• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Northwest Iowa Fishing Reports

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

Yellow Smoke Park Lake Fishing Reports

Fishing has slowed. Anglers are catching a few large bluegills. Bluegill - Slow: Good big fish, but not a lot of them.

Crawford Creek Impoundment Fishing Reports

Fishing has slowed; anglers were catching good numbers of bluegill and crappie before latest snow. Bluegill - Fair: They're fairly good sized fish. Use wax worms and fish from the middle of the lake towards the southeast bay. Crappie - Fair: Good sized fish; fish with wax worms from the middle of the lake toward the southeast bay.

Brushy Creek Lake Fishing Reports

The ice is good in the bays and north end; avoid the main lake, ice is not safe. There is open water off the swimming beach. Anglers are catching fair numbers of bluegill and crappie. Bluegill - Fair: Try the north end. Crappie - Fair: Fish are a bit small; fish the north end. Walleye - Slow: Try fishing for walleye in late afternoon with minnows.

Bacon Creek Lake Fishing Reports

Try fishing for trout. Make sure to have a trout stamp. Rainbow Trout - Fair: The lake is frozen over, use flashy lures tipped with a wax worm. We will stock again on Jan. 14.

Storm Lake Fishing Reports (including Little Storm Lake)

Walleye fishing has slowed. There is lots of snow and people are having trouble moving their ice shacks. Walleye - Fair: Fishing has slowed. Try any of the normal hot spots. Good all day but especially around dusk. Try using a jigging spoon tipped with a minnow head or a minnow below a bobber.

Browns Lake Fishing Reports

Fishing has slowed. Anglers are catching some bluegill, they aren't real big. Crappie - Slow: A few 8 to 10 inch fish were being caught before the blizzard.

Badger Lake Fishing Reports

Fishing is fair for nice sized bluegills and crappies. Ice is 9 to 12 inches thick. Bluegill - Fair: Anglers are catching fairly nice bluegills; use wax worms and fish in 8 to 14 feet of water. Crappie - Fair: Anglers are catching 8 to 10 inch crappie; use wax worms; fish in 8 to 14 feet of water.

Beeds Lake Fishing Reports

Ice thickness 6 to 10 inches. Crappies and bluegills are biting.

Eldred Sherwood Lake Fishing Reports

Ice thickness 10 inches. Bluegills are biting on wax worms.

Upper Pine Lake Fishing Reports

Ice thickness 6 to 8 inches.

Lake Smith Fishing Reports

Ice thickness 6 to 8 inches. Bluegills are biting in the late afternoon on wax worms.

Clear Lake Fishing Reports

Ice thickness is 8 to 14 inches. Yellow bass are biting on the west end of the lake; try the Farmers beach area or the little lake. Use a jigging spoon tipped with a minnow head or a small jig tipped with a wax worm. Walleye - Slow: most fish caught are below the 14inch length limit. Yellow Bass - Fair: The best bite is at dusk.

Lake Cornelia Fishing Reports

Ice thickness is 8 to 14 inches. About 3 inches of slush on top.

Rice Lake Fishing Reports

Ice thickness is 6 to 12 inches. Crappie - Slow: Yellow Perch - Slow:

Silver Lake Fishing Reports (Worth)

Ice thickness is 6 to 10 inches. Yellow perch are biting on wax worms and minnows.

Blue Pit Fishing Reports

1,500 rainbow trout were stocked Dec.23

Bluebill Lake Fishing Reports

Ice thickness is 10 to 12 inches. Bluegills are biting on wax worms near the brush piles.

Fin and Feather Lake Fishing Reports

Ice thickness 12 to 14 inches. Fishing is slow.

Elm Lake Fishing Reports

Ice thickness 10 to 12 inches. Yellow perch are biting, will take some sorting to get a limit. Yellow Perch - Good:

Lake Pahoja Fishing Reports

Bluegill - Good: Use small ice jigs tipped with wax worms along the old road bed. Crappie - Fair: Use small ice jigs tipped with a wax worms along the old road bed early in the morning and evenings.

Mill Creek Lake Fishing Reports

Bluegill - Good: Use a small ice jig tipped with a wax worm.

Big Spirit Lake Fishing Reports

Northern Pike - Fair: Use a tip-up with a chub or jigging lures tipped with a minnow along weed lines. Bluegill - Fair: Use small ice jigs tipped with wax worms or plastics at the Grade or north end of Angler's Bay. Crappie - Fair: Use small ice jigs tipped with wax worms at the north end of Angler's Bay. Yellow Perch - Good: Use a small ice jig spoon tipped with a minnow head or wax worm in Angler's Bay or the Grade. Walleye - Excellent: Use jigging lures tipped with a minnow head or a slip bobber and minnow at Buffalo Run in the mornings or evenings.

Minnewashta Lake Fishing Reports

Northern Pike - Fair: Fish along weeds with a jigging lure. Yellow Perch - Fair: Fish the rock bar in 8 to 10 feet of water with an ice jig tipped with live bait.

Silver Lake Fishing Reports (Dickinson)

Yellow Perch - Fair: Use a jigging spoon with live bait or a minnow below a slip bobber. Walleye - Good: Use a jigging spoon tipped with a minnow head at sunrise or sunset.

West Okoboji Lake Fishing Reports

Northern Pike - Good: Use jigging lures tipped with a minnow or tip-ups baited with chubs along weed beds and weed lines in the bays. Bluegill - Good: Use small ice jigs tipped with plastics or live bait in the bays along weed beds fish are scattered so keep moving to locate fish. Yellow Perch - Good: Use small ice jigs tipped with wax worms or plastics along weed lines on the points. Walleye - Fair: Fish rock bars in the mornings and evenings with jigging lures tipped with a minnow head.

Five Island Lake Fishing Reports

Crappie - Good: Use a jig tipped with a minnow head in the mornings and evenings for suspended fish. Walleye - Good: Fish at sunrise and sunset along drop-offs with jigging lures tipped with a minnow.

Lost Island Lake Fishing Reports

Walleye - Good: Use jigging lures tipped with a minnow head along the rock bars in the mornings and evenings.

Willow Creek Fishing Reports

Bluegill - Good: Use a small ice jig tipped with a wax worm.

Upper Gar Lake Fishing Reports

There is open water under the bridge so caution should be used if fishing the north end of the lake. Bluegill - Fair: Fish at sunset with a small ice jig tipped with a wax worm. Yellow Perch - Fair: Fish at sunset with a small ice jig tipped with a wax worm.

Virgin Lake Fishing Reports

Yellow Perch - Good: Use a small minnow below a slip bobber or minnow head tipped on a jigging spoon. Walleye - Fair: Use jigging lures tipped with a minnow head or slip bobber and minnow in the mornings or evenings.

Snow conditions are making it difficult for anglers to get to fishing locations on all area lakes. If parking along roads give plenty of room for passing vehicles. With the amount of snow on the ice, water is seeping up through old snow covered fishing holes and pressure ridges.

I am going to be in the Spirit lake area for a family vac. Does it pay to bring the ice fishing gear. I was thinking about taking the family fishing and possibly staying there a few days later myself. I will be down there on the 13th of Feb. Any info would be great.

