish were surprisingly aggressive, given that we are just coming out of a severe cold front. I definitely intend to be back tomorrow morning.

Since I was in a hurry to check, and then fish, my first-ice pond, I did not get around to any of the others. The pond I fished was the one that was covered with slush Wednesday, with an unknown amount of ice weighted down beneath the slush. I hoped the snow would sink the ice and then freeze the water and slush on top, and that is exactly what happened. grin

The little warm spell this past weekend did end up helping ice formation on the ponds around Iowa City. This afternoon, I found two inches of white ice/frozen slush and snow with five inches of good clear ice beneath it. This was on the same pond I found three inches of each a week ago.

I caught a lot of bluegills again this PM on waxies. It has been a nice kickoff to the ice season in Johnson County so far.

Only place I've been fishing is Union Grove, I've been getting a few gills and crappies, but a lot of sorting to get a few keepers. Read a report on Jacob Krumm that sounded promising, if that's close you might want to give it a try. That's about all I've heard about down that way.

Went out on Jacob Krumm for about 15 minutes before almost literally getting blown off the lake. It was a cold and windy one out there without a portable. Caught a crappie right away but nothing else after that. Ice was around 10 inches in 18 FOW. Also I checked the ice on Rock Creek, 9 inches everywhere I checked in the main lake!

Lake Geode

Unsafe ice conditions. Ice conditions have gone from bad to worse. There is a couple thousand geese that are helping keep part of the lake open.

Lake Belva Deer

Last week's rain has made for very unsafe ice conditions. The ice was thin to begin with and around the edges, especially, it is worse to no ice at all. Tuesday, about 30 acres of the lake was open water.

Pollmiller Park Lake

Unsafe ice conditions. The rains last week has removed the ice around the edges and made the remaining too thin to walk on. There are also areas of slush and open water.

Lake of the Hills

Ice conditions have deteriorated since last week. Use extreme caution if you venture out onto the ice. Rainbow Trout - Fair: Anglers are catching trout with flashy lures tipped with wax worms. Remember to have your trout stamp. Bluegill - Slow: Anglers are catching a few small bluegills.

Hannen Lake

Ice fishing has begun here, but not much has been caught at this point.

Iowa Lake

There is approximately 5 inches of ice. Bluegill - Good: Fish around structure with a jig/wax worm. Crappie - Fair: Fish around structure with a jig/wax worm. Crappies may be suspended, and most are running 7 to 9 inches.

Kent Park Lake

There is 8 inches of ice on the lake and ponds. Bluegill - Fair: Fish around the brush with a jig/wax worm. Some decent sized bluegills have been caught.

Lake Macbride

The lake has been lowered approximately 8 feet for equipment access to shorelines and islands for another riprap project. However, after last weeks rain and melting, the lake has come up 2 to 3 feet. The edges can be in poor condition, so use caution when getting on and off the ice. Crappie - Good: It is hit or miss here. Some anglers are catching limits of 10 to 12 inches, while others are zeroing. Try around deeper brush or suspended over deep water. Wiper (Hybrid Striped Bass) - Slow: A few anglers have picked up a bonus wiper. Move around looking for schools of shad and then drop down a spoon into the school.

Pleasant Creek Lake

White Bass - Fair: Some anglers are finding schools of white bass and catching them on small jigs, spoons, or minnows. Keep moving until a school is found. Bluegill - Fair: Try for gills around brush or the dam with a small jig and wax worm.

Diamond Lake

Ice is reported as 7 to 8 inches. Channel Catfish - Slow: An occasional catfish is being picked up while fishing for panfish. Bluegill - Slow: Try around the dam and boat ramp areas that contain brush. Crappie - Slow: A few fish are being caught around deep brush down towards the dam end of the lake.

Otter Creek Lake

Ice was last reported as 8 to 10 inches. Crappie - Fair: A few nice crappies are being picked up in the deeper brush. Yellow Bass - Good: Use a small jig/wax worm or spoon to catch these plentiful fish. Keep moving until you find them.

Union Grove Lake

The lake's aeration system was turned on Dec. 21, so be aware of open water at the dam end of the lake. There is 9 to 10 inches of ice on the rest of the lake. Bluegill - Fair: Fish in the 6 to 7 inches range are being caught around brush on ice jigs tipped with wax worms. Crappie - Slow: A few crappies are being picked up, especially towards dusk.

Coralville Reservoir

As of Dec. 31, the lake level is 683.6 feet. The lake rose a foot after last week's rain and melting. The lake is falling and there is open water at Mehaffey and at Macbride. The ice is extremely variable and dangerous due to current and changing water levels.