I am going to be in the Spirit lake area for a family vac. Does it pay to bring the ice fishing gear. I was thinking about taking the family fishing and possibly staying there a few days later myself. I will be down there on the 13th of Feb. Any info would be great.

Not sure if it is true or not, but a friend told me that if you take a snowmobile out to the middle of Spirt perch fishing is fairly good. Anything closer in sucks from what he mentioned. I've heard that it's be slooooooowwww though.

I wasn't there myself, but the report from three different guys who were all agreed on these things.

1. You can drive just about anywhere on the lake now due to snow crusted over.

2. Perch bite VERY slow, but the ones they did find were out in the basin.

We did get about 4 inches of fresh fluffy snow Monday, so that could hinder travel a bit out there. There are a lot of perch in the lake, so I have to believe the bite will pick up sometime here in the coming weeks.

You can drive wherever you like on Spirit. With that being said. I spent 3 full days in my shack last week. First time I have been skunked in as long as I can remember. Had the cameras down. Had hundreds of perch and several dozen walleyes come through. I could not get anything to bite on anything.

Tried every rig I could. Not only did was the fishing bad. I went outside to drill tip up holes, 20 feet from my shack, around 6 pm. Set the auger down, went in to grab bait, came back and my auger was stolen. AGAIN. Second year in a row.

I was inside for 5 minutes. Bad enough not catching fish, but to have a fellow ice fisherman steal my auger two years running is getting a bit old. I was in the middle of the lake, no shacks around me at dark. Tried to follow the tire tracks and find some of the thieves buddies. No luck.

If you guys find a cheap Strikemaster for sale up there let me know. I would be very interested in looking at it.

Ed

Yellow Smoke Park Lake

Bluegills at Yellow Smoke have turned on. Bluegill - Good: Try using a fly rod and olive haired fly with a bead head, or try using an ice jig under a pencil bobber. Fish are keeper size. Crappie - Fair: Some nice crappie have been caught using the same techniques as fishing for bluegill.

Crawford Creek Impoundment

Ice is off of Crawford Creek.

Bacon Creek Lake

Trout will be stocked on April 17.

Storm Lake (including Little Storm Lake)

Storm Lake is free of ice. Anglers have been catching walleyes in the marina. Daily bag limit of walleye is 3 fish, only 1 of which can be over 22 inches, and all walleye between 17 and 22 inches must be released. Walleye - Good: Anglers have been catching walleye along the east shore and near King's Point. Use a 1/16 ounce lead head with a fire-tiger or chartreuse twister. Cast from shore and use a slow retrieve. A lot of slot fish are being caught, but a number of walleye in the 15 to 17-inch size range are being caught as well.

Black Hawk Lake

Lake is free of ice. Channel catfish have started biting around the lake. Channel Catfish - Fair: Fish the inlet bridge or shore lines where the wind in blowing in. Use cut bait and a sinker and fish near shore. Gizzard shad guts work the best.

Beeds Lake

Panfish have been biting from the causeway. Try using small jigs tipped with minnows for best results.

Clear Lake

Fishing for crappie and yellow bass has been good from the jetties in Ventura. Try using a minnows/jig or twister tail/jig combo for best results. Walleye, white bass and muskie are occasionally being caught at the jetties as well. A few anglers are fishing the east shore of Clear Lake as the walleyes start their spawning run. Remember the length limit for walleye and muskie.

Little Wall Lake

Anglers have been catching crappie from the new jetty on the north end of the lake. Try using minnows or small twister tails with jigs for best results. A few catfish are also being caught while fishing for panfish.

Lake Pahoja

Bluegill - Fair: Use a small jig tipped with live bait below a bobber. Crappie - Fair: Use a small jig or minnow below a bobber.

Big Spirit Lake

Bullhead - Fair: A few fish are being caught with worms at Buffalo Run and the Grade. Bluegill - Fair: A few fish are being caught at the Grade off the fishing pier with small jigs tipped with a wax worm. Crappie - Fair: Use small hair jigs or minnows below a bobber at Templar Lagoon, Buffalo Run, and the Grade.

East Okoboji Lake

White Bass - Good: Fish are being caught around boat docks and bridges in the evenings. Bluegill - Fair: A few fish are being caught at boat docks with small jigs tipped with wax worms. Crappie - Fair: A few fish are being caught around boat docks with a minnow and small bobber. Yellow Bass - Good: Fish are being caught around boat docks and bridges.

Minnewashta Lake

White Bass - Good: Use a jig and minnow in the evenings. Walleye - Fair: Use a jig and minnow at sunset along shorelines. Yellow Bass - Fair: Use a small jig tipped with live bait around boat docks.

Silver Lake (Dickinson)

White Bass - Fair: A few fish are being caught while walleye fishing. Walleye - Excellent: Use a twister tail or jig and minnow along shorelines at sunset.

West Okoboji Lake

Bluegill - Fair: Use a small jig tipped with a wax worm in the canals around boat docks. Crappie - Fair: Use a small jig or minnow around boat docks in the canals.

Five Island Lake

Crappie - Good: Use a small jig or minnow below a bobber around boat docks. Walleye - Good: Use a jig and minnow or small crankbait at sunset along the shoreline.

Lost Island Lake

Walleye - Good: Use a jig and minnow or twister tail at sunset.

Willow Creek

Bluegill - Good: Use small jigs below a bobber along the shore. Crappie - Fair: Use a small jig or minnow below a bobber along the shoreline.

Tuttle Lake

Northern Pike - Fair: A few fish are being caught below the spillway. Walleye - Fair: Use a jig at current seams and eddies below the spillway.

West Hottes

Northern Pike - Good: Use a large minnow or chub below a bobber along the shorelines.

Big Sioux River

Channel Catfish - Fair: The river is still high but a few fish are being caught.

Little Sioux River (state line to Linn Grove)

Walleye - Good: Use jigs tipped with a minnow or twister tail at current seams and eddies.

West Swan Lake S.W.M.A.

Northern Pike - Fair: Fish are being caught below the spillway with jigs.

Fishing should improve with stable warm weather. Remember that walleye and muskellunge seasons are closed on West Okoboji, East Okoboji, and Big Spirit lakes. Spring gill netting for walleye and muskellunge broodstock will begin on Friday.

Yellow Smoke Park Lake

The water is extremely clear at Yellow Smoke Lake right now making it more difficult to catch fish. Use very light tackle when targeting panfish. Bluegill - Good: Use a small bead head fly with a small bobber. Crappie - Fair: Some nice crappie have been caught using the same techniques as fishing for bluegill.

The road down to the boat ramp at Crawford Creek has been reopened. Anglers are starting to catch bluegill and crappie. Most of the fish are being caught on the face of the dam and in front of the campground area. Bluegill - Fair: Crappie - Fair:

Brushy Creek Lake

All boat docks have been put in place at Brushy Creek. Lake is starting to warm up and some bluegill and crappie are moving into the shallows.

Bacon Creek Lake

1,600 rainbow trout were stocked on April 17. Anglers need a trout stamp in addition to their regular fishing license to fish for or keep trout. Rainbow Trout - Good: Use very small spinners or anything else that is small and flashy when casting for rainbow trout. When fishing from shore, avoid the east side of the lake near the playground where the water is very shallow near shore. Rather, try fishing from the face of the dam, the west side of the lake, and the area from the fishing dock below the parking lot to the dam. These are areas where it is fairly deep close to shore and the trout should be cruising these waters.

Walleye are biting at Storm Lake. Water temperature is in the low 60s. Daily bag limit at Storm Lake is 3 walleye. All 17 to 22 inch walleye must be immediately released, and only one walleye over 22 inches may be kept. White Bass - Fair: Some white bass are being caught on white twisters. Walleye - Excellent: Shore fishing for walleye has slowed down quite a bit. However, anglers fishing from boats are doing very well. Boat anglers are catching walleye trolling at a speed of about 1 mph. When trolling, try using a fire-tiger twister with a minnow and target points and rocky areas and dredge cuts.

North Twin Lake

Fishing is starting to turn on at North Twin. Walleye - Good: Anglers report good walleye fishing at North Twin. Twisters, crankbaits, jigs, and chubs under bobbers are catching fish. Yellow Bass - Good: Yellow bass fishing is fast action right now, but the yellow bass are about 7 to 8 inches.

Swan Lake

Crappie are biting at Swan Lake. An occasional bluegill and largemouth bass are being caught. Crappie - Good: Hand-sized crappie are being caught on small jigs at a fairly steady pace.

Snyder Bend Lake

The road to Snyder Bend Lake is closed for resurfacing.

North Raccoon River (above Hwy. 175 Bridge near Auburn)

Water is still high and fairly muddy.

Black Hawk District Farm Ponds

Panfish and bass are biting in farm ponds around the Black Hawk District. Remember to ask the landowner’s permission before fishing privately owned farm ponds. Water temperature at most of the lakes is now in the low 60s.

Beeds Lake

Bluegill are being caught on tube jigs or night crawler under a bobber. Crappie are still being caught as well.

Briggs Woods Lake

Crappie fishing has been fair, try using a jig and minnow or tube jig. A few walleye are also being caught.

Lower Pine Lake

Crappies are biting on small jigs tipped with minnows or twister tails.

Upper Pine Lake

Largemouth bass are biting on plastic baits. Target the downed trees on the shoreline.

Clear Lake

Yellow bass fishing has been good around the Island, Dodge's Point, and many of the rock reefs. On warm days the fish are in shallow but on cool days they are being caught in deeper water. Target them using jigs tipped with cut bait or minnows. Nice sized crappie are being caught near the cattail beds and in the canals. Try using a jig with minnow or twister tail. The walleye bite is improving. Legal sized fish are being caught on live bait while fishing for yellow bass.

Lake Cornelia

The bluegill, yellow perch, and crappie are biting on jigs and live bait. A few walleye are also being caught.

Little Wall Lake

Small crappie have been biting from shore with minnows fished under a bobber or on a jig and minnow setup. Largemouth bass fishing has been good. Try using a tube jig or spinner.

Rice Lake

Crappie are still being caught from shore. Try using a jig and minnow.

Fin and Feather Lake

Bluegills are being caught on night crawlers fished under a bobber.

Kuennen's Pit W.A. (south)

The bluegill and largemouth bass are biting on tube jigs. Try fishing the north pit as well.

Iowa River (above Iowa Falls)

Smallmouth bass are being caught on jerk baits.

Winnebago River

Northern pike are still biting in the Mason City area. Try using a spinner or jig and minnow.

Angling opportunities are the best in the spring so get outdoors and go fishing!

Lake Pahoja

Bluegill - Fair: Use a small jig below a bobber at brush piles and rock jetties. Crappie - Good: Use a small jig below a bobber at brush piles and rock jetties.

Big Spirit Lake

Bullhead - Fair: A few bullheads are being caught at the Grade, Buffalo Run, and Templar Lagoon using worms. Bluegill - Fair: Use a small jig tipped with a wax worm at the fishing pier on the grade or at Templar Lagoon. Smallmouth Bass - Good: Use jerk baits or jigs on rock bars. Largemouth Bass - Fair: Fish at Buffalo Run or near boat docks with soft plastics or jerk baits. Crappie - Fair: Use a small hair jig or minnow and hook below a bobber at Templar Lagoon, Buffalo Run, and the Grade.

Center Lake

Bullhead - Good: Use worms fished on the bottom near the outlet.

East Okoboji Lake

Channel Catfish - Fair: Use a large minnow or cut bait fished on the bottom. White Bass - Excellent: Use twister tails or hair jigs near the bridges, boat docks, and the north shore. Bluegill - Good: Use small jigs tipped with live bait around boat docks. Yellow Perch - Fair: Use small white hair jigs on the north shore. Yellow Bass - Excellent: Use small white jigs near the bridges, boat docks, and north shore.

Little Spirit Lake

Bluegill - Fair: Use small jigs near brush piles. Crappie - Fair: Fish downed trees with a small minnow and bobber. Yellow Perch - Fair: Use small jigs or a minnow below a bobber along shorelines.

Minnewashta Lake

Remember, all 17 to 22-inch walleyes must be released alive. White Bass - Good: Use a white hair jig in the evenings. Walleye - Good: Fish after sunset with a lighted slip bobber and shiner.

Silver Lake (Dickinson)

White Bass - Good: White bass are being caught with twister tails, jig and minnow, or small crankbaits. Walleye - Fair: Fish with a twister tail, jig and minnow, or small crankbait.

West Okoboji Lake

Kids Corner: If you are looking for a place to take children fishing you might want to consider taking them to Triboji on the north end of West Okoboji Lake. There are many different sizes of bluegills in the canal. Use a small jig or bare hook tipped with a wax worm below a small bobber along the boat docks. Bluegill - Good: Use a small jig tipped with a wax worm along boat docks in the canals. Largemouth Bass - Fair: Use soft plastics pitched to cover in the canals. Crappie - Slow: A few fish are being caught in the canals with small jigs or a minnow beneath a bobber.

Ingham Lake

Bullhead - Excellent: Fish below the spillway with worms

Five Island Lake

Crappie - Good: Fish near boat docks or other shoreline structure with a small jig or minnow and hook below a small bobber. Walleye - Good: Use a jig and minnow or twister tail at sunset or trolling crankbaits.

Lost Island Lake

Bullhead - Slow: Use worms in the little lake near the Island. Crappie - Fair: Use a small hair jig or minnow below a bobber at the bridge or in the canal. Walleye - Fair: Use a jig and minnow or twister tail at sunset near the bridge and east shore or drift with crawler harnesses.

Willow Creek

Bluegill - Good: Use small jigs tipped with live bait below a bobber. Largemouth Bass - Fair: A few fish are being caught using small jigs while fishing for bluegills. Crappie - Good: Use a small minnow beneath a bobber.

Upper Gar Lake

Remember, all 17 to 22-inch walleyes must be released alive. Bluegill - Good: Use small jigs along boat docks. Walleye - Good: Use a lighted slip bobber and shiner on the north end at night.

High Lake

Bullhead - Excellent: Fish in the shallow bays with worms.

Silver Lake (Palo Alto)

Bullhead - Good: Use worms fished on the bottom on the west and east shore.

Big Sioux River

Channel Catfish - Good: Fish the current edges in deep holes and at the Klondike Dam with worms, stink bait, or cut bait. Walleye - Good: Use a twister tail or jig and minnow at the Klondike Dam.