Cedar River (La Porte City to Cedar Rapids)

The backwaters around Palo and Cedar Rapids have been producing some fish. Bluegill - Fair: A jig and wax worm around structure has been working best. Crappie - Good: Jigs or minnows under a slip bobber have been producing. Walleye - Fair: Try a spoon or bobber/minnow for best results.

Lake Wapello

The lake was drained this summer but has been renovated and is being allowed to refill.

Red Haw Lake

The lake's ice is variable and thin in many spots. There is also some open water. Use caution if venturing out.

Lake Keomah

The ice is variable in thickness so use caution if heading out.

Lake Miami

The ice thickness varies so use caution if venturing out onto the ice. Some areas have 5 inches of ice. Very few anglers have been venturing out so far this winter.

Lake Sugema

Use caution if venturing out. Ice thickness is variable.

Rathbun Reservoir

The lake is frozen over. The bays and coves have more ice than the main lake. Use caution if venturing out because the ice thickness varies from place to place. Honey Creek State Park will be closed this winter due to road construction.

A little Johnson County update:

Anywhere from 8" to a foot of good ice on the ponds around Coralville right now. The fishing has slowed a little on them from what it was before New Years, but that is normal.

I picked up some small bluegill this morning; nothing great. They are getting pickier, due probably to both dropping oxygen levels and fishing pressure.

There has been solid ice, usually with snow on top, on the ponds for a month now, and that cuts out sunlight to the weeds below, which begin to die off and sap oxygen as they rot. The good news is we aren't in the mid-winter slump yet, when oxygen levels get really low and the fishing goes dead.

Lake Geode

UNSAFE ICE CONDITIONS. Ice conditions are deteriorating very quickly now.

Lake Belva Deer

Most areas of the lake have 6-plus inches of ice. Concentrate you efforts in the flooded timber around the old creek channel. The county plans on sanding the hill down to the ramp. Look for the water to cloud back up with the rain. Bluegill - Good: Anglers are fishing in the flooded timber out by the creek channel. Crappie - Good: Fish the same areas as for bluegills. Look about 2 to 3 feet off the bottom.

Lake of the Hills

Use caution out on the ice. Drill test holes. The weather forecasted for Saturday will make ice conditions deteriorate. Bluegill - Slow: Anglers are catching a few small bluegills. Crappie - Slow: Mostly smaller fish concentrate your effort on the submerged tree piles.

Hannen Lake

Iowa Lake

Early morning has been the best time to fish here. Bluegill - Fair: Fish around structure with a jig/wax worm. Crappie - Fair: Fish around structure with a jig/wax worm. Crappies may be suspended, and most are running 7 to 9 inches.

Kent Park Lake

Lake Macbride

There will be another riprap project on the lake this winter. The lake has been lowered approximately 8 feet for equipment access to shorelines and islands. The early morning bite seems to be best. Bluegill - Good: Anglers have been picking up bluegills on jigs and wax worms. Fish near the bottom around structure. Most fish are 5 to 7 inches. Crappie - Fair: Fish structure in the 10 to 15 foot range. A jig or small spoon tipped with a wax worm is best. The fish have been nice sized (many 10 to 12 inches).

Central Park Lake

Bluegill - Fair:

Pleasant Creek Lake

White Bass - Fair: Some anglers are finding schools of white bass and catching them on small jigs, spoons, or minnows. Catches are being reported in 25 to 30 feet of water. Bluegill - Fair: Try for bluegills around brush or the dam with a small jig and wax worm. Green or black seems to be producing best.

Diamond Lake

Otter Creek Lake

Union Grove Lake

The lake's aeration system was turned on Dec. 21, so be aware of open water at the dam end of the lake. Bluegill - Fair: Fish in the 6 to 7-inch range are being caught around brush on ice jigs tipped with wax worms. Crappie - Slow: A few crappies are being picked up, especially towards dusk.

Lake Wapello

The lake was drained this summer but has been renovated and is being allowed to refill.

Red Haw Lake

The lake's ice is variable. Use caution if venturing out. Bluegill - Good: Use tear drop jigs tipped with a wax worm. Try areas around submerged cedar trees. Some fish have been up to 9 inches in length.

Lake Keomah

The ice is variable in thickness so use caution if heading out. The latest measurements have about 7 inches out in from out the fishing pier and over by the dam. Out further there has been some open water as recently as last week so use caution. Very few anglers have been fishing.