Channel Catfish - Fair: Fish deeper holes with worms, cut bait, or stink bait. Walleye - Good: Use a twister tail or jig and minnow along current edges and eddies.

West Fork Des Moines (state line to Emmetsburg)

Channel Catfish - Fair: Use stink bait or cut bait along deep holes and current edges. Walleye - Good: Use twister tails or a jig and minnow along current edges and deep holes.

Walleye season opens at 12:01 a.m. on May 1, on Big Spirit, East Okoboji, and West Okoboji lakes. Muskellunge season is still closed on Big Spirit, East Okoboji, and West Okoboji lakes. Walleye season on Tuttle, Iowa, and Little Spirit lakes open April 30.

Anglers are catching bluegills and crappies at the face of the dam and in front of the campground area. Bluegill - Good: Anglers are catching good numbers of hand-sized fish. Crappie - Good: Anglers are catching good numbers of hand-sized fish.

Badger Lake

Fishing is quickly picking up. Bluegill - Good: Bluegill have moved in near shore and are being caught on small jigs. Largemouth Bass - Good: Fishing for bass has been good using plastics. Crappie - Good: Crappie have moved in near shore and are averaging 9 to 10 inches.

Brushy Creek Lake

All boat docks are in place. The water in the bays and backwaters has warmed up and fish are starting to move in near shore. Bluegill - Fair: Bluegill are being caught on small jigs and wax worms. Crappie - Fair: Try fishing with small, live minnows. Walleye - Fair: Some walleye are being caught on live bait.

Bacon Creek Lake

1,600 rainbow trout were stocked on April 17. Anglers need a trout stamp in addition to their regular fishing license to fish for or keep trout. Rainbow Trout - Good: Use very small spinners or anything else that is small and flashy when casting for rainbow trout. When fishing from shore, avoid the east side of the lake near the playground where the water is very shallow near shore. Rather, try fishing from the face of the dam, the west side of the lake, and the area from the fishing dock below the parking lot to the dam. These are areas where it is fairly deep close to shore and the trout should be cruising these waters.

Storm Lake is still going strong for walleye fishing. The daily bag limit is 3 walleye, all 17 to 22-inch walleye must be immediately released, and only one walleye over 22 inches may be kept. White Bass - Fair: Some white bass are being caught on white twisters. Walleye - Excellent: Shore fishing for walleye has slowed down quite a bit. However, anglers fishing from boats are doing very well. Boat anglers are catching walleye trolling at a speed of about 1 mph. When trolling, try using a fire-tiger twister with a minnow and target points and rocky areas and dredge cuts. Anglers have also had good luck drifting in about 10 feet of water and jigging for walleye.

North Twin Lake

Fishing is good at North Twin right now. Walleye - Good: Anglers report good walleye fishing at North Twin. Twisters, crankbaits, jigs, and chubs under bobbers are catching fish. Yellow Bass - Good: Yellow bass fishing is fast action right now, but the yellow bass are about 7 to 8 inches.

Swan Lake

Crappies are biting at Swan Lake around shore and from the fishing jetties. Crappie - Excellent: Crappie between 7 and 8 inches are being caught as fast as you can reel them in. This is a great place to take kids fishing. Try fishing from shore between the fish house and the outlet. Use a small jig baited with a wax worm or a Barkley crappie niblet under a bobber set 1 to 2 feet down.

Black Hawk Lake

Fishing is starting to pick up at Black Hawk Lake. Walleye must be 15 inches or longer to keep and anglers are allowed 3 walleye per day. Channel Catfish - Good: People are catching their limit of eight channel catfish per day. When the wind is blowing hard look for areas where there is a strong current near shore and cast your bait into the current and let it sit on the bottom. Gizzard shad guts work the best, but cut bait and stink bait work too. Walleye - Fair: A lot of shorts and a fair number of keepers are being caught. Fish ice house point with a leech under a slip bobber set just off the bottom.

Snyder Bend Lake

The road to Snyder Bend Lake is closed for resurfacing.

Panfish and bass are biting in farm ponds around the Black Hawk District. Remember to ask the landowner’s permission before fishing privately owned farm ponds.

Water temperature at most of the lakes is in the 60s. Storm Lake is still the hot spot for walleye fishing in the Black Hawk District.

Beeds Lake

Bluegills are biting on tube jigs.

Clear Lake

Yellow bass fishing has slowed some with the cooler weather. A few fish are still being caught in the early mornings around the island and in the evenings off the docks using small jigs.

Little Wall Lake

Crappies are biting on small jigs or a hook and minnow. A few largemouth bass are biting on plastic baits.

Fin and Feather Lake

A few bluegills are being caught using a worm fished under a bobber.

For more information on fishing in the area lakes and rivers, call the Clear Lake Fisheries Office at 641-357-3517.

Lake Pahoja

Bluegill - Fair: Use a small jig below a bobber at brush piles and rock jetties. Crappie - Fair: Use a small jig or minnow below a bobber at brush piles and rock jetties.

Big Spirit Lake

Bullhead - Good: Use night crawlers at the Grade under the road at the fish barrier. Northern Pike - Fair: Drift a sucker or large minnow below a bobber in Angler's Bay. White Bass - Good: Use a white hair jig tipped with a minnow or shiner at sunset. Bluegill - Fair: Use a small ice jig tipped with a wax worm below a bobber at Buffalo Run, Templar Lagoon, and in Anglers Bay. Smallmouth Bass - Fair: Fish rock bars with jerk baits or jigs. Largemouth Bass - Fair: Fish around boat docks or bull rush beds in Angler's Bay with soft plastics. Crappie - Fair: Use a small jig or minnow and hook below a bobber at Templar Lagoon and Buffalo Run. Walleye - Good: Many fish in the 13 to 16-inch range are being caught trolling crankbaits or drifting with worms or leeches. Fish from shore after sunset with a jig and minnow or lighted slip bobber.

Center Lake

Bullhead - Fair: Use worms fished on the bottom on the south shore.

Minnewashta Lake

White Bass - Good: Use a white hair jig tipped with a minnow or shiner at sunset. Walleye - Good: Use a white hair jig tipped with a minnow or shiner at sunset. Yellow Bass - Fair: Use a small jig along boat docks.

Silver Lake (Dickinson)

White Bass - Fair: Fish at sunset with a jig and minnow. Walleye - Fair: Use a jig and minnow or troll crankbaits at sunset.

Ingham Lake

Bullhead - Good: Fish below the dam with worms.

Five Island Lake

Channel Catfish - Fair: Use stink bait or cut bait at the bridge. Crappie - Good: Fish around boat docks or other shoreline structure with a bobber and minnow. Walleye - Good: Troll crankbaits or drift with live bait. Fish from shore at sunset with a jig and minnow.

Lost Island Lake

Bullhead - Fair: Use worms fished on the bottom in the Little Lake Bay. Walleye - Good: Troll crankbaits or fish from shore at sunset with a jig and minnow.

High Lake

Bullhead - Good: Fish with worms on the bottom.

Silver Lake (Palo Alto)

Bullhead - Good: Use worms fished on the bottom. Walleye - Fair: Troll with crankbaits or drift using live bait. Fish are also being caught from shore at sunset with a jig and minnow.

East Hottes

Bluegill - Good: Use a small ice jig tipped with a wax worm along shoreline structure.

Big Sioux River

Channel Catfish - Good: Fish current edges in deep holes or above brush piles with worms, stink bait, or cut bait. Some channel cats are also being caught at the Klondike Dam. Walleye - Fair: use a jig head tipped with a worm or minnow below the Klondike Dam in the mornings.

Channel Catfish - Good: Use worm, cut bait, or stink bait in eddies or above brush piles. Walleye - Good: Use a jig tipped with a worm or minnow along current edges and eddies.

Channel Catfish - Fair: Use cut bait or worms fished above brush piles or deep holes. Walleye - Fair: Use twister tails or a jig tipped with live bait along current edges of holes.

Little Spirit Lake

Bluegill - Fair: Use small jigs near brush piles. Crappie - Fair: Fish downed trees with a small minnow and bobber. Yellow Perch - Fair: Use small jigs or a minnow below a bobber along shorelines.

Willow Creek

Bluegill - Good: Use small jigs tipped with live bait below a bobber. Largemouth Bass - Fair: A few fish are being caught using small jigs while fishing for bluegills. Crappie - Good: Use a small minnow beneath a bobber.

Upper Gar Lake

Remember that all 17 to 22-inch walleyes must be released alive. Bluegill - Good: Use small jigs along boat docks. Walleye - Good: Use a lighted slip bobber and shiner on the north end at night.

Muskie season opens on May 21. Walleye season is now open on Big Spirit, East and West Okoboji Lakes. All walleye between 17 and 22 inches must be released. There is a 3 fish limit of which only one over 22 inches may be kept.

Badger Lake

Panfish and largemouth bass are being caught at Badger Lake. Bluegill - Fair: Bluegills have moved in near shore and are being caught on small jigs. Largemouth Bass - Fair: Fishing for bass has been good using plastics. Crappie - Fair: Crappies have moved in near shore and are averaging 9 to 10 inches.

Anglers are still catching bluegill and crappie at Crawford Creek, but it has slowed down some since last week. Most of the fish are being caught on the face of the dam and in front of the campground area. Bluegill - Fair: Anglers are catching good numbers of hand-sized fish. Try using small jigs with a wax worm. Crappie - Fair: Some nice sized black crappie are being caught with small jigs. Also, try using crappie minnows.

Brushy Creek Lake

All boat docks have been put in place at Brushy Creek. Fishing at Brushy Creek has been picking up despite the cooler weather. Bluegill - Good: Bluegill have moved in around the trees. Try using very small black jigs and wax worms. Largemouth Bass - Fair: Bass have moved into the shallows. Try casting plastics for bass. Crappie - Good: Crappie have moved in around the trees. Try using small minnows on a bare hook. Walleye - Fair: Some walleye are being caught on live bait during the late afternoon and evening hours.

Bacon Creek Lake

1,600 rainbow trout were stocked on April 17th. Anglers need a trout stamp in addition to their regular fishing license to fish for or keep trout. Trout fishing may pick up in this cooler weather. Rainbow Trout - Good: Use very small spinners or anything else that is small and flashy when casting for rainbow trout. When fishing from shore, avoid the east side of the lake near the playground where the water is very shallow near shore. Rather, try fishing from the face of the dam, the west side of the lake, and the area from the fishing dock below the parking lot to the dam. These are areas where it is fairly deep close to shore and the trout should be cruising these waters.

A lot of legal walleye were caught last weekend. Water temperatures were climbing steadily at Storm Lake until the cool weather set in. Daily bag limit at Storm Lake is 3 walleye, all 17 to 22 inch walleye must be immediately released, only one walleye over 22 inches may be kept. White Bass - Fair: Some white bass are being caught on white twisters. Walleye - Excellent: Shore fishing for walleye has slowed down quite a bit. However, anglers fishing from boats are doing very well. Boat anglers are catching walleye trolling at a speed of about 1 mph. When trolling, try using a fire-tiger twister with a minnow and target points and rocky areas and dredge cuts. Anglers have also had good luck drifting in about 10 feet of water and jigging for walleye. Bottom bouncers also work well for drifting or a very slow troll.

North Twin Lake

Yellow bass and walleye were being caught last weekend at a fairly steady pace. Walleye - Fair: Anglers report good walleye fishing at North Twin. Twisters, crankbaits, jigs, and chubs under bobbers are catching fish. Yellow Bass - Fair: Yellow bass fishing is fast action right now, but the yellow bass are about 7 to 8 inches.

Swan Lake

Crappies are biting at Swan Lake around shore and from the fishing jetties. Crappie - Excellent: Crappie between 7 and 8 inches are being caught as fast as you can reel them in. This is a great place to take kids fishing. Try fishing from shore between the fish house and the outlet. Use a small jig baited with a wax worm or a Berkley crappie niblet under a bobber set 1 to 2 feet down.

Black Hawk Lake

Walleye fishing is starting to pick up at Black Hawk Lake. Bring a lot of bait and expect to catch a dozen or so short fish for every keeper. Walleye must be 15 inches or longer to keep and anglers are allowed 3 walleye per day. Channel Catfish - Fair: Some people are catching their limit of channel catfish (8 per day). When the wind is blowing hard look for areas where there is a strong current near shore and cast your bait into the current and let it sit on the bottom. Gizzard shad guts work the best, but cut bait and stink bait work too. Walleye - Fair: A lot of shorts and a fair number of keepers are being caught. Fish ice house point with a leech under a slip bobber set just off the bottom. From a boat, fish just off of Lakewood Point and use minnows, leeches, or green twisters.

Snyder Bend Lake

The road to Snyder Bend Lake is scheduled to open Friday, May 14th at 8:00 AM.

Panfish and bass are biting in farm ponds around the Black Hawk District. Remember to ask the landowner’s permission before fishing privately owned farm ponds.

Water temperatures have dropped some due to the cool weather, but this weekend should be good for fishing as the weather is supposed to warm up. Storm Lake is still the hotspot for walleye in the Black Hawk District.

Beeds Lake

Bluegills are biting on a piece of worm fished under a bobber.

Clear Lake

Water temperatures have cooled back down into the lower 50s. Yellow bass fishing should pick up as temperatures rise. Try fishing around the island in the early morning with small jigs.

For more information on fishing in the area lakes and rivers, call us at the Clear Lake Fisheries Office at (641) 357-3517.

Lake Pahoja

Bluegill - Fair: Use a small jig below a bobber at brush piles and rock jetties. Crappie - Fair: Use a small jig or minnow below a bobber at brush piles and rock jetties.

Big Spirit Lake

Bullhead - Good: Use night-crawlers at the Grade under the road at the fish Barrier. Northern Pike - Fair: Drift a sucker or large minnow below a bobber in Angler's Bay. White Bass - Good: Use a white hair jig tipped with a minnow or shiner at sunset. Bluegill - Fair: Use a small ice jig tipped with a wax worm below a bobber at Buffalo Run, Templar Lagoon, and in Anglers Bay. Smallmouth Bass - Fair: Fish rock bars with jerk baits or jigs. Largemouth Bass - Fair: Fish around boat docks or bull rush beds in Angler's Bay with soft plastics. Crappie - Fair: Use a small jig or minnow and hook below a bobber at Templar Lagoon and Buffalo Run. Walleye - Good: Many fish in the 13-16 inch are being caught trolling crankbaits or drifting with worms or leeches. Fish from shore after sunset with a jig and minnow or lighted slip bobber.