Lake Miami

The ice thickness varies so use caution if venturing out. Some areas have 5 inches of ice. Very few anglers have been venturing out this winter. Remember the lake has been drawn down all year. Find areas with structure and try small jigs tipped with wax worms.

Lake Sugema

Use caution if venturing out. Ice thickness is variable. Bluegill - Slow: Use tear drop jigs tipped with a wax worm. Crappie - Slow: Use wax worms or minnows on small jigs. Try fishing within a foot or two of the lake bottom.

Rathbun Reservoir

The lake is frozen over. The bays and coves have more ice than the main lake. Use caution if venturing out because the ice thickness varies from place to place. The last measurements taken have about 10 inches in spots including Atwell's, Glenwood and the Dedication Site boat ramp. Honey Creek State Park will be closed this winter due to road construction. Crappie - Slow: Try using small jigs tipped with either a minnow or wax worms. Find areas with submerged structure for the best results. The Buck Creek area has been producing some crappies.

The rivers around Iowa City are a little (in most places a lot) too high to fish, but the bluegill, crappie, and largemouth bite has been very good on the ponds over the last week or so.

Lake Geode

Warm weather is helping the fishing. Bluegill - Fair: Bluegills are also moving into the shallows as the sun is warming the bottom making the zooplankton and insects more active. Largemouth Bass - Fair: Look for these fish to be in the shallow bays around the fallen trees looking for small fish to eat.

Lake Belva Deer

The lake is ice free. Not much angler activity.

Pollmiller Park Lake

Bluegill - Fair: Fish are being caught in the shallows with light tackle and small jigs tipped with wax worms. Largemouth Bass - Fair: A few fish are being caught in and around the shallow water habitat using bright colored small spinner baits. Work them slow the fish are just starting to warm up.

Lake of the Hills

There have been about 80 of the tagged trout caught and redeemed for prizes so far. You have until the end of April to redeem a tag for a prize at the Conservation Headquarters at the Park (Gate 3). Their office hours are from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Bring the tag as well as your fishing license and trout stamp. Rainbow Trout - Excellent: Trout are biting on a variety of baits. The Gate 1 and 6 areas are still proving to be the best places to catch them. Don't forget to look for tagged trout. Bluegill - Fair: Anglers are starting to catch a few bluegills in the shallow bays. Crappie - Fair: The warmer weather has brought the crappies into the shallow water. Look for these fish to be around the stumps and other shallow water habitat.

Skunk River (Rose Hill to Coppock)

The Skunk is forecasted to reach bank full levels this weekend before the water level starts to go back down.

Iowa River (Columbus Junction to Mississippi River)

The river is forecasted to peak at about bank full this weekend before starting back down.

Lake Wapello

The lake has refilled and fish were stocked last fall.

Red Haw Lake

Use small jigs around shoreline structures for bluegills and crappies.

Lake Keomah

Try using small jigs fished slowly around shoreline structures. Anglers have been catching some largemouth bass and bluegills.

Albia (lower)

The gate has been reopened.

Lake Miami

Try small jigs fished along the shoreline and along the dam.

Lake Sugema

Use jigs around rocky shorelines for walleyes as the water temperature continues to increase.

Rathbun Reservoir

The current lake level is 908.88 feet with normal pool being 904 feet. The water temperature is ranging in the upper 40s. Channel Catfish - Fair: Fish along wind blown shorelines and use baits like cut up shad or dead chubs.

Hannen Lake

Bluegill - Fair: Size makes up for numbers here. Fish shallow brush with small jigs or worms. Largemouth Bass - Good: Numbers make up for size here. Bass are hitting on a variety of artificial and live baits. Crappie - Fair: Fish around brush and rock. The warmer it gets, the shallower you should fish.

Iowa Lake

Bluegill - Fair: Try around brush or warmer pockets/coves with a worm or small jig. Largemouth Bass - Fair: Try spinner baits or plastics around shallow wood. Crappie - Fair: Fish around brush with small jigs or minnows.

Kent Park Lake

The ponds have been providing better fishing for nice sized bass and small bluegills. Bluegill - Fair: Anglers using fly fishing equipment have been doing well. Otherwise use a small jig or worm along the dam or brush. Largemouth Bass - Good: Anglers are catching bass on a large assortment of live and artificial baits. Look for cruising males in the shallows.

Lake Macbride

The water clarity is as clear as it has ever been. A clarity test was done near the beach and showed a clarity of 22 feet. The farther up each arm you go the less clarity. East of the causeway is especially murky. Crappie - Fair: Fish areas with warmer water with small jigs or minnows under a bobber. Most fish are coming off brush. The clearer the water, the deeper you should fish. Most fish are 10 to 13 inches. Walleye - Fair: Trolling or casting crankbaits in 10 to 15 feet of water has been producing fish. Try a little shallower in dirtier water and a little deeper in clearer water.