Center Lake

Bullhead - Fair: Use worms fished on the bottom on the south shore.

East Okoboji Lake

Channel Catfish - Fair: Use large minnows or cut bait fish on the bottom. White Bass - Fair: Use a white jig and minnow at the bridges. Yellow Perch - Good: Use small hair jigs or a minnow below a bobber on the north shore at the spillway. Walleye - Fair: Troll crank baits along rock bars or fish at sunset with a jig and minnow or lighted slip bobber with a minnow or leech. Yellow Bass - Good: Use small white jigs near the bridges in the evenings.

Minnewashta Lake

White Bass - Good: Use a white hair jig tipped with a minnow or shiner at sunset. Bluegill - Fair: Use small jigs tipped with live bait along boat docks. Walleye - Good: Use a white hair jig tipped with a minnow or shiner at sunset. Yellow Bass - Fair: Use a small jig along boat docks.

Silver Lake (Dickinson)

White Bass - Fair: Fish at sunset with a jig and minnow. Walleye - Fair: Use a jig and minnow or troll crank baits at sunset.

West Okoboji Lake

If you are looking for a place to take kids fishing go to Triboji (Lazy Lagoon) on the northwest end of North Bay. Plenty of parking is available with good shoreline for casting along the boat docks. There are many different sizes of bluegills with plenty of action. Bluegill - Good: Use a small ice jig tipped with a wax worm along boat docks in the canals. Largemouth Bass - Good: Use soft plastics pitched near boat docks or other cover in the canals. Crappie - Fair: A few fish are being caught while bluegill fish with small ice jigs tipped with a wax worm. Walleye - Fair: Use a lighted slip bobber with leeches over rock bars after sunset.

Ingham Lake

Five Island Lake

Channel Catfish - Fair: Use stink bait or cut bait at the bridge. Crappie - Good: Fish around boat docks or other shoreline structure with a bobber and minnow. Walleye - Good: Troll crank baits or drift with live bait. Fish from shore at sunset with a jig and minnow.

Lost Island Lake

Bullhead - Fair: Use worms fished on the bottom in the little lake bay. Walleye - Good: Troll crank baits or fish from shore at sunset with a jig and minnow.

Trumbull Lake

Bullhead - Good: Use worms fished on the bottom. Crappie - Good: Use a small jig or minnow below a bobber.

Upper Gar Lake

Bluegill - Good: Use small jigs tipped with live bait along boat docks.

High Lake

West Swan Lake S.W.M.A.

Bullhead - Good: Use worms fished on the bottom. Some fish are also being caught below the spillway.

Silver Lake (Palo Alto)

Bullhead - Good: Use worms fished on the bottom. Walleye - Fair: Troll with crank baits or drift using live bait. Fish are also being caught from shore at sunset with a jig and minnow.

East Hottes

Bluegill - Good: Use a small ice jig tipped with a wax worm along shoreline structure.

Hale Slough

Bluegill - Good: Use small hair jigs tipped with live bait below a bobber.

Big Sioux River

Channel Catfish - Good: Fish current edges in deep holes or above brush piles with worms, stink bait, or cut bait. Some channel cats are also being caught at the Klondike dam. Walleye - Fair: use a jig head tipped with a worm or minnow below the Klondike dam in the mornings.

Channel Catfish - Good: Use worm, cut bait, or stink bait in eddies or above brush piles. Walleye - Good: Use a jig tipped with a worm or minnow along current edges and eddies.

Channel Catfish - Fair: Use cut bait or worms fished above brush piles or deep holes. Walleye - Fair: Use twister tails or a jig tipped with live bait along current edges of holes.

Recent cool weather has slowed fishing but should pick up with warmer weather. Musky season opens on May 21st. Walleye season is now open on Big Spirit, East and West Okoboji Lakes. All walleye between 17-22 inches must be released. There is a 3 fish limit of which only one over 22 inches may be kept.

Anglers are still catching bluegill and crappie, but it has slowed down some since last week. Most of the fish are being caught on the face of the dam and in front of the campground. Bluegill - Fair: Anglers are catching good numbers of hand-sized fish. Try using small jigs with a wax worm. Crappie - Fair: Some nice sized black crappie are being caught with small jigs. Also, try using crappie minnows.

Badger Lake

Panfish and largemouth bass are being caught at Badger Lake. Bluegill - Fair: Bluegills have moved in near shore and are being caught on small jigs. Largemouth Bass - Fair: Fishing for bass has been good using plastics. Crappie - Fair: Crappies have moved in near shore and are averaging 9 to 10 inches.

Brushy Creek Lake

All boat docks have been put in place at Brushy Creek. The water is clear and is starting to warm up. Bluegill - Good: Bluegill have moved in around the trees. Try using very small black jigs and wax worms or a small piece of night crawler. Largemouth Bass - Fair: Bass have moved into the shallows. Try casting plastics for bass. Crappie - Good: Crappie have moved in around the trees. Try using small minnows on a bare hook with a slip bobber. Walleye - Fair: Some walleye are being caught on live bait during the late afternoon and evening hours.

Bacon Creek Lake

1,600 rainbow trout were stocked on April 17. Anglers need a trout stamp in addition to their regular fishing license to fish for or keep trout. Trout fishing may pick up in this cooler weather. Rainbow Trout - Good: Use very small spinners or anything else that is small and flashy when casting for rainbow trout. When fishing from shore, avoid the east side of the lake near the playground where the water is very shallow near shore. Rather, try fishing from the face of the dam, the west side of the lake, and the area from the fishing dock below the parking lot to the dam. These are areas where it is fairly deep close to shore and trout should be cruising there.

Fishing has picked up considerably since last week. Many anglers are catching their limit of 15 to 16 1/2 inch fish. Daily bag limit at Storm Lake is 3 walleye, all 17 to 22-inch walleye must be immediately released, only one walleye over 22 inches may be kept. White Bass - Fair: Some white bass are being caught on white twisters. Walleye - Excellent: Shore fishing for walleye has slowed down quite a bit. However, anglers fishing from boats are doing very well, and are catching walleye trolling at a speed of about 1 mph. When trolling, try using a fire-tiger twister with a minnow and target points and rocky areas and dredge cuts. Anglers have also had good luck drifting in about 10 feet of water and jigging for walleye. Bottom bouncers also work well for drifting or a very slow troll. Use live bait, leeches or minnows.

North Twin Lake

Yellow bass and walleye were being caught last weekend at a fairly steady pace. Walleye - Fair: Anglers report good walleye fishing using twisters, crankbaits, jigs, and chubs under bobbers. Yellow Bass - Fair: Yellow bass fishing is fast action right now, but the yellow bass are about 7 to 8 inches. Yellow bass can be found just about anywhere around the lake near shore.

Swan Lake

Crappies are biting around shore and from the fishing jetties. Crappie - Excellent: Crappie between 7 and 8 inches are being caught as fast as you can reel them in. This is a great place to take kids fishing. Try fishing from shore between the fish house and the outlet. Use a small jig baited with a wax worm or a Berkley crappie niblet under a bobber set 1 to 2 feet down.

Black Hawk Lake

The walleye fishing is fast, but most of the fish are sub-legal. Bring a lot of live bait and expect to catch about 20 short fish for every keeper. Walleye must be 15 inches or longer to keep and anglers are allowed 3 walleye per day. Channel Catfish - Fair: Some people are catching their limit of channel catfish (8 per day). When the wind is blowing hard look for areas where there is a strong current near shore and cast your bait into the current and let it sit on the bottom. Gizzard shad guts work the best, but cut bait and stink bait work too. Walleye - Good: A lot of shorts and a fair number of keepers are being caught. Fish ice house point with a leech under a slip bobber set just off the bottom. From a boat, fish just off of Lakewood Point, Crescent Park, and Shotgun Hill and use minnows under a slip bobber or drag a jig with a leech across the bottom.

Walleye fishing in the Black Hawk District has picked up. Anglers have been catching a lot of 15 to 16 ½-inch fish at Storm Lake. Walleye have been biting fast at Black Hawk, but most are sublegal fish.

Beeds Lake

Crappies are biting on a minnows fished under a bobber. A few largemouth bass are being caught using plastic baits.

Lower Pine Lake

Crappies are biting on minnows fished around the trees.

Upper Pine Lake

Largemouth bass are biting on spinner baits.

Lake Catherine

Largemouth bass and bluegill are being caught fishing near the trees.

Clear Lake

Yellow bass fishing has picked up, try fishing the north shore cattail beds and the reefs. Shore anglers should try the docks. Walleyes are being caught on the reefs using minnows and jigs and a few are being caught trolling spinner baits. Crappies are still being caught using minnows in the rushes and the channels.

Little Wall Lake

Small crappies and largemouth bass are biting fish near the brush with a minnow.

Rice Lake

Bullheads are biting on crawlers fished off the bottom.

Silver Lake (Worth)

Bullheads are biting on crawlers fished off the bottom.

Fin and Feather Lake

Crappies are being caught using minnows and a bobber or a small jig.

Lake Pahoja

Bluegill - Fair: Use a small jig below a bobber at brush piles and rock jetties. Largemouth Bass - Fair: Use soft plastics or spinner baits along shorelines. Crappie - Fair: Use a small jig or minnow below a bobber at brush piles and rock jetties.

Mill Creek (Lake)

Mill Creek Lake would be a great place to take children fish. Bullhead - Slow: A few are being caught using worms near the beach. Bluegill - Good: Fish around docks and other shoreline cover with a small bobber and live bait. Largemouth Bass - Good: Use soft plastics or spinner baits along shoreline cover.

Minnewashta Lake

Bluegill - Fair: Use small jigs tipped with live bait along boat docks.

Silver Lake (Dickinson)

White Bass - Fair: Fish at sunset with a jig and minnow. Walleye - Fair: Use a jig and minnow or troll crank baits at sunset.

Ingham Lake

Five Island Lake

Channel Catfish - Fair: Use stink bait or cut bait at the bridge. Crappie - Good: Fish around boat docks or other shoreline structure with a bobber and minnow. Walleye - Good: Troll crank baits or drift with live bait. Fish with a jig and minnow from shore at sunset.

Lost Island Lake

Bullhead - Fair: Use worms fished on the bottom in the little lake bay. Walleye - Fair: Troll crank baits or fish from shore at sunset with a jig and minnow.

Willow Creek

Crappie - Fair: Fish from shore using a small jig or minnow below a slip bobber.

Trumbull Lake

Bullhead - Good: Use worms fished on the bottom. Crappie - Good: Use a small jig or minnow below a bobber around shoreline vegetation.

Swan Lake

Bullhead - Good: Use worms at the outlet. Channel Catfish - Fair: Use worms at the outlet.

Upper Gar Lake

Bluegill - Good: Use small jigs tipped with live bait along boat docks.

High Lake

West Swan Lake S.W.M.A.

Bullhead - Good: Use worms fished on the bottom. Some fish are also being caught below the spillway.

Silver Lake (Palo Alto)

Bullhead - Good: Use worms fished on the bottom. Walleye - Fair: Troll with crank baits or drift using live bait. Fish are also being caught from shore at sunset with a jig and minnow.

Ocheyedan Pit #1

Bluegill - Good: Use live bait below a bobber along the shoreline. Largemouth Bass - Good: Use crank baits, soft plastics, live bait along the shoreline.

East Hottes

Big Sioux River

Channel Catfish - Good: Fish current edges in deep holes or above brush piles with worms, stink bait, or cut bait. Some channel cats are also being caught at the Klondike Dam. Walleye - Fair: use a jig head tipped with a worm or minnow below the Klondike Dam in the mornings.

Rock River

Channel Catfish - Good: Use cut bait or chubs around brush piles or at the dam in Rock Rapids. Smallmouth Bass - Fair: Use jigs around eddies and boulders.

West OKIE

Water temperature is 74 degrees. Bluegill - Good: Use a small jig or slip bobber with live bait along deep weed beds. Yellow Perch - Fair: Use a small jig or slip bobber with live bait along weed beds. Walleye - Fair: Use a slip bobber and leech or jig tipped with live bait near weed beds or rock bars. Yellow Bass - Fair: Use a small jig or slip bobber with live bait along weed beds.

Five Island Lake

Channel Catfish - Good: Use stink bait or cut bait at the train bridge.

Lost Island Lake

Northern Pike - Fair: A few fish are being caught using a chub below a large bobber. Channel Catfish - Good: Drift live bait along the edge of the rock reef or use stink bait or worms at the bridge.

Lower Gar Lake

Channel Catfish - Good: Fish around boat docks or at the outlet with crawdads, frogs, or chubs.

Big Sioux River

The river is currently flooded and out of its banks.

Rock River

Channel Catfish - Excellent: Use live bait near brush piles and eddies.

Channel Catfish - Good: Fish around brush piles and eddies with crawdads or chubs.

Channel Catfish - Fair: Fish near brush piles and eddies with crawdads or chubs.

Five Island Lake

Lost Island Lake

Channel Catfish - Good: Drift live bait along the edge of the rock reef or use stink bait or worms at the bridge. Walleye - Slow: A few walleye are being caught while trolling crank baits. Yellow Bass - Fair: Fish out from the Blue Wing Marsh outlet with a small jig tipped with live bait.

Big Sioux River

The river is high and no fishing activity was reported.

Rock River

The river is high and no fish activity was reported.

The river is high and no fishing activity was reported.

Channel Catfish - Good: Fish near brush piles and eddies with crawdads or chubs.

Five Island Lake

Lost Island Lake

Channel Catfish - Good: Drift live bait along the edge of the rock reef or use stink bait or worms at the bridge. Walleye - Slow: A few walleye are being caught while trolling crankbaits or drifting spinner rigs tipped with a crawler.

Big Sioux River

The river is still high but dropping.

Rock River

Channel Catfish - Good: Fish near brush piles and eddies with crawdads or chubs.

Fishing has been slow with the recent hot weather but the best fishing has been at sunrise or sunset.

Browns Lake

Fishing has been slow. Small bass and catfish are being caught.