Central Park Lake

Bluegill - Good: Look in shallow pockets or flats for bluegills getting ready to spawn. Try small jigs or worms. Largemouth Bass - Good: Sublegal bass are being caught on night crawlers and plastic lizards. Crappie - Fair: 9 to 11-inch crappies have been picked up. Try small jigs or minnows. The north end of the lake has been good.

Pleasant Creek Lake

Remember, there is an 18-inch size limit on bass and 40-inch size limit on muskie. The water is very clear. White Bass - Good: Schools are moving up shallow and along the dam. Try jigs or small crankbaits that are silver or white. Bluegill - Good: Look for bluegills in shallow coves, especially around shallow brush or overhanging trees. Wax worms have been working well. Largemouth Bass - Fair: Crawlers and soft plastics along the dam are producing some bass. Walleye - Fair: Crankbaits are producing a few fish.

Diamond Lake

Remember, no minnows are allowed here. Channel Catfish - Good: Catfish have been hitting on crawlers, especially after rain events. Crappie - Good: Most fish are smaller with an occasional larger one mixed in. Blue or lime jigs seem to work best.

Otter Creek Lake

Crappie - Fair: Some smaller crappies are being caught around shallow brush. Yellow Bass - Excellent: Look in shallow coves or flats for schools of yellows. Try small jigs, spinners, or live bait.

Union Grove Lake

Channel Catfish - Good: Catfishing has turned on recently. Stink bait seems to be producing best. Bluegill - Good: Small jigs are producing bluegill in shallow coves or flats. Crappie - Good: Fish around rock, docks, or wood with a small jig or minnow under a bobber.

Coralville Reservoir

As of May 6, the lake level is 679 feet and water is extremely dirty. Boating above Sandy Beach is not recommended.

Iowa River (Marshalltown to Coralville Lake)

Channel Catfish - Good: The catfish are biting on crawlers. Anglers running bank lines are also having good success.

Iowa River (Coralville Lake to River Junction)

As of April 28 the outflow is 8,000 CFS and is predicted to drop gradually until 2,000 CFS is reached. This is predicted to be achieved about May 7.

Cedar River (La Porte City to Cedar Rapids)

Flathead Catfish - Good: Try below the dams with live bait. Smallmouth Bass - Good: Live bait and artificials have been working well. Try below the dams...especially in Cedar Rapids.

For more information contact the Lake Macbride Fisheries Station at 319-624-3615.

Lake Wapello

The lake has refilled after last year's fish population renovation. Red ear and channel catfish were stocked last fall along with some largemouth bass and bluegill.

Red Haw Lake

Bluegill - Fair: Use small jigs tipped with a chunk of night crawler fished around the shoreline. Largemouth Bass - Good: Use spinner baits around structure or off the ends of the jetties. Use plastic worms in the same areas.

Lake Keomah

Try using small jigs around shoreline structures and jetties. Anglers have been catching some largemouth bass.

Albia (lower)

The gate has been reopened and a new boat ramp has been constructed on the reservoir. Largemouth Bass - Fair: Use spinner baits fished along the shoreline and around areas with submerged structures. Crappie - Fair: Use small jigs along the shoreline and around submerged structure. There are buoys marking areas where cedar trees have been placed for fish habitat.

Lake Miami

The lake is now full from last year's drawdown. Try small jigs fished along the shoreline and along the dam.

Lake Sugema

Bluegill - Fair: Use small jigs tipped with a wax worm or a chunk of night crawler. Look for areas with submerged structure. Largemouth Bass - Good: Use spinner baits or crankbaits around rocky shorelines or submerged structure. Use plastic worms around areas with trees and other woody vegetation. Walleye - Fair: Use jigs or crankbaits along the rocky shorelines. Also try areas in 6-10 feet of water with a minnow fished under a slip bobber.

Rathbun Reservoir

The current lake level is 911.02 feet with normal pool being 904 feet. The water temperature is ranging in the upper 50s to the low 60s. Crappie - Fair: Fish around submerged structure in 8 to 10 feet of water with small jigs and minnows. Some fish are up shallow starting to spawn. Walleye - Fair: Use jig and minnow combinations along rocky areas around the shoreline. The walleye bite has been shallow so far this spring. Please be wary of tagged walleyes and if these fish are harvested please call the hatchery with the tag number.