Snyder Bend Lake

Fishing has been slow. Small bass and catfish are being caught.

Southwood Conservation Area Pond (east)

Fishing is slow. Small bass and bluegill are being caught.

The Black Hawk district has received little rain this past week. Water temperatures are in the mid 70s. Catfish are still biting at most of the lakes.

Five Island Lake

Channel Catfish - Fair: Use stink bait or cut bait near the rail road bridge.

Lost Island Lake

Northern Pike - Fair: A few fish are being caught while trolling crank baits. Channel Catfish - Fair: Use stink bait or chubs along the shore. Walleye - Slow: Troll crank baits on the main lake.

Big Sioux River

The river is high but fishable. Channel Catfish - Good: Fish brush piles and deep holes. Flathead Catfish - Fair: Fish brush piles at deep holes with large live bait. Walleye - Good: Use a jig tipped with live bait at Klondike dam or in holes and current seams where small streams enter the river.

Channel Catfish - Good: Fish brush piles and deep holes. Walleye - Fair: Use a jig head tipped with a crawler in holes and current seams.

Channel Catfish - Good: Fish brush piles and deep holes. Walleye - Fair: Fish holes and current seams with a twister tail or lead head tipped with a crawler.

Five Island Lake

No report on ice conditions. Crappie - Fair: Fish for suspended fish with minnows or wax worms along drop-offs. Yellow Perch - Slow: A few fish are being caught while fishing for walleye and crappie. Walleye - Fair: Fish drop offs with jigging lures tipped with a minnow head.

Lost Island Lake

No report on ice conditions. Walleye - Fair: Fish the rock bars while using jigging lures tipped with a minnow head.

Willow Creek

No report on ice conditions. Bluegill - Fair: Use small ice jigs tipped with wax worms/wigglers.

NORTHWEST

Nelson Park Lake

Anglers are catching 8 to 9-inch bluegills at Nelson Park.  Try using a small jig and wax worm or a small piece of night crawler.

Oldham Lake

Anglers are doing well for bluegill in the 6 to 9-inch size range and crappie in the 7 to 9-inch size range.

Badger Lake

Anglers are catching 8 to 10-inch crappie slow trolling small white twisters.

Brushy Creek Lake

Water clarity at Brushy Creek is excellent.  The water in the bays is starting to warm up.  Anglers are catching some nice bluegill with a few crappie mixed in.

Anglers are allowed three walleye per day, all fish between 17 and 22 inches must be released; only one of the three fish can be over 22 inches.  Boaters should use caution on Storm Lake.  The hydraulic dredge is in operation in the east basin of the lake.  There is a pipeline running from the dredge to the shoreline and may rise to the surface at times.  Crappie - Good: Nice crappie are being caught in the State Marina.  Use a small jig and a wax worm or a small minnow under a bobber around the docks and shoreline.  Walleye - Fair: The walleye bite on Storm Lake continues to be slow but has improved over this past week. Larger fish including those in the slot are beginning to bite. Success has been slightly better from shore but the high winds have made navigation difficult.

Swan Lake

Large numbers of black crappie are in close to shore all around Swan Lake and fishing should pick up as the week goes on.

Black Hawk Lake

Water clarity at Black Hawk Lake is excellent.  Anglers are allowed three walleye per day and all fish must be at least 15 inches.  Channel Catfish - Fair: Good numbers of channel catfish can be still caught on real windy days.  Target the points on the north shore of the lake where there are strong currents moving around the point.  The south shore between Cottonwood Point and the inlet culvert can be good too.  Walleye - Fair: The walleye fishing is starting to pick up.  Target the rock piles and rocky points.  Leeches have been working best.  The legal fish that are being caught are very chunky.  Yellow Bass - Fair: Anglers can catch quite a few 8 to 9-inch yellow bass fishing the windward shoreline close to the shore.  The bite dies off when the wind dies.

Southwood Conservation Area Pond (west)

Anglers are still catching crappie and a few catfish.  Bluegills are starting to move into the shallows and anglers are starting to pick up some nice ones.

Surface water temperatures are in the low 70s at many of the lakes.  For more information on lakes and rivers in this area contact Ben Wallace or Don Herrig at the Black Hawk District Office in Lake View at 712-657-2638.

Clear Lake

The yellow bass bite is on!  With the recent warm weather, anglers have been catching yellow bass using small jigs with live bait or twister tails in 8 feet of water or less.   Anglers are also catching some crappie and bluegill in the shallows on jigs.  Walleye are still being caught using the same tactics as with yellow bass, just larger jig heads.

Rice Lake

Crappie and a few perch have been caught from shore using tube jigs and jigs with a piece of night crawler.  A few bullheads have been caught as well using the same bait.

For more fishing information contact the Clear Lake fish and wildlife station at 641-357-3517.

Lake Pahoja

Bluegill - Good: Anglers are reporting catches of bluegill using a bobber and small piece of worm.  Crappie - Good: Anglers are starting to catch crappies in shallow water.

Big Spirit Lake

Bullhead - Good: Many fish are being caught along the north grade.  Some fish have been reported up to 14.5 inches, just shy of the Master Angler size of 15 inches.  White Bass - Good: White bass fishing is good around Angler's Bay.  The new state record white bass was caught on opening weekend on Big Spirit Lake!  Bluegill - Good: Try fishing in protected areas on sunny days by docks.  Smallmouth Bass - Fair: Some fish were reported last week.  Try fishing along rocky shorelines and points.  Crappie - Good: Crappie fishing has picked up on warmer days in protected shallow areas on the lake.  Walleye - Good: Many fish have been caught both on shore and in boats.  The best bite has been at sunrise and sunset near inlets of the lake and the old footbridge.

East Okoboji Lake

White Bass - Good: Anglers are catching white bass on the north side of the lake, the Hwy. 9 Bridge, and along the west shoreline near Hwy. 71.  Yellow Perch - Fair: Some yellow perch are being caught while fishing for white bass and yellow bass.  Walleye - Good: Walleye fishing has been good all week along rocky shorelines and near Parks Marina.  Yellow Bass - Excellent: Anglers on the spillway are catching many yellow bass.  On sunny calm days the bite can be excellent.  Many master angler qualifying 10-inch fish have been caught during the spawn.

Silver Lake (Dickinson)

Bullhead - Good: Anglers are reporting catches of bullhead at inlet areas on the lake.  Yellow Perch - Good: Try fishing along sandy shorelines in the early morning and at sunset.  This lake has many yellow perch up to 12 inches.  Walleye - Good: Walleye fishing has been good on the windblown shorelines at night.  Many large fish have been reported.

West Okoboji Lake

White Bass - Good: Anglers fishing for white bass have had some success in the past week.  Bluegill - Good: Try fishing along docks in shallow bays with a small jig and piece of worm or wax worm.  Walleye - Good: Dock fisherman and anglers fishing rocky points have had success this past week.

Walleye - Good: Try using a jig and minnow with slow presentation.

Fishing has picked up with the warmer weather; however windy days are making it difficult to fish many area lakes.  Walleye season is officially opened on the Iowa Great Lakes and fishing is good!  Remember that there is a protected slot limit from 17 to 22 inches and only one fish is allowed over 22 inches